Re: Solving the documentation problem. Capturing tacit knowledge. Knowledge reuse

Re: Solving the documentation problem. Capturing tacit knowledge. Knowledge reuse

Stephan Eggermont-3
Adrian wrote:
 >What about using a wiki to gather and edit comments
 > (as suggested by Stan) and then integrate them in
 >a second step so that they are kept together with
 >the code (as suggested by Stef)? Just a thought...

I'd very much prefer an in-image solution and avoid
integrating. In-image we have much better version
info, and much better browsing available.

Stephan

Re: Solving the documentation problem. Capturing tacit knowledge. Knowledge reuse

Adrian Lienhard
On Jan 1, 2010, at 14:16 , Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
>> What about using a wiki to gather and edit comments
>> (as suggested by Stan) and then integrate them in
>> a second step so that they are kept together with
>> the code (as suggested by Stef)? Just a thought...
>
> I'd very much prefer an in-image solution and avoid
> integrating.

What I suggested is an in-image solution, just that the contribution
is done via a wiki from which the text is then integrated (i.e.,
copied or even moved). The alternative would be that people directly
write comments in a Pharo image and then commit changes to the inbox.
The wiki may work out better because it is simpler to add and edit
contributions.

Either way you need to integrate. Somehow the changes need to get into
the PharoCore and we want to have review what gets in.

> In-image we have much better version
> info, and much better browsing available.

Yes.

As Lukas pointed out in another mail, one major difficulty is to get
contributions. Unless we have a few people that regularly commit time
to writing and reviewing comments, we won't make progress...

Cheers,
Adrian