Re: [SqueakDBX] Re: [Pharo-project] PharoCasts with experts

Re: [SqueakDBX] Re: [Pharo-project] PharoCasts with experts

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:03 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Actually I'm training remotely a developer on Pharo using Skype and TeamViewer. This guy records all sessions for its own purpose and I like the idea.

For PharoCasts I would like to record 30mn to 1 hour sessions (as I know you don't have time) with an expert who shows us real code, explaining a framework / programming style / pattern while programming some examples (in the spirit of PharoCasts, and may be http://forum.world.st/Screencast-proposition-Watch-someone-read-code-td3244804.html ).

Right now I'm thinking about:
- Mariano on DBXTalk

Hi Laurent. I will be happy to do one, but I won't have time until 2 weeks. But after that, I will try.

Cool !

I have NO IDEA how to do an screencast, but I can try.

You speak & code, I ask & record :)

We can start with:
- what SqueakDBX is ?

One of the commonly needed things to be able to bring food to your kinds while doing Smalltalk :)

- how can I load it and make it works
- do some basic select / update / insert requests and explore results
- the cool stuff you like

Ok. Perfect. If everything goes well, we can do after a GlorpDBX one ;)

BTW, I think it is a good moment to said that our website has a lot of documentation and we welcome any feedback.
In www.squeakdbx.org you can find a lot of documentation. If you dare, there are also some videos of talks/presentations we have been doing in the last years...but we aware...I have an ugly spanglish voice :)    Luckely, there are slides also: http://www.squeakdbx.org/media

Let's do a first one, we'll improve later.

Laurent.

I cc'ed the SqueakDBX mailing list since I am all ears to hear what people want to see about SqueakDBX.  In you have something in mind, please let me know.

- Gary on Polymorph
- Igor on VM debugging or FFI / NativeBoost (for example interfacing with http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/ or other lib)
- Lukas on Magritte or PetitParser
- Dale on Metacello
- Nicolas on Iliad
- Janko on Aida/Web

and all that I forgot ..... I'm sure plenty of people would like their open-source project to be more known. This may be an opportunity.

How to do this: contact me if you wish to do that so we can choose an hour that match our respective calendars and agree on tools used (skype, google video chat, vnc, teamviewer, ....) - I will care about video stuff. Just talk and code :)

Anyone ?

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Re: [SqueakDBX] Re: [Pharo-project] PharoCasts with experts

Stéphane Ducasse
What I suggest is: DOIT and think later.
Learn and progress no ultimate goal, just one after the other.

> Actually I'm training remotely a developer on Pharo using Skype and TeamViewer. This guy records all sessions for its own purpose and I like the idea.
>
> For PharoCasts I would like to record 30mn to 1 hour sessions (as I know you don't have time) with an expert who shows us real code, explaining a framework / programming style / pattern while programming some examples (in the spirit of PharoCasts, and may be http://forum.world.st/Screencast-proposition-Watch-someone-read-code-td3244804.html ).
>
> Right now I'm thinking about:
> - Mariano on DBXTalk
>
> Hi Laurent. I will be happy to do one, but I won't have time until 2 weeks. But after that, I will try.
>
> Cool !
>

> I have NO IDEA how to do an screencast, but I can try.
>
> You speak & code, I ask & record :)
>
> We can start with:
> - what SqueakDBX is ?
>
> One of the commonly needed things to be able to bring food to your kinds while doing Smalltalk :)
>
> - how can I load it and make it works
> - do some basic select / update / insert requests and explore results
> - the cool stuff you like
>
> Ok. Perfect. If everything goes well, we can do after a GlorpDBX one ;)
>
> BTW, I think it is a good moment to said that our website has a lot of documentation and we welcome any feedback.
> In www.squeakdbx.org you can find a lot of documentation. If you dare, there are also some videos of talks/presentations we have been doing in the last years...but we aware...I have an ugly spanglish voice :)    Luckely, there are slides also: http://www.squeakdbx.org/media
>

> Let's do a first one, we'll improve later.
>
> Laurent.
>
> I cc'ed the SqueakDBX mailing list since I am all ears to hear what people want to see about SqueakDBX.  In you have something in mind, please let me know.
>
> - Gary on Polymorph
> - Igor on VM debugging or FFI / NativeBoost (for example interfacing with http://id3lib.sourceforge.net/ or other lib)
> - Lukas on Magritte or PetitParser
> - Dale on Metacello
> - Nicolas on Iliad
> - Janko on Aida/Web
>
> and all that I forgot ..... I'm sure plenty of people would like their open-source project to be more known. This may be an opportunity.
>

> How to do this: contact me if you wish to do that so we can choose an hour that match our respective calendars and agree on tools used (skype, google video chat, vnc, teamviewer, ....) - I will care about video stuff. Just talk and code :)
>

> Anyone ?
>

> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs
>
> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st

Re: [SqueakDBX] Re: [Pharo-project] PharoCasts with experts

laurent laffont
Mariano,

I will contact you in two weeks so we can setup this.

Laurent.