Re: Slides for a talk on "Why I Still Use Smalltalk" for comments

Re: Slides for a talk on "Why I Still Use Smalltalk" for comments

Roger Whitney-2
Stephen,
        I don't know your audience so I do not know how much computing they do or how much they know about smalltalk so it is a bit hard to know how to direct a talk to them. Your slides are full of facts and details. I would spend a lot less time on that and go for the wow factor first. Show them some applications in Smalltalk. Show them Scratch. Ask them if they could see themselves implementing such a system in their current language/system. I had a student that did a much smaller version for the web. Show them E-toys - draw a figure and then add code to it to animate the figure. Could they do that in Java? Show what can be done in Smalltalk and get them excited about doing those types of things before all the details and history. Show them a work app and modify the code as the app is running. Show them how to modify code and data in a debugger. Show them some of your work and explain how Smalltalk made it easier. Then you can talk about: Smalltalk syntax being very simple - res!
 ult is less time dealing with syntax more time spent on solving your problem, Smalltalk class library - result is writing less code. Now you can give the Realtor's answer to why smalltalk. If you want to talk about history I would focus on the vision aspect - we what to change the world, make computers and programming useful and easy.

> Hello all,
>
> I've put together a set of slides for a 90-minute lecture/demo on "Why I Still Use Smalltalk" to be given to a colloquium of graduate media arts and technology students at UCSB (where I taught from 1996-2010). I up-loaded the slides for your comments; there's a 19-page PDF file (6 slides per page) at,
>
> http://HeavenEverywhere.com/STP_ST80_Talk_Slides.pdf
>
> Your comments/questions are welcome...
>
> (The demo at the start will be using VisualWorks to build the canonical up/down counter.)
>
> (Slide 12 is me and the head of the composition department at UCSB, both in 1984, for context.)
>
> stp
>

> --
>
>  Stephen Travis Pope   Santa Barbara, California, USA    http://HeavenEverywhere.com

----
Roger Whitney              Department of Computer Science
[hidden email]        San Diego State University
http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/   San Diego, CA 92182-7720

Re: Slides for a talk on "Why I Still Use Smalltalk" for comments

Stephen Pope

Great comments -- thanks!!!

stp

--

  Stephen Travis Pope   Santa Barbara, California, USA    http://HeavenEverywhere.com

-

On Jan 14, 2013, at 12:48 PM, Roger Whitney wrote:

> Stephen,
> I don't know your audience so I do not know how much computing they do or how much they know about smalltalk so it is a bit hard to know how to direct a talk to them. Your slides are full of facts and details. I would spend a lot less time on that and go for the wow factor first. Show them some applications in Smalltalk. Show them Scratch. Ask them if they could see themselves implementing such a system in their current language/system. I had a student that did a much smaller version for the web. Show them E-toys - draw a figure and then add code to it to animate the figure. Could they do that in Java? Show what can be done in Smalltalk and get them excited about doing those types of things before all the details and history. Show them a work app and modify the code as the app is running. Show them how to modify code and data in a debugger. Show them some of your work and explain how Smalltalk made it easier. Then you can talk about: Smalltalk syntax being very simple - result is less time dealing with syntax more time spent on solving your problem, Smalltalk class library - result is writing less code. Now you can give the Realtor's answer to why smalltalk. If you want to talk about history I would focus on the vision aspect - we what to change the world, make computers and programming useful and easy.
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've put together a set of slides for a 90-minute lecture/demo on "Why I Still Use Smalltalk" to be given to a colloquium of graduate media arts and technology students at UCSB (where I taught from 1996-2010). I up-loaded the slides for your comments; there's a 19-page PDF file (6 slides per page) at,
>>
>> http://HeavenEverywhere.com/STP_ST80_Talk_Slides.pdf
>>
>> Your comments/questions are welcome...
>>
>> (The demo at the start will be using VisualWorks to build the canonical up/down counter.)
>>
>> (Slide 12 is me and the head of the composition department at UCSB, both in 1984, for context.)
>>
>> stp
>>

>> --
>>
>> Stephen Travis Pope   Santa Barbara, California, USA    http://HeavenEverywhere.com
>

> ----
> Roger Whitney              Department of Computer Science
> [hidden email]        San Diego State University
> http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/   San Diego, CA 92182-7720

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment