Re: Store Publish Speed VW7.7 -- very slow ...

Re: Store Publish Speed VW7.7 -- very slow ...

Steven Kelly

Just to come back to this:

I just published a bundle, and saw the class names again. All 5 packages within the bundle were already published earlier; the only change was which version of the 3rd package was included in the bundle (its old and new versions had both been published with 7.7, and had binFile=nil). The transcript listed only things from packages 1, 2 and 5; nothing from 3 or 4. Packages 3 and 4 are significantly bigger than the others, and are changed more frequently (1, 2 and 5 were last published in 2003/4; 3 and 4 were published this year, both at least once from 7.7). The things listed in the transcript were all classes and namespaces defined in packages 1, 2 and 5, and all shared variables defined in them.

All package versions published before 7.7 still have binFile = ‘’, all since have binFile = nil. As you know, bundles don’t have binFile.

HTH,

Steve

Re: Store Publish Speed VW7.7 -- very slow ...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Steven, here I simply changed the test to treat '' same as nil, because even after fixing all dbs I saw some newly published stuff from 7.6 stream revert back to that value and I needed a smooth transition path from one to the other... Maybe once we're fully on 7.7 I will revisit.

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

--

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Store Publish Speed VW7.7 -- very slow ...

Steven Kelly

Thanks Boris; do you mean the test in Store.Glorp.StorePundleWriter>>prepareBinarySaveFor:?

Looks like things are being published binary after all: “session read: StoreParcelRecord” returns lots of recent versions that really have StoreBinaryBlobs. Darn. However, it looks like those StoreParcelRecords are orphans: the packages in question have parcel=nil. So publishing is doing some unnecessary work, but loading those packages won’t load them binary. I think.

Steve

> [...]

> Just trying to be helpful.
>
>                                  And So It Goes
>                                       Sames
>
> Samuel S. Shuster [|]
> VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
> Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

Dennis Smith                                       +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada                              http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

--

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: Store Publish Speed VW7.7 -- very slow ...

Samuel S. Shuster-2

On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Steven Kelly wrote:

> Thanks Boris; do you mean the test in Store.Glorp.StorePundleWriter>>prepareBinarySaveFor:?
>
> Looks like things are being published binary after all: “session read: StoreParcelRecord” returns lots of recent versions that really have StoreBinaryBlobs. Darn. However, it looks like those StoreParcelRecords are orphans: the packages in question have parcel=nil. So publishing is doing some unnecessary work, but loading those packages won’t load them binary. I think.
>
> Steve

Here are two method changes that are slated for 7.8 that will hopefully fix the problem:

They both do a version of:
        self binarySave
                ifTrue: [self prepareBinary]
                ifFalse: [self pundle isPackage ifTrue: [self pundle binFile: nil]].

This takes the Specification's note of if it should be saved binary, and if not, FORCES binFile: to be nil

                                And So It Goes
                                     Sames

Samuel S. Shuster [|]
VisualWorks Engineering, Store Project
Smalltalk Enables Success -- What Are YOU Using?

updateItems.st (2K) Download Attachment