Re: Siren 9.0 Released

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks Steven this is cool to see that Siren is living and kicking.
Last year I was browsing the old site and I was sad because I thought it was dead.
Your OSC looks better than the one in Pharo even if we used it successfully to connect interactive tables with a HCI research group.

If you need help to migrate from VW let us know because it would be great to have Siren working in Pharo.
I did not see any Unit tests and the tests saved us when we migrated Moose. Sometimes we even only kept them because they were
better than the implementation. It took us around six months and we got free :)
And we have some contacts that would be interested in London. We could put you in contact.

Now just some questions and you may know the answer so I ask

I was thinking but I may be totally wrong that it was forbidden to give VW images and that the current license
was for personal use only. Long time ago the shrink process was removing the compiler. Now I saw that your image is 42mb.

Personally I do not want to download any VisualWorks distribution and sign their licenses because I want to stay cristal clear
on ANY license and possible issues. I did not look at Visualworks since 2008 and I feel clean and I will stay like that.

So I imagine that I’m not allowed to use your software. I’m not good in music sadly so there is no frustration from my side.

You mention that people can use a non-commercial version of VW but this license does not exist anymore.
Is there a 64 bits version of VW because VW7.5 starts to show its age and on recent mac you only have 64 bits.

Some people may think that we are just over the top on open-source but this is not by accident that we took the responsibility to create Pharo.
We could not distribute Moose our open-source platform so after 10 years of hard work we had to do something. And we created Pharo.
And the problem we got were with the previous version (the non commercial) of the Cincom license and the new one is even more restrictive.
Some friends of mine told me that some lawyers were starting to get picky and send letters around.
So watch out.

BTW I did not see the license of Siren on the git repo. If I may suggest one,
BSD/MIT are nice, avoid GPL because it means that nobody serious on Smalltalk will ever look at your system and contribute.

S.

On 14 May 2020, at 01:40, [hidden email] wrote:

Hello all,

The Siren system is a general-purpose framework for music and sound composition, processing, performance, and analysis; it is a collection of about 350 classes written in Smalltalk-80 (40 kLOC or so). Siren 9.0 works on VisualWorks Smalltalk (though the bulk has been ported to other dialects as well); Siren supports streaming I/O via OpenSoundControl (OSC), MIDI, and multi-channel audio ports. The Siren release is available via the web from the URL http://FASTLabInc.com/Siren

Siren is a programming framework and tool kit; the intended audience is Smalltalk developers, or users willing to learn Smalltalk in order to write their own applications. The built-in applications are meant as demonstrations of the use of the libraries, rather than as end-user applications. Siren is not a MIDI sequencer, nor a score notation editor, through both of these applications would be easy to implement with the Siren framework.

There are several elements to Siren:

* the Smoke music representation language (music magnitudes, events, event lists, generators, functions, and sounds);

* voices, schedulers and I/O drivers (real-time and file-based voices, sound, score file, OSC, and MIDI I/O);

* user interface components for musical applications (UI framework, tools, and widgets);

* several built-in applications  (editors and browsers for Smoke objects); and

* external library interfaces for streaming I/O and DSP math (sound/MIDI I/O, fast FFT, CSL & Loris sound analysis/resynthesis packages )

The best in-depth doc (book chapter) is in,

The read the demo code workbook (this text), go to,
or

If you like to read manuals, take a look at,

or watch the detailed Siren demo at,

The links to get Siren9 are,

Comments solicited.

Stephen Pope

--

                    Stephen Travis Pope   Santa Barbara, California, USA
 <pastedGraphic.tiff>         http://HeavenEverywhere.com        http://FASTLabInc.com

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Siren 9.0 Released

SergeStinckwich

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 4:16 AM Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I found the project interesting, but without a clear licence MIT, I can be involved unfortunately.
Regards,

Re: Siren 9.0 Released

Ben Coman

On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 04:16, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I recently saw an MIT/GPL comparison that I liked which was based on "What Are You Afraid Of?"
* The MIT license is if you’re afraid no one will use your code; you’re making the licensing as short and non-intimidating as possible.   MIT is good for projects with a small audience where you want to maximize community growth.
* The GPL license is if you are afraid of someone else profiting from your work, i.e. how you would feel about that versus how likely it is to happen.  GPL can be good for large infrastructure projects (Linux) to reduce money driven feature fracturization of the community.

cheers -ben

Re: Siren 9.0 Released

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
It is interesting to see that Siren uses PortAudio.  I was considering to recommend adopting it for Pharo in the other sound thread.

It has been used in a lot of projects, but I am a little concerned it has not been recently updated.

http://www.portaudio.com

On May 14, 2020, at 1:15 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Richard O'Keefe
Cincom still has a "Personal Use Licence".
I am running vw8.3pul, and
file ~/vw8.3pul/bin/linuxx86_64/visual
/home/ok/vw8.3pul/bin/linuxx86_64/visual: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped
it is 64-bit.
The paid version of VW is up to 9.0, but 8.3 works for me.

On Fri, 15 May 2020 at 08:16, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

France

Re: Siren 9.0 Released

Stéphane Ducasse
Ok still I’m not sure that we can ship a full image.

I could never understand fully what is a personal license and for me this is super simple I do not want to read any VisualWorks
code under a License that is not MIT. This way laywers will never been able to tell me that I could have been influenced by protected code.

S.

Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16