Re: Thanks for your inquiry from OER Glue!

Re: Thanks for your inquiry from OER Glue!

Steve Thomas-2
Bert,

Can you explain to Justin about the Etoys plug-in so he can understand how it works and incorporate into  OER Glue?

Thanks,
Stephen

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Justin Ball <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Would you mind adding a story for Etoys? I think I need to better
understand how it works. It looks like it is a browser plugin. If it
runs in a web page you should be able to use OER Glue to add other
items to that page right now. The next trick, I think, is to find a
way to embed the right code into other web pages that would trigger
the Etoys plugin to run. Again, I'm not familiar with it so I'll have
to see how it works and what it provides so that we can figure out the
best integration.

Thanks,
Justin

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Joel Duffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
> Thanks for your interest and willingness to work with us!
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM, OER Glue <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> name: Stephen Thomas
>> utf8: ✓
>> phone: <a href="tel:609-240-2228">609-240-2228
>> message: I got the acceptance to Pivotal Tracker, but I do not have an Add
>> Story button (which may be your intention and that's fine) and I do not know
>> how to report bugs using OERGlue.
>
> I've changed your role in Tracker. You should be able to add stories now.
>

>> Also you added a IceBox item for integrate with Scratch, could you please
>> add one for integrate with Etoys (it's an experiment from Alan Kay and the
>> folks at VPRI, that escaped into the wild) I am on the Etoys education
>> committee and I want to experiment with using OERGlue and Etoys. In
>> particular having a Etoy running in the Web Browser with OERGlue on the
>> page.
>
> That sounds great! Please add a story. I think Justin is already looking
> into this. I think we can make it happen and we would like to.
> Joel
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen
>> email: Met on Natural Math Event (aka MrSteve)

Re: Thanks for your inquiry from OER Glue!

Bert Freudenberg
Well it's just a regular browser plugin triggered by the "application/x-squeak-source" MIME type (or an OCX control for Internet Explorer). The "src" argument points to an Etoys project.

Here is an example, one of Steve's own projects:

http://squeakland.org/showcase/project.jsp?id=7744

Clicking "launch" opens a new window with the plugin showing the project. The actual plugin embed code is generated using JavaScript to deal with platform differences.

- Bert -

On 31.03.2011, at 18:41, Steve Thomas wrote:

Bert,

Can you explain to Justin about the Etoys plug-in so he can understand how it works and incorporate into  OER Glue?

Thanks,
Stephen

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Justin Ball <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stephen,

Would you mind adding a story for Etoys? I think I need to better
understand how it works. It looks like it is a browser plugin. If it
runs in a web page you should be able to use OER Glue to add other
items to that page right now. The next trick, I think, is to find a
way to embed the right code into other web pages that would trigger
the Etoys plugin to run. Again, I'm not familiar with it so I'll have
to see how it works and what it provides so that we can figure out the
best integration.

Thanks,
Justin

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Joel Duffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
> Thanks for your interest and willingness to work with us!
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM, OER Glue <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> name: Stephen Thomas
>> utf8: ✓
>> phone: <a href="tel:609-240-2228">609-240-2228
>> message: I got the acceptance to Pivotal Tracker, but I do not have an Add
>> Story button (which may be your intention and that's fine) and I do not know
>> how to report bugs using OERGlue.
>
> I've changed your role in Tracker. You should be able to add stories now.
>

>> Also you added a IceBox item for integrate with Scratch, could you please
>> add one for integrate with Etoys (it's an experiment from Alan Kay and the
>> folks at VPRI, that escaped into the wild) I am on the Etoys education
>> committee and I want to experiment with using OERGlue and Etoys. In
>> particular having a Etoy running in the Web Browser with OERGlue on the
>> page.
>
> That sounds great! Please add a story. I think Justin is already looking
> into this. I think we can make it happen and we would like to.
> Joel
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stephen
>> email: Met on Natural Math Event (aka MrSteve)

Re: Thanks for your inquiry from OER Glue!

Steve Thomas-2
Justin, here is a <a href="Justin, here is a page on Blogger with the plugin inside an iframe http://mrstevesscience.blogspot.com/2011/03/oer-glue-first-test.html">page on Blogger with the plugin inside an iframe which would work, but that would require folks to build a separate page or we change our launcher to put the etoy project within an iframe on the web page.

Ideally folks would be able to view an Etoy in a web page (click here for sample you will need to have Etoys installed to actually see the project) and be able put it into the  "Snippet Collector".

Stephen

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Justin Ball <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds easy enough. So what type of integration do you envision? Would
you want to embed an object in an arbitrary page? Seems like we could
create a custom widget pretty easily, but the user would have to know
the url and paste it in.

Thanks,
Justin