Re: Smalltalk lecture in Africa

Nowak, Helge
Dear Stef,

what kind of lecture would that be and who will be doing it? Or, are you also looking for a lecturer that you'd like to fund the travel?

Cheers
Helge

Re: Smalltalk lecture in Africa

Stéphane Ducasse

> Dear Stef,
>
> what kind of lecture would that be and who will be doing it?

A starter and a bit more advanced lecture: like the ones I did at Timisoara and Turino or Alex did in another city in Romania.
Check my lectures website. I also did one in switzerland in the past in a fachhoschule. And the idea is that we give also the lecture material so that people can
redo after us the lecture.

> Or, are you also looking for a lecturer that you'd like to fund the travel?

Not really for now.
Note that we do not pay the lecture. So in my case I always did the lecture for free. ESUG payed some of the trip expenses and my
team budget often participated to the rest.

Stef

> Cheers
> Helge

BTW note that this was probably a mistake to do all this work and the lectures for free.
Because at the end this does not count.
This is the same for the books I wrote. May be I'm too stupid and I should work on something
else.

When I see how people react when we talk about participating to the pharo consortium for about 4000 K and when
I see the amount of time we spent pushing smalltalk and helping this community, this makes me really think.
After all may be aiming for a better system is not good, I should have just run after money.
I think that now with JavaScript dynamic languages will be really changing the world and Smalltalk does not
look in the picture.

Stef

On Jul 6, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Nowak, Helge wrote:

> Dear Stef,
>
> what kind of lecture would that be and who will be doing it? Or, are you also looking for a lecturer that you'd like to fund the travel?
>
> Cheers
> Helge

Dale Henrichs
Stef,

It was C++ in the 80's and early 90's ... then java ... then ruby ... now javascript:)

You're not doing it for the money:) ... you're not doing it for the fame and glory:) ... you're doing it because it is your passion!

Keep up the good work and follow your passion...

Dale