Re: Unknown File Dialogue

Dan Norton
When someone explicitly selects "cancel" in a dialog, is MNU an appropriate response? I
don't think so. Any other opinions?

On 6 Nov 2015 at 16:21, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In FmFileEntry>>fileContents, a dialogue is presented if there is an
> attempt to read a file
> which does not exist. This gives the opportunity to choose another
> name or cancel.
>
> A "Cancel" response produces MNU: #contents
>
> To avoid the MNU and answer nil, I suggest the attached change be
> made to #fileContents.
>
>  - Dan
>
> Attachments:
>
> C:\Cuis\JuanV\Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev-master\FmFileEntry-fileContents.zip

Re: Unknown File Dialogue

Luciano Notarfrancesco
I'd like the FileNotFoundException>>#defaultAction to open a debugger. Same with NotYetImplemented.

Maybe it could be a preference, like non-programmer user mode, where the exceptions default actions try to guess what went wrong, or ask the user for some interaction, but the default programmer mode should open a debugger. What do other Smalltalks do?

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Dan Norton <[hidden email]> wrote:
When someone explicitly selects "cancel" in a dialog, is MNU an appropriate response? I
don't think so. Any other opinions?

On 6 Nov 2015 at 16:21, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In FmFileEntry>>fileContents, a dialogue is presented if there is an
> attempt to read a file
> which does not exist. This gives the opportunity to choose another
> name or cancel.
>
> A "Cancel" response produces MNU: #contents
>
> To avoid the MNU and answer nil, I suggest the attached change be
> made to #fileContents.
>
>  - Dan
>
> Attachments:
>
> C:\Cuis\JuanV\Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev-master\FmFileEntry-fileContents.zip

Re: Unknown File Dialogue

Juan Vuletich-4
On 12/4/2015 1:24 AM, Luciano Notarfrancesco wrote:
I'd like the FileNotFoundException>>#defaultAction to open a debugger. Same with NotYetImplemented.

So, FileDoesNotExistException is ok, right?

I agree that NotYetImplemented should also open a debugger.

On 12/3/2015 11:59 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> When someone explicitly selects "cancel" in a dialog, is MNU an appropriate response? I
> don't think so. Any other opinions?

I don't think that answering nil is a good idea. If you don't handle the
nil answer appropriately, you'll only see a debugger later. If you are
handling it, instead of checking for nil, write an exception handler...

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich