Re: Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

hernanmd
Ok if there are not, I think is a must, I spend a lot of time
searching for the updated scripts or exporting/importing them in my
images. What about creating a wiki page in the google project?

Hernán

2011/1/11 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any page/tool where all the updated ConfigurationOf....
> installing scripts are found?
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Hernán Morales
> Information Technology Manager,
> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
> Internal: 422
> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

laurent laffont
Isn't what you're looking for ? http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/

Laurent

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok if there are not, I think is a must, I spend a lot of time
searching for the updated scripts or exporting/importing them in my
images. What about creating a wiki page in the google project?

Hernán

2011/1/11 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any page/tool where all the updated ConfigurationOf....
> installing scripts are found?
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Hernán Morales
> Information Technology Manager,
> Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
> National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
> La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
> Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
> Internal: 422
> Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

hernanmd
Yes thanks.
notice there are 80+ ConfigurationOf... in the MetacelloRepository and
so many not listed there

2011/1/12 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>:

> Isn't what you're looking for ?
> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/
> Laurent
>
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ok if there are not, I think is a must, I spend a lot of time
>> searching for the updated scripts or exporting/importing them in my
>> images. What about creating a wiki page in the google project?
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> 2011/1/11 Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]>:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is there any page/tool where all the updated ConfigurationOf....
>> > installing scripts are found?
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Hernán Morales
>> > Information Technology Manager,
>> > Institute of Veterinary Genetics.
>> > National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET).
>> > La Plata (1900), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
>> > Telephone: +54 (0221) 421-1799.
>> > Internal: 422
>> > Fax: 425-7980 or 421-1799.

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

Dale Henrichs
Hernán,

It _is_ possible to write some scripts that could automate the checking:

   ConfigurationOfXXX project updateProject

loads the latest version of the mcz file for the configuration. Then you
could write a little script like:

   | project |
   project := ConfigurationOfXXX project.
   project updateProject
   project currentVersion < project latestVersion
     ifTrue: [
       self inform: 'A new version of ConfigurationOXXX is available' ].

to simplify the check for new versions a bit more...you could even
automate the load of the newer version if you were brave:)

Dale

On 01/12/2011 01:56 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Yes thanks.
> notice there are 80+ ConfigurationOf... in the MetacelloRepository and
> so many not listed there
>
> 2011/1/12 laurent laffont<[hidden email]>:
>> Isn't what you're looking for ?
>> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok if there are not, I think is a must, I spend a lot of time
>>> searching for the updated scripts or exporting/importing them in my
>>> images. What about creating a wiki page in the google project?
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I think the Hudson server should be so brave.  We can dump the latest of everything into an image in the hopes that people will test it - probably a good gamble.

Another thing that has forced/will force uniformity (or at least detect lack of it) is the configuration browser.  The load-latest command will cause interesting things to happen.

It _is_ possible to write some scripts that could automate the checking:

   ConfigurationOfXXX project updateProject

loads the latest version of the mcz file for the configuration. Then you
could write a little script like:

   | project |
   project := ConfigurationOfXXX project.
   project updateProject
   project currentVersion < project latestVersion
     ifTrue: [
       self inform: 'A new version of ConfigurationOXXX is available' ].

to simplify the check for new versions a bit more...you could even
automate the load of the newer version if you were brave:)

Dale

On 01/12/2011 01:56 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Yes thanks.
> notice there are 80+ ConfigurationOf... in the MetacelloRepository and
> so many not listed there
>
> 2011/1/12 laurent laffont<[hidden email]>:
>> Isn't what you're looking for ?
>> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok if there are not, I think is a must, I spend a lot of time
>>> searching for the updated scripts or exporting/importing them in my
>>> images. What about creating a wiki page in the google project?
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

hernanmd
Hi Dale,

2011/1/12 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>:
> Hernán,
>
> It _is_ possible to write some scripts that could automate the checking:
>
>  ConfigurationOfXXX project updateProject
>
> loads the latest version of the mcz file for the configuration. Then you
> could write a little script like:

Not so fast :)
What would be nice is to

A - Checking for new Configurations
1) Detect new uploaded ConfigurationOfXXX

B - Checking for new package versions of existing Configurations
1) Detect new versions of loaded ConfigurationOfXXX

2) Inform the user
3) Ask the user if wants to load/update the ConfigurationOfXXX in background.
4) Ask the user if want to apply the new ConfigurationOfXXX for
updating the XXX.

Then people don't have to search ConfigurationOfXXX scripts over
mailing lists and web pages.

>  | project |
>  project := ConfigurationOfXXX project.
>  project updateProject
>  project currentVersion < project latestVersion
>    ifTrue: [
>      self inform: 'A new version of ConfigurationOXXX is available' ].
>
> to simplify the check for new versions a bit more...you could even automate
> the load of the newer version if you were brave:)

I think brave souls were gone from earth long time ago :) but anyway
this could be a dirty script to start

[
 | packageName pkgNames oldPkgsNames |
 packageName := 'ConfigurationOf'.
 pkgNames := OrderedCollection new.
[ oldPkgsNames := pkgNames.
 [ pkgNames := ( ScriptLoader new metacelloRepository allFileNames
                select:[ : name | name beginsWith: packageName ]
                thenCollect: [: v | v copyUpTo: $- ] ) asSet.
        Transcript show: TimeStamp current.
        pkgNames size > oldPkgsNames size
                ifTrue: [Transcript
                                        show: ' : New ConfigurationOf found : ' , ( pkgNames difference:
oldPkgsNames ) asString; cr ]
                ifFalse: [ Transcript
                                        show: ' : No new ConfigurationOf were found'; cr ].
        ]
        on: Error
        do: [ :ex | Transcript show: TimeStamp current; space; show: ex messageText ].
        ( Delay forSeconds: 10 ) wait.
        true ] whileTrue ] forkAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority. " 20 "

then you may modify it for detecting new package versions, checking
frequency, etc. I've seen there's a sort of Metacello UI...

Hernán

> Dale
>

> On 01/12/2011 01:56 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>
>> Yes thanks.
>> notice there are 80+ ConfigurationOf... in the MetacelloRepository and
>> so many not listed there
>>
>> 2011/1/12 laurent laffont<[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Isn't what you're looking for ?
>>> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/PharoTools/
>>> Laurent

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

Dale Henrichs
Hernán,

Good points...I've opened a feature request against Metacello:

   http://code.google.com/p/metacello/issues/detail?id=105

with your suggestions ... I agree that this kind of functionality should
be included in a Metacello tool ... I think that Alexandre Bergel is
working on just such a tool:)

Dale

On 01/13/2011 08:53 AM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> 2011/1/12 Dale Henrichs<[hidden email]>:
>> Hernán,
>>
>> It _is_ possible to write some scripts that could automate the checking:
>>
>>   ConfigurationOfXXX project updateProject
>>
>> loads the latest version of the mcz file for the configuration. Then you
>> could write a little script like:
>>

> Not so fast :)
> What would be nice is to
>
> A - Checking for new Configurations
> 1) Detect new uploaded ConfigurationOfXXX
>
> B - Checking for new package versions of existing Configurations
> 1) Detect new versions of loaded ConfigurationOfXXX
>
> 2) Inform the user
> 3) Ask the user if wants to load/update the ConfigurationOfXXX in background.
> 4) Ask the user if want to apply the new ConfigurationOfXXX for
> updating the XXX.
>
> Then people don't have to search ConfigurationOfXXX scripts over
> mailing lists and web pages.
>
>>   | project |
>>   project := ConfigurationOfXXX project.
>>   project updateProject
>>   project currentVersion<  project latestVersion
>>     ifTrue: [
>>       self inform: 'A new version of ConfigurationOXXX is available' ].
>>
>> to simplify the check for new versions a bit more...you could even automate
>> the load of the newer version if you were brave:)
>>

> I think brave souls were gone from earth long time ago :) but anyway
> this could be a dirty script to start
>
> [
>   | packageName pkgNames oldPkgsNames |
>   packageName := 'ConfigurationOf'.
>   pkgNames := OrderedCollection new.
> [ oldPkgsNames := pkgNames.
>   [ pkgNames := ( ScriptLoader new metacelloRepository allFileNames
> select:[ : name | name beginsWith: packageName ]
> thenCollect: [: v | v copyUpTo: $- ] ) asSet.
> Transcript show: TimeStamp current.
> pkgNames size>  oldPkgsNames size
> ifTrue: [Transcript
> show: ' : New ConfigurationOf found : ' , ( pkgNames difference:
> oldPkgsNames ) asString; cr ]
> ifFalse: [ Transcript
> show: ' : No new ConfigurationOf were found'; cr ].
> ]
> on: Error
> do: [ :ex | Transcript show: TimeStamp current; space; show: ex messageText ].
> ( Delay forSeconds: 10 ) wait.
> true ] whileTrue ] forkAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority. " 20 "
>
> then you may modify it for detecting new package versions, checking
> frequency, etc. I've seen there's a sort of Metacello UI...
>
> Hernán
>

>> Dale
>>

>> On 01/12/2011 01:56 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes thanks.
>>> notice there are 80+ ConfigurationOf... in the MetacelloRepository and
>>> so many not listed there

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

Miguel Cobá
Hi Hernán

Isn't this a feature instead for Loader or MetacelloBrowser ?

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

Alexandre Bergel
Yes. I would like to connect MonticelloBrowser to the toolKit. I hope it will not take long. If someone wants to give a try, then the project is on squeaksource.
The GUI is quite intuitive and corresponds to my needs (e.g., automatic saving the packages when I create a new version).

Alexandre

On 13 Jan 2011, at 15:26, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> [...]
>>  [ pkgNames := ( ScriptLoader new metacelloRepository allFileNames
>> select:[ : name | name beginsWith: packageName ]
>> thenCollect: [: v | v copyUpTo: $- ] ) asSet.
>> Transcript show: TimeStamp current.
>> pkgNames size>  oldPkgsNames size
>> ifTrue: [Transcript
>> show: ' : New ConfigurationOf found : ' , ( pkgNames difference:
>> oldPkgsNames ) asString; cr ]
>> ifFalse: [ Transcript
>> show: ' : No new ConfigurationOf were found'; cr ].
>> ]
>> on: Error
>> do: [ :ex | Transcript show: TimeStamp current; space; show: ex messageText ].
>> ( Delay forSeconds: 10 ) wait.
>> true ] whileTrue ] forkAt: Processor userBackgroundPriority. " 20 "
>>
>> then you may modify it for detecting new package versions, checking
>> frequency, etc. I've seen there's a sort of Metacello UI...

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Hernán

Isn't this a feature instead for Loader or MetacelloBrowser ?

I was thinking the same :)
Now with the toolbox it is starting to be confusing what should be in Loader (or whatever name we use) and Metacello.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [Pharo-users] Updated ConfigurationsOf...scripts?

Dale Henrichs

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Miguel Cobá <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Hernán
>
>     Isn't this a feature instead for Loader or MetacelloBrowser ?
>

> I was thinking the same :)
> Now with the toolbox it is starting to be confusing what should be in
> Loader (or whatever name we use) and Metacello.

The toolbox (MetacelloToolBox ... coming real soon now:) is the place
where common algorithms that manipulate configurations in support of the
development process will reside ... I want all tools to use the toolbox
methods so that the behavior of common operations is consistent across
all tools/scripts and will add to the toolbox to support new requirements.

So it might make sense to push the code that implements the algorithms
"give me the list of new configurations in repository X" and "give the
list of configurations with newer versions in repository X" into the
toolbox, while the choice of which repositories, which configurations to
use as the basis for comparison and the frequency of checking is
provided by the tool.

Dale