Re: Smalltalk Article

allClass-2
You would be amazed what percentage of j.p. morgan's profit comes from
that app (and
the group that uses it). This is one case where a case study didn't
emphasise enough
how important the app is to the business (though as someone pointed
out, the app's success
is probably due to GemstoneS as much or more than VW)

Kelly Hall <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<u8J6d.21636$[hidden email]>...

> Jaroslaw Podgajny wrote:
> > "JPMorgan Derives Clear Benefits From Cincom Smalltalk" - there is
> > GemStone there too.
>
> As a practicing engineer who enjoys seeing niche programming languages
> used successfully, I say bully for JP Morgan.
>
> As a JP Mogan shareholder who has watched the share price drop 15-30%
> over the last 5 years, I say there's obviously a difference between
> deriving "clear benefits" and deriving "significantly profitable benefits".
>
> Kelly

Re: Smalltalk Article

Eliot Miranda
allClass wrote:
> You would be amazed what percentage of j.p. morgan's profit comes from
> that app (and
> the group that uses it). This is one case where a case study didn't
> emphasise enough
> how important the app is to the business (though as someone pointed
> out, the app's success
> is probably due to GemstoneS as much or more than VW)

In this case the value is from VisualWorks.  I'm reliably informed by
people at JPMC that GemstoneS is simply used to persist data and that
all of the "analytics" that constitute the application are implemented
on VisualWorks (apart from some matrix floating-point primitives coded
in C).

--
_______________,,,^..^,,,____________________________
Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd

Re: Smalltalk Article

Bob Nemec
It's a configurable and complex object model.  Mapping it to a relational
database would be non-trivial.  GemStone/S adds value because it can store
the objects natively.  Anyone that has worked on a complex Smalltalk
application with a relational persistence layer knows the pain of that kind
of overhead.
--
Bob Nemec
Northwater Objects

"Eliot Miranda" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:P%F9d.26709$[hidden email]...

> allClass wrote:
>> You would be amazed what percentage of j.p. morgan's profit comes from
>> that app (and
>> the group that uses it). This is one case where a case study didn't
>> emphasise enough
>> how important the app is to the business (though as someone pointed
>> out, the app's success
>> is probably due to GemstoneS as much or more than VW)
>
> In this case the value is from VisualWorks.  I'm reliably informed by
> people at JPMC that GemstoneS is simply used to persist data and that all
> of the "analytics" that constitute the application are implemented on
> VisualWorks (apart from some matrix floating-point primitives coded in C).
>

>> Kelly Hall <[hidden email]> wrote in message
>> news:<u8J6d.21636$[hidden email]>...

>>>As a practicing engineer who enjoys seeing niche programming languages
>>>used successfully, I say bully for JP Morgan.
>>>
>>>As a JP Mogan shareholder who has watched the share price drop 15-30%
>>>over the last 5 years, I say there's obviously a difference between
>>>deriving "clear benefits" and deriving "significantly profitable
>>>benefits".
>>>
>>>Kelly
>
> --
> _______________,,,^..^,,,____________________________
> Eliot Miranda              Smalltalk - Scene not herd

Bob Nemec

Re: Smalltalk Article

NiallRoss
Dear Eliot and Bob,
    in essence, you are both correct.  Both VisualWorks and GemStone/S are
essential to the system's power.  Most of the code is in VisualWorks.
GemStone/S adds certain important capabilities;  as Bob suggests, an
effective customisable native Smalltalk persistence mapping is one.

In my talk at ESUG last month, I described how it was an early design
decision to keep all the financial domain model code in VisualWorks,
GemStone acting as a virtual memory extension at this level, whereas the
infrastructure model that underlies the financial one has code in both
VisualWorks and GemStone.  I mentioned some corollaries of this decision.
Then Adriaan van Os (of SOOPS) gave a talk in which he mentioned that, in
their system, they write all the domain code in a common base smalltalk that
runs in either dialect, so can be moved between VisualWorks and GemStone at
will.

These alternative design decisions seemed to me to represent the two
extremes between the various patterns people can use for domain behaviour.
It's great to have this choice.

            Yours faithfully
                Niall Ross

"Bob Nemec" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:4167dad1$[hidden email]...
> It's a configurable and complex object model.  Mapping it to a relational
> database would be non-trivial.  GemStone/S adds value because it can store
> the objects natively.  Anyone that has worked on a complex Smalltalk
> application with a relational persistence layer knows the pain of that
kind

> of overhead.
> --
> Bob Nemec
> Northwater Objects
>
> "Eliot Miranda" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:P%F9d.26709$[hidden email]...
> >

> > allClass wrote:
> >> You would be amazed what percentage of j.p. morgan's profit comes from
> >> that app (and
> >> the group that uses it). This is one case where a case study didn't
> >> emphasise enough
> >> how important the app is to the business (though as someone pointed
> >> out, the app's success
> >> is probably due to GemstoneS as much or more than VW)
> >
> > In this case the value is from VisualWorks.  I'm reliably informed by
> > people at JPMC that GemstoneS is simply used to persist data and that
all
> > of the "analytics" that constitute the application are implemented on
> > VisualWorks (apart from some matrix floating-point primitives coded in
C).

Re: Smalltalk Article

Jarek@GMX
Another important aspect that GemStone provides is data sharing and
conflict resolution. A feature of a persistence layer, which people do
not always appreciate - they usually think "storing data so one can read
them tomorrow." And data sharing is very important in Kapital.
Like Niall says GemStone and VisualWorks work in tandem in the
application and I would not risk saying which is more important.

Regards, Jaroslaw.