Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

If you are going to run for the Squeak Oversight Board for 2020 now is the time to announce your candidacy.  Time is running out!

Now is the time to step up and volunteer!  Serving on the board is a great way to serve the community!

Squeak wants you!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 7:27 PM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

We are off to a great start.  One week down and one more to go.  So far we have 4 candidates for 7 board seats.

In the order they announced:

Marcel Taeumel
David T. Lewis
Tim Rowledge
Bert Freudenberg

We could use at least THREE more candidates!  Hello hello? Is this thing on? I can hear you breathing!

If you are going to run this year, please announce soon!  If you are not going to run please talk to people you know that you think would make a good board member and ask them to run!  It's always nice to have more than 7 candidates!

Also if your email has changed please let me know!  We want to get as many people voting as possible! If you want to vote this year I encourage you to let me know so I can get you on the voters list.  Be sure to get to know the candidates and ask them questions!

Thank you for your participation in this year's election!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe it's been a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven members from our community. The current board members are:

1. Bert Freudenberg
2. Craig Latta
3. Tim Rowledge
4. David T. Lewis
5. Marcel Taeumel
6. Chris Muller
7. Ben Coman For more info on the board please see: https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/ Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6636 Now until Monday 20th of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning! Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she intends to run. During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask questions. I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run. Some people will not run without encouragement. Also, I know that some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster start and just jump right in!

The schedule and process are as follows:
Now until Monday 20th of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Monday 20th of January 2020 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Candidate list is finalized.
Monday 20th of January 2020 4 PM (21.00 UTC): Online election starts.
Tuesday 4th of February 2020 4 PM (23.00 UTC): Online election ends.
Results will be announced immediately after the election ends.

The voting period is two week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started. You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 20st of January 2020 or you will NOT be able to vote. If your Email has changed please try to make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election starts.

--------------------------

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote you should do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me a name and email for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

mechanic
Ron,

Interesting that there is an 'oversight' board but we have to wonder what
oversight is actually applied? There are many queries on here (one or two
from me) showing that there are issues with finding appropriate and up to
date docs covering basic setup and operating issues. As an example, much of
that points to the squeakbyexample.org site which seems to have been taken
over. As well as that, there are many versions of Squeak on the web, and not
much guidance as to which docs and guides work with what versions. There
seems an overall cleanup project missing? I also wonder why there are so
many expert-level queries on a list supposed to support beginners, perhaps
some of that is off-putting to newbies?

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html
tty

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

tty
Hi Ron,

The Squeak Documentation problem is something I am trying to solve via
SeasideDoc.

http://squeaksource.com/@NtNEtETjbH5TQrA0/KZ3_LFF5

I am too busy at the moment to finish it, but if you too are interested in
solving the problem, you might want to take a look at it.

The basic idea is a StackExchange type web interface that draws sources from
existing HelpTopics in the image, and the Swiki and enables "round trip" of
the HelpTopics.

Meaning, that as SeasideDoc grows, it is used to create additional
HelpTopics in-image; creating a virtuous documentation cycle.

Is in alpha, the tools to import the Swiki are in place.
I am/was currently working on recursing the in-image Help topics and
displaying them.

Getting that "round trip" functionality is the critical first step.
Integrating the Swiki (perhaps round trip functionality there too) is a
large task involving tagging and search.
StackExchange style comments with upvote/downvote/reputation system is huge
too.

cheers,

tty

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Ron Teitelbaum
Mechanic,

I'm not sure where you got the squeakbyexample.org url but the website seems to point to here: https://hal.inria.fr/inria-00441576/document from here https://squeak.org/documentation/

Having the documentation be outdated and not working with the current version is a problem for software all around the world. Even more so for an open source community.  I completely agree with you that beginner samples need to be maintained so that they stay relevant to new versions of the software.  Unfortunately, that is a very difficult thing to do.  It would be nice to have a seperate version specific documentation section on the website and a team of people who would move the documentation forward on each new release. What we need to make that happen is the web team to provide that framework for the documentation and a documentation team to volunteer to do the work and write or modify the docs.

Tty's method http://www.squeaksource.com/SeasideDoc.html is nice because it is documentation that goes with the program and it's versioned but it would be better to have something that is accessible and filterable by version on the squeak.org website.

We just may not have the resources we need to make that happen. By the way have you looked at the http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak and https://squeak.org/documentation/ pages?  There is a lot of really good documentation out there but it does take some digging and you probably will run into issues related to different versions.  Much of it should still be relevant.  If you run into issues we are here to help!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 7:16 AM mechanic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

robert.kuropkat

FWIW, I personally believe regaining control of old domains referenced in these books would be highly valuable, even if the just redirect to squeak.org for a short time.

I personally would be interested in helping with documentation of these old resources so they "just work" as described in the books.  Ideally, I would like to use that as a lead into updating these images (and documentation) to work on the latest versions of Squeak.  My understanding is the Squeak by Example book/resources may already been in the process of being updated under Pharo.  However, the Learn Squeak by Programming Robots is not and this particular one is WAY to useful for introducing children.  I am currently using both of these resources to teach Middle/High School students and I am very pleased with how successful it has been.

Robert Kuropkat

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 11:29:37 -0500
> [...]

>>appropriate and up to
>> date docs covering basic setup and operating issues. As
>>an example, much of
>> that points to the squeakbyexample.org site which seems
>>to have been taken
>> over. As well as that, there are many versions of Squeak
>>on the web, and
>> not
>> much guidance as to which docs and guides work with what
>>versions. There
>> seems an overall cleanup project missing? I also wonder
>>why there are so
>> many expert-level queries on a list supposed to support
>>beginners, perhaps
>> some of that is off-putting to newbies?
>>

>> --
>> Sent from:
>>http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Nicola Mingotti

Thank you John-Reed for filling the last spot.

I would have stepped in, but I prefer somebody with more experience did it.

=> I can still be a newbie for while :)

bye

Nicola