Re: Stencils in Etoys

Steve Thomas
Subbu,

Thanks this is a lot of fun and useful. So I tried to use it for fractions (although I really like your art work project at Ofset better, but I am thinking about fractions lately)

I used the "do menu item | stencil a sketch" scripting tile in a "Mouse Down" script.  The rectangle then moves forward by its width.   So with a series of successive clicks you can make a fraction.

It get's my vote for inclusion in the next release.

Thanks,
Stephen

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 10:02 PM, K. K. Subramaniam <kksubbu.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Steve,

I have attached a patch to Morphic that adds three functions to 'extras...'
menu for any Morph. These enable anyone to quick convert an assembly of morphs
into a sketch (e.g. a car assembled using rectangles and ellipses), use any
morph as a stencil to cut out a sketch from underlying screen area and to
create silhouette (shadow) sketch respectively.

To use the patch, just drop it into Etoys and select "file it in". I would
appreciate it if you could use it and let me know if it is useful. If so, I
will send it to Etoys Inbox.

Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

K K Subbu
On Saturday 23 Jul 2011 10:06:05 AM Steve Thomas wrote:
> Thanks this is a lot of fun and useful. So I tried to use it for fractions
> (although I really like your art work project at Ofset
> <http://community.ofset.org/index.php/Grab_area_button>better, but I am
> thinking about fractions lately)
Art and Math are not treated differently (at least in ancient India). Art is
just high level maths. I wrote the patch to help Susanne Guyader, an 80+ year
old artist who used Squeak/Etoys to guide art teachers in France. She deserves
all the credit for the Art and Squeak project.

> I used the "do menu item | stencil a sketch" scripting tile in a "Mouse
> Down" script.  The rectangle then moves forward by its width.   So with a
> series of successive clicks you can make a fraction.
Exactly! Stencils allow children to explore the math behind the patterns. It
is difficult for them to perceive the difference between 1/8 and 3/8 without
visual aids in the beginning. Unlike charts, Etoys is interactive. Unlike
paper or cardboard, it allows children to repeat any number of times without
waste.

Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

Steve Thomas
Subbu,

Would it be possible to have a tile that instead of "Handing me a sketch," allows me to set a player or graphic variable to the sketch? Perhaps, "Graphic under"

Stephen

On Tuesday 26 Jul 2011 9:37:35 AM Steve Thomas wrote:
> Would it be possible to have a tile that instead of "Handing me a sketch,"
> allows me to set a player or graphic variable to the sketch? Perhaps,
> "Graphic under"
With this patch loaded, you can use withStencil: method on SketchMorph class
to generate a sketch morph. E.g.
     myvar := SketchMorph withStencil: self costume renderedMorph.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

Karl Ramberg
Hi
Could you add this change set to the issue tracker for possible inclusion?
Thanks,
Karl

On Tuesday 26 Jul 2011 11:36:17 PM karl ramberg wrote:
> Hi
> Could you add this change set to the issue tracker for possible inclusion?
> http://tracker.squeakland.org
Will do it by this weekend. My Dev image (#2379) is quite a few patches behind
the trunk.

Etoys was under feature freeze for 4.x when I was working on this piece. Now
that it is open for new features, I will submit it to Inbox.

Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

Steve Thomas
Subbu,

If the alpha of the object is 0 "stencil a sketch" stencils an almost invisible sketch. If alpha >=1 it generates a sketch (that looks like alpha=100).

I like the behavior where I can place an alpha>0  playfield or rectangle in front (or behind either seems to take a "screen shot") an section of the screen I want to sketch and that the sketch is the equivalent of alpha =100 (even if my playfield/rectangle has alpha < 100).  Would be a "nice to have" if when the alpha=0, my sketch is still the equivalent of alpha=100.

Sorry for the nitpicking ;)

Thanks,
Stephen

On Wednesday 27 Jul 2011 9:31:55 AM Steve Thomas wrote:
> I like the behavior where I can place an alpha>0  playfield or rectangle in
> front (or behind either seems to take a "screen shot") an section of the
> screen I want to sketch and that the sketch is the equivalent of alpha =100
> (even if my playfield/rectangle has alpha < 100).  Would be a "nice to
> have" if when the alpha=0, my sketch is still the equivalent of alpha=100.
Try using the silhouette of the sketch as a stencil. I realize it is a two-
step process but it keeps both options open.

Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

K K Subbu
On Wednesday 27 Jul 2011 6:45:25 AM K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 Jul 2011 11:36:17 PM karl ramberg wrote:
> > Hi
> > Could you add this change set to the issue tracker for possible
> > inclusion? http://tracker.squeakland.org
>
> Will do it by this weekend. My Dev image (#2379) is quite a few patches
> behind the trunk.
>
> Etoys was under feature freeze for 4.x when I was working on this piece.
> Now that it is open for new features, I will submit it to Inbox.
Done. The changeset is in EtoysInbox and the tracker issue is SQ-971.

Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

K K Subbu
On Tuesday 26 Jul 2011 9:37:35 AM Steve Thomas wrote:
> Would it be possible to have a tile that instead of "Handing me a sketch,"
> allows me to set a player or graphic variable to the sketch? Perhaps,
> "Graphic under"

You could also look at creating buttons with the following statements:

 stencil := EllipseMorph fromHand: ActiveHand.
  Creates an EllipseMorph interactively (pick center and extent). Ditto for
RectangleMorph.

EllipseMorph newFrom: ActiveHand.
RectangleMorph newFrom: ActiveHand.
PolygonMorph newFrom: ActiveHand.
  button friendly versions for creating shapes directly in the world.

SketchMorph fromPolygon.
SketchMorph fromLasso.
World grabFloodFromScreen: nil.
  Button friendly versions of 'grab with rubber band', 'grab with lasso' and
'grab flood area'.

    shadow := SketchMorph withForm: someMorph silhouetteForm.
    sketchBelow := SketchMorph withStencil: someMorph.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

Karl Ramberg
I looked at this and it's generally a nice addition.

Some comments:
The additions to the WorldMenu are not useful to Etoys since we don't have the WorldMenu.
These additions are:

Grab rectangle from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
Grab lasso from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.

Grab polygon from screen.
Grab flood area from screen. These two would be nice to to add to for example the Supplies flap. But they must the be made into buttons as the Grab patch and Lasso already are.

Karl

On Tuesday 29 Nov 2011 3:11:25 PM karl ramberg wrote:
> Hi,
> I looked at this and it's generally a nice addition.
>
> Some comments:
> The additions to the WorldMenu are not useful to Etoys since we don't have
> the WorldMenu.
You're right. I didn't have time to wrap the methods into tiles. I just put
the tool buttons into WorldMenu as a temp measure.

> These additions are:
>
> Grab rectangle from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
> Grab lasso from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
Digging into Supplies flap for tools breaks the flow of thought while working on
shapes. I liked the way Sutherland manipulated shapes directly. It is much
more intuitive to sketch a shape directly and use it as a 'cutter' than to
have to choose between rectangle/lasso/flood tools.

> Grab polygon from screen.
> Grab flood area from screen. These two would be nice to to add to for
> example the Supplies flap. But they must the be made into buttons as the
> Grab patch and Lasso already are.
True, though I am not sure if that is the best way. Grab tools are messy when
the same cut has to be repeated ("cookie cutter"). If the methods are added to
morphs, they can be invoked through scripts/tiles. Then kids can create their
own tool buttons.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Stencils in Etoys

Karl Ramberg

2011/12/1 K. K. Subramaniam <[hidden email]>
On Tuesday 29 Nov 2011 3:11:25 PM karl ramberg wrote:
> Hi,
> I looked at this and it's generally a nice addition.
>
> Some comments:
> The additions to the WorldMenu are not useful to Etoys since we don't have
> the WorldMenu.
You're right. I didn't have time to wrap the methods into tiles. I just put
the tool buttons into WorldMenu as a temp measure.

I don't know where to put them.
Maybe a sub menu with a stay up button or a tear out palette from the supplies flap could be nice ?

> These additions are:
>
> Grab rectangle from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
> Grab lasso from screen. We already have that in the Supplies flap.
Digging into Supplies flap for tools breaks the flow of thought while working on
shapes. I liked the way Sutherland manipulated shapes directly. It is much
more intuitive to sketch a shape directly and use it as a 'cutter' than to
have to choose between rectangle/lasso/flood tools.

> Grab polygon from screen.
> Grab flood area from screen. These two would be nice to to add to for
> example the Supplies flap. But they must the be made into buttons as the
> Grab patch and Lasso already are.
True, though I am not sure if that is the best way. Grab tools are messy when
the same cut has to be repeated ("cookie cutter"). If the methods are added to
morphs, they can be invoked through scripts/tiles. Then kids can create their
own tool buttons.

Yes.
We have to find a good place for  these tools.
The ZOO images have separate palettes and those seems pretty nice.

Karl