Re: Squeak Box

1 message Options

Re: Squeak Box

Christopher J. Demers
I just thought I would bump this over to c.l.s.d for a little clarification.
My Comments are at the end.

"Dan Ingalls" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> "News" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:<A46Lb.39421$A%[hidden email]>...
> > "Dan Ingalls" <[hidden email]> wrote
> > > There are many suppliers of Mini-ITX configurations,
> > > and Nano-ITX is on its way already.  That's why I felt this to be
> > > worth some serious investment.
> >
> > I'm working on a robot and would like your opinion on using a Mini-ITX,
> > Linix, Squeak system like you are vs. a PC-104, Dos, Dolphin generated
exe.

> > How does Mini-ITX cmpare with PC-104?  Is there a smaller OS or is a big
> > Linux really needed for those of us who aren't primarily systems
> > programmers?  And does Squeak perform like Dolphin yet?  Thanks.
>
> It's been a while since I was up on the Dolphin work, and I prefer to
> offer possibilities and let others evaluate them.
>
> What is good about the Squeak Box, and why we pushed it through to
> completion, is that you can do pretty much whatever you like in Squeak
> on any old Mac or Windows machine, move the image over to a CF card,
> and poof you have a product.  The price is nice and there seems to be
> a decent future in the ITX line (probably for PC-104, too).
>
> Regarding performance, as you will find if you check out the links, we
> get 17,362,995 bytecodes/sec and 736,717 sends/sec on the low power
> (533 MHz) processor. There are faster ITX boards (I know 1GHz is
> common), but this is the one we're using.  My guess is Dolphin is
> faster at some things and slower at some, but I don't know all the
> details of their BitBlt, 3-D, Sound, numerics, etc.  Maybe you could
> put a PC-104 Dolphin next to a Mini-ITX Squeak for a sort of battle of
> the Lilliputians.
>
> And, by the way, Dolphin should run just fine on the Mini-ITX, with
> our Linux.  "Just" slip a Linux exectable onto the Squeak Flash and
> run it.

Can Dolphin EXE's run in "DOS" as described in the context above?  I would
think not.  I wouldn't think Dolphin would run on Linux either without WINE
or something, which I think would hamper performance.  Is this Object Arts
Dolphin Smalltalk they are talking about, or something else?  I would love
to be able to do what they are talking about with OA Dolphin.  I just did
not think it could be done.  Am I mistaken?

Chris