Re: Smalltalk Marketing Idea

Panu Viljamaa-3
Thomas Gagne wrote:

> .... One of the reasons your software projects are over budget on time and money
> is
> the language you're using.  Your company will be paying the consequences of a
> poor language decision for years to come unless you aggressively purge it from
> your development labs. ...

It is amazing what has happened to Linux since IBM started backing it ... on the
42nd Street I see this huge Penguin painted on a building. It governs the city of
Gotham. I think getting a big company behind Smalltalk  is the key to success.

What if  Smalltalk came the dominant language for building Linux applications ?
It would be on its way to world dominance then. Say if something like Dolphin
Smalltalk was ported to Linux and given out for free, the vendor could get their
money back by selling kits to run the same stuff on Windows. Dolphin could be the
Visual Basic of Linux. Remember: Visual Basic was the thing that secured Windows'
dominance. Now that Linux is growing, it's time to have a first class ST
environment on  Linux, free for programmers to use for building open source
software (-  cheap for building commercial applications).

-Panu Viljamaa

> Your programmers think they're using an object oriented language.  Your
> vendors tell you it's an object oriented language.  The trade rags call it
> object oriented, so you tell your customers your system is object oriented.
>
> You're being lied to, and as a result you're misleading your management, your
> shareholders, and your customers.
>
> The reason your project isn't benefitting from the advantages you've read
> about, that object oriented languages are supposed to provide, is because your
> project isn't using object oriented technologies--and the language is
> paramount amoung them.
>
> Smalltalk was the first object oriented language, designed to be object
> oriented, and remains the most object oriented language available over 20
> years later.
>
> Isn't it time your project started exploiting reuse?  Isn't it time your
> developers gained the productivity a real object oriented language provides?
> Isn't it time to eliminate the obstacles to good program design put in your
> projects road to success?
>
> Isn't it time your project used Smalltalk?
>
> Visit www.goodstart.com, www.cincom.com, www.gemstone.com, or
> www.ibm.com/ad/smalltalk for more information.
>
> ---
>
> I would encourage a barage of articles written for JOOP, presentations at
> conferences, booths everywhere, and that the ST vendors be prepared for a lot
> queries, and had better have their class libraries ready to go to support all
> things business-oriented.
>
> What's my interest in this?
>
> I want more customers for Smalltalk products, more discussion, more
> OO databases, more competition in the ST marketplace, more Smalltalk jobs, and
> more smalltalk programmers.
>
> --
> .tom

| The 2nd RFD for the creation of comp.software.patterns has been posted to  |
| 'news.groups. The Call For Votes (CFV) will soon be announced. A copy of   |
| the RFD is available at http://members.fcc.net/panu/index.htm. Be prepared |
| to vote YES when time is here.                                         |

Re: Smalltalk Marketing Idea

Carl E Gundel
Panu Viljamaa ([hidden email]) wrote:
: dominance. Now that Linux is growing, it's time to have a first class ST
: environment on  Linux, free for programmers to use for building open source
: software (-  cheap for building commercial applications).

Well, there is Smalltalk/X for Linux...

-Carl

 Carl Gundel  [hidden email]  Shoptalk Systems
 author of Liberty BASIC, twice a PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: Smalltalk Marketing Idea

Thomas Gagne
What's the status of gnu smalltalk?  Something tells me Linux programmers *may*
have a problem with applications with 10MB image files--or maybe not.  I don't
think they notice the size of Java programs, do they?  But then again, I'm
uncertain how big Java is on Linux.  Judging from postings to various newsgroups
it's not as prevalent as it seems to be on Windows platforms.

Carl E Gundel wrote:

> Panu Viljamaa ([hidden email]) wrote:
> : dominance. Now that Linux is growing, it's time to have a first class ST
> : environment on  Linux, free for programmers to use for building open source
> : software (-  cheap for building commercial applications).
>
> Well, there is Smalltalk/X for Linux...
>
> -Carl

>  Carl Gundel  [hidden email]  Shoptalk Systems
>  author of Liberty BASIC, twice a PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
>  http://www.libertybasic.com

Re: Smalltalk Marketing Idea

Dean Powell-4
Thomas Gagne wrote:
> What's the status of gnu smalltalk?  Something tells me Linux programmers *may*
> have a problem with applications with 10MB image files--or maybe not.  I don't
> think they notice the size of Java programs, do they?  But then again, I'm
> uncertain how big Java is on Linux.  Judging from postings to various newsgroups
> it's not as prevalent as it seems to be on Windows platforms.

GNU Smalltalk is coming along just fine.  I have one of the later
versions running on a Mandrake distro, and I've had nothing but success
using it.  This version takes a bit of getting used to, though, as it's
no longer GUI driven.  You can start the GUI if you like, but the
default now is to use it as a command-line application.  This may seem a
bit odd, but IMHO this has really broadened Smalltalk's horizons (It can
now be used a scripting language a la Perl, only much better.  You can
also use it to run CGI scripts without any special additions to your image).

As for image size...I think mine weighs in at ~2MB.  It's a very
interesting package indeed.  If any Linux users are interested, you can
grab the latest source tarball at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/smalltalk.

Regards,
Dean Powell
Edmonton, Canada

Carl E Gundel wrote:

> Well, there is Smalltalk/X for Linux...

I hope its free  ! ? I tried to install an evaluation version of St/X on W2k, but
couldn't  get it running. Otherwise it's an interesting concept with its Java
capabilities.

-Panu

Re: Smalltalk Marketing Idea

Cees de Groot-6
Thomas Gagne  <[hidden email]> said:
>What's the status of gnu smalltalk?  Something tells me Linux programmers *may*
>have a problem with applications with 10MB image files--or maybe not.  I don't
>think they notice the size of Java programs, do they?  But then again, I'm
>uncertain how big Java is on Linux.  Judging from postings to various newsgroups
>it's not as prevalent as it seems to be on Windows platforms.

I think a big difference between Linux people and Microsoft slaves is
that indeed the first group is used to think for themselves instead
of having collectively shoved Language {X | X e (VB, C++, Java) } down
their throats. So under Linux, there are people developing in C on top of
Xaw, in C++ for Qt/KDE, in Tck/Tk, in C or Python or Scheme for Gnome,
etcetera (with ~5 dominant GUI platforms and ~8 dominant languages, you get
the picture...). Competition, advocacy, etcetera thrives, and people have a
lot of fun. Often, it even happens that these choices are made because a
certain combination best fits the problem at hand (unheard of under Windoze,
but really - it happens ;-)).

Which is good, IMHO. Lots of neat things are invented, and that's way better
than the monoculture that Windows is.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <[hidden email]>
GnuPG 1024D/E0989E8B 0016 F679 F38D 5946 4ECD  1986 F303 937F E098 9E8B

Re: Smalltalk Marketing Idea

S. Philp
Panu Viljamaa <[hidden email]> wrote in message news:<[hidden email]>...

  I love this idea !  I can see the Penguin riding in the Smalltalk Balloon...
  Is someone @ IBM listening ??!! (my feeble attempt at this: cross-posting
  in ibm.software.vasmalltalk).
Sam. Philp