Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

12

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Frank Shearar
On 2011/03/31 12:38, [hidden email] wrote:

> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-fbs.338.mcz

> Name: Tools-fbs.338
> Author: fbs
> Time: 31 March 2011, 1:38:40.964 pm
> UUID: 373272eb-3606-7746-b992-2194e8ebc1f7
> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.337
>
> Re-add the instvar "growable", accidentally removed in 332 or 333.

If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:

* Tools-fbs.338
* ToolsTest-fbs.38
* Morphic-fbs.526
* Services-Base.47
* System-fbs.427

Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
Evidence!:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html

frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Colin Putney-3
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Frank Shearar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:
>
> * Tools-fbs.338
> * ToolsTest-fbs.38
> * Morphic-fbs.526
> * Services-Base.47
> * System-fbs.427
>
> Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
> Evidence!:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html

Um, why not just use OmniBrowser? It already has refactoring support.

Colin

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Chris Muller-3
Is it ready to test Frank?  Thanks for doing this!

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Frank Shearar
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2011/03/31 12:38, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-fbs.338.mcz

>> Name: Tools-fbs.338
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 31 March 2011, 1:38:40.964 pm
>> UUID: 373272eb-3606-7746-b992-2194e8ebc1f7
>> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.337
>>
>> Re-add the instvar "growable", accidentally removed in 332 or 333.
>>
> If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:
>
> * Tools-fbs.338
> * ToolsTest-fbs.38
> * Morphic-fbs.526
> * Services-Base.47
> * System-fbs.427
>
> Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
> Evidence!:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html
>
> frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Chris Muller-3
OmniBrowser is a different paradigm of working that some prefer, some don't.

Author: fbs
Time: 31 March 2011, 1:38:40.964 pm
UUID: 373272eb-3606-7746-b992-2194e8ebc1f7
Ancestors: Tools-fbs.337

Re-add the instvar "growable", accidentally removed in 332 or 333.

If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:

* Tools-fbs.338
* ToolsTest-fbs.38
* Morphic-fbs.526
* Services-Base.47
* System-fbs.427

Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser! Evidence!: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html

Indeed.  I've been waiting for this.  Thank you Frank!

frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
I didn't reviewed (and I'm not a big fan of StringHolder hierarchy),
but one good thing is that we can merge those 5 files without hanging
an updated trunk image...
So integration should be easy.

Nicolas

2011/4/7 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 2011/03/31 12:38, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-fbs.338.mcz

>> Name: Tools-fbs.338
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 31 March 2011, 1:38:40.964 pm
>> UUID: 373272eb-3606-7746-b992-2194e8ebc1f7
>> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.337
>>
>> Re-add the instvar "growable", accidentally removed in 332 or 333.
>>
> If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:
>
> * Tools-fbs.338
> * ToolsTest-fbs.38
> * Morphic-fbs.526
> * Services-Base.47
> * System-fbs.427
>
> Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
> Evidence!:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html
>
> frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
Oh wait, I just didn't merge the right ones because those MC changes
once again messed a cache or something, and my MC browser didn't show
me the last updates...
I will have to redo. Maybe tomorrow...

Nicolas

2011/4/7 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> I didn't reviewed (and I'm not a big fan of StringHolder hierarchy),
> but one good thing is that we can merge those 5 files without hanging
> an updated trunk image...
> So integration should be easy.
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2011/4/7 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:
>> On 2011/03/31 12:38, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-fbs.338.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Tools-fbs.338
>>> Author: fbs
>>> Time: 31 March 2011, 1:38:40.964 pm
>>> UUID: 373272eb-3606-7746-b992-2194e8ebc1f7
>>> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.337
>>>
>>> Re-add the instvar "growable", accidentally removed in 332 or 333.
>>>
>> If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:
>>
>> * Tools-fbs.338
>> * ToolsTest-fbs.38
>> * Morphic-fbs.526
>> * Services-Base.47
>> * System-fbs.427
>>
>> Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
>> Evidence!:
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html
>>
>> frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Nicolas Cellier
I tried to push a bit the browsers behaviour on its edges...

For example, If I have same message classified into 2 different protocols.
I select the 1st class, 1st protocol, 1st message.
I then click on 2nd class:
- the first protocol is still selected
- the message still appear in the text pane
- the message does not appear in selector list

If I modify the text and accept, the message is moved to the 1st
protocol, but maybe this is what we want ?
Or should we switch to 2nd protocol and keep the selected selector
when we click on second class ?
Or should we keep protocol selection and deselect selector ?

If 2nd class does not have this protocol, then class definition will
appear in the text pane, rather than the initially selected message.
So this is not exactly consitent with previous behaviour...

For this reason I would prefer second option: favour pre-selection of
selector and switch protocol selection if needed.

One other thing: I click on a 3rd class which does not implement
selected selector, then click back on 1st class and find my selected
selector back. Nice feature!

Nicolas

2011/4/7 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> Oh wait, I just didn't merge the right ones because those MC changes
> once again messed a cache or something, and my MC browser didn't show
> me the last updates...
> I will have to redo. Maybe tomorrow...
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2011/4/7 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:
>> I didn't reviewed (and I'm not a big fan of StringHolder hierarchy),
>> but one good thing is that we can merge those 5 files without hanging
>> an updated trunk image...
>> So integration should be easy.
>>
>> Nicolas

>>> If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:
>>>
>>> * Tools-fbs.338
>>> * ToolsTest-fbs.38
>>> * Morphic-fbs.526
>>> * Services-Base.47
>>> * System-fbs.427
>>>
>>> Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
>>> Evidence!:
>>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html
>>>
>>> frank

The current status of OmniBrowser (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz)

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Colin Putney wrote:

> Um, why not just use OmniBrowser? It already has refactoring support.

It has. But it's badly broken (e.g. buttons don't work). People who tried
to fix it have no access to the repository to push their fixes, so they
posted fixes to this mailing list...
The Metacello configuration was also broken, I just fixed it.

If we would like to keep OB alive, then we have to fix the bugs first,
then consider merging enhancements from Lukas' repository.

Levente

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 2011/03/31 12:38, [hidden email] wrote:
>> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-fbs.338.mcz

>> Name: Tools-fbs.338
>> Author: fbs
>> Time: 31 March 2011, 1:38:40.964 pm
>> UUID: 373272eb-3606-7746-b992-2194e8ebc1f7
>> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.337
>>
>> Re-add the instvar "growable", accidentally removed in 332 or 333.
>>
> If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related packages:
>
> * Tools-fbs.338
> * ToolsTest-fbs.38
> * Morphic-fbs.526
> * Services-Base.47
> * System-fbs.427
>
> Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
> Evidence!:
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html

Great. I thought it's complete, but you didn't express it explicitly, so
I wasn't sure. Do you know about dependencies that we should care about
during integration?

Levente

On 2011/04/08 00:28, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> On 2011/03/31 12:38, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> A new version of Tools was added to project The Inbox:
>>> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Tools-fbs.338.mcz
>>>
>>> ==================== Summary ====================
>>>
>>> Name: Tools-fbs.338
>>> Author: fbs
>>> Time: 31 March 2011, 1:38:40.964 pm
>>> UUID: 373272eb-3606-7746-b992-2194e8ebc1f7
>>> Ancestors: Tools-fbs.337
>>>
>>> Re-add the instvar "growable", accidentally removed in 332 or 333.
>>>
>> If I may be so bold, I'd love some review of this and its related
>> packages:
>>
>> * Tools-fbs.338
>> * ToolsTest-fbs.38
>> * Morphic-fbs.526
>> * Services-Base.47
>> * System-fbs.427
>>
>> Word has it that Eliot promised to integrate RB into the base browser!
>> Evidence!:
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-September/153302.html
>>

> Great. I thought it's complete, but you didn't express it explicitly, so
> I wasn't sure. Do you know about dependencies that we should care about
> during integration?

When I load it into a virgin image I follow the order above. I wouldn't
stake my life on it being entirely 100% correct. There might be some
interaction between the Morphic and Tools packages, in particular,
because the Morphic version has changes to how Browsers open.

I have, for instance, noticed that my image "goes away" sometimes when I
load Morphic. I can hit alt-. and abandon the process, and everything
Just Works.

frank

Re: The current status of OmniBrowser (was: Re: [squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz)

Colin Putney-3
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Colin Putney wrote:

> It has. But it's badly broken (e.g. buttons don't work). People who tried to
> fix it have no access to the repository to push their fixes, so they posted
> fixes to this mailing list...

Ok, that's fixable. I've made it possible to anyone to commit to
http://www.squeaksource.com/OmniBrowser. I'll treat that like an INBOX
repository for OB. The trunk is still at http://source.wiresong.ca/ob/
which isn't public writable (that proved problematic), but I'll be
happy to give commit rights there to anyone who wants to contribute.

> The Metacello configuration was also broken, I just fixed it.

Great, thank you.

> If we would like to keep OB alive, then we have to fix the bugs first, then
> consider merging enhancements from Lukas' repository.

Ok, sounds like a plan.

I'll go through bugs.squeak.org and assess what's still relevant. If
folks have issues that aren't recorded there, feel free to bring them
up here, or enter them directly into Mantis.

As for Lukas' work, I don't think we're very far behind. He hasn't
done a whole lot lately, and a lot of it is focussed on compatibility
with Pharo 1.2. I'll see what should be incorporated.

Colin

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Colin Putney wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Colin Putney wrote:
>
>> It has. But it's badly broken (e.g. buttons don't work). People who tried to
>> fix it have no access to the repository to push their fixes, so they posted
>> fixes to this mailing list...
>
> Ok, that's fixable. I've made it possible to anyone to commit to
> http://www.squeaksource.com/OmniBrowser. I'll treat that like an INBOX
> repository for OB. The trunk is still at http://source.wiresong.ca/ob/
> which isn't public writable (that proved problematic), but I'll be
> happy to give commit rights there to anyone who wants to contribute.

Great, thanks.

>> The Metacello configuration was also broken, I just fixed it.
>
> Great, thank you.
>
>> If we would like to keep OB alive, then we have to fix the bugs first, then
>> consider merging enhancements from Lukas' repository.
>
> Ok, sounds like a plan.
>
> I'll go through bugs.squeak.org and assess what's still relevant. If
> folks have issues that aren't recorded there, feel free to bring them
> up here, or enter them directly into Mantis.

Here's a fix that's not on Mantis:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-October/154675.html

> As for Lukas' work, I don't think we're very far behind. He hasn't
> done a whole lot lately, and a lot of it is focussed on compatibility
> with Pharo 1.2. I'll see what should be incorporated.

Great, thanks. :)

Levente

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:

> When I load it into a virgin image I follow the order above. I wouldn't stake
> my life on it being entirely 100% correct. There might be some interaction
> between the Morphic and Tools packages, in particular, because the Morphic
> version has changes to how Browsers open.
>
> I have, for instance, noticed that my image "goes away" sometimes when I load
> Morphic. I can hit alt-. and abandon the process, and everything Just Works.

I finally set up my Trunk clone, where I could test the integration of
your changes. I didn't face the problem you described, but I found another
one. MessageSets (senders, implementors, etc) opened before the update
will have their messageListIndex instance variable uninitialized. This
means that #messageListIndex will return nil instead of an integer. So if
I had some senders/implementors browsers open before the update, I get a
debugger for each of them after it. Implementing #messageListIndex as

  ^messageListIndex ifNil: [ 0 ]

solves this issue. The state of the browsers will not be preserved this
way, but it's not worth writing complex migration code for this IMHO.

Levente

On 2011/04/11 01:46, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>
>> When I load it into a virgin image I follow the order above. I
>> wouldn't stake my life on it being entirely 100% correct. There might
>> be some interaction between the Morphic and Tools packages, in
>> particular, because the Morphic version has changes to how Browsers open.
>>
>> I have, for instance, noticed that my image "goes away" sometimes when
>> I load Morphic. I can hit alt-. and abandon the process, and
>> everything Just Works.
>
> I finally set up my Trunk clone, where I could test the integration of
> your changes. I didn't face the problem you described, but I found
> another one. MessageSets (senders, implementors, etc) opened before the
> update will have their messageListIndex instance variable uninitialized.
> This means that #messageListIndex will return nil instead of an integer.
> So if I had some senders/implementors browsers open before the update, I
> get a debugger for each of them after it. Implementing #messageListIndex as
>
> ^messageListIndex ifNil: [ 0 ]
>
> solves this issue. The state of the browsers will not be preserved this
> way, but it's not worth writing complex migration code for this IMHO.

Ah yes, because of instvar move: the new MessageSet instvar will be nil,
and nothing's yet set it to a valid value (i.e., an index).

See version 339!

frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/11/11, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2011/04/11 01:46, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>
>>> When I load it into a virgin image I follow the order above. I
>>> wouldn't stake my life on it being entirely 100% correct. There might
>>> be some interaction between the Morphic and Tools packages, in
>>> particular, because the Morphic version has changes to how Browsers open.
>>>
>>> I have, for instance, noticed that my image "goes away" sometimes when
>>> I load Morphic. I can hit alt-. and abandon the process, and
>>> everything Just Works.
>>
>> I finally set up my Trunk clone, where I could test the integration of
>> your changes. I didn't face the problem you described, but I found
>> another one. MessageSets (senders, implementors, etc) opened before the
>> update will have their messageListIndex instance variable uninitialized.
>> This means that #messageListIndex will return nil instead of an integer.
>> So if I had some senders/implementors browsers open before the update, I
>> get a debugger for each of them after it. Implementing #messageListIndex
>> as
>>
>> ^messageListIndex ifNil: [ 0 ]
>>
>> solves this issue. The state of the browsers will not be preserved this
>> way, but it's not worth writing complex migration code for this IMHO.
>
> Ah yes, because of instvar move: the new MessageSet instvar will be nil,
> and nothing's yet set it to a valid value (i.e., an index).
>
> See version 339!
>
> frank

What is the decision on this?

And: Do we need to keep the old versions in the inbox?

--Hannes

Tools-fbs.PNG (75K) Download Attachment

On 2011/04/15 18:21, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> On 4/11/11, Frank Shearar<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> I finally set up my Trunk clone, where I could test the integration of
>>> your changes. I didn't face the problem you described, but I found
>>> another one. MessageSets (senders, implementors, etc) opened before the
>>> update will have their messageListIndex instance variable uninitialized.
>>> This means that #messageListIndex will return nil instead of an integer.
>>> So if I had some senders/implementors browsers open before the update, I
>>> get a debugger for each of them after it. Implementing #messageListIndex
>>> as
>>>
>>> ^messageListIndex ifNil: [ 0 ]
>>>
>>> solves this issue. The state of the browsers will not be preserved this
>>> way, but it's not worth writing complex migration code for this IMHO.
>>
>> Ah yes, because of instvar move: the new MessageSet instvar will be nil,
>> and nothing's yet set it to a valid value (i.e., an index).
>>
>> See version 339!
>>
>> frank
>>

> What is the decision on this?
>
> And: Do we need to keep the old versions in the inbox?

Levente said that _all_ versions should be into Treated when everyone's
happy, so that we have complete and entire Monticello histories.

Of course, I can't comment on the decision :)

frank

Re: The Inbox: Tools-fbs.338.mcz

Hannes Hirzel
Ok, so then let's continue discussing if your contribution should be
included into the trunk or if it should be in a loadable package on
Squeaksource.

--Hannes

On 2011/04/15 18:45, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> Ok, so then let's continue discussing if your contribution should be
> included into the trunk or if it should be in a loadable package on
> Squeaksource.

Hey? How could it possibly be a loadable package when it rewrites the
guts of Browser? Tools-fbs.338 and friends are a refactoring of stuff
already in the image. And I do mean "refactor" - no new functionality's
added, except for fixing the fact that the Browser currently keeps
losing your place whenever you add system categories, classes, method
categories and methods.

(But yes, I _would_ like Tools to be a loadable package - we're still a
long way from being able to do that though!)

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Frank Shearar wrote:

> On 2011/04/15 18:21, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

>>> Ah yes, because of instvar move: the new MessageSet instvar will be nil,
>>> and nothing's yet set it to a valid value (i.e., an index).
>>>
>>> See version 339!
>>>
>>> frank
>>>

>> What is the decision on this?
>>
>> And: Do we need to keep the old versions in the inbox?
>
> Levente said that _all_ versions should be into Treated when everyone's
> happy, so that we have complete and entire Monticello histories.

Did I? If so, I was wrong. All versions will be moved to the Trunk after
the merge is done. This happens with all merged contributions, why would
this be an exception?

Since everyone seems to be happy, I'll merge it real soon now.

Levente

> Of course, I can't comment on the decision :)
>
> frank

12