Re: VM crashes while installing Seaside in Squeak 5.2a (trunk)

Re: VM crashes while installing Seaside in Squeak 5.2a (trunk)

Tim Johnson-2

On Jun 12, 2018, at 12:56 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi Tim,

  I'll try and look at this tomorrow.  Could you post details of your Xcode build env?  Xcode and clang version numbers?

Hi Eliot,

Thanks.

I am remembering now that I actually was still on Xcode 9.3.1 when I built this VM, but upgraded to 9.4 right afterward.  I no longer have the same build environment to report.

This morning I rebuilt using Xcode 9.4 and ran the test again twice and there was no crash.  Hopefully the crash is gone!  Sorry for hair-raising.  Maybe there was some badness with Xcode 9.3.1...?

$ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 9.1.0 (clang-902.0.39.2)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.5.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Tim

Re: VM crashes while installing Seaside in Squeak 5.2a (trunk)

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Tim,

On Jun 12, 2018, at 8:42 AM, Tim Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Is this the 9.3.1 version or 9.4?

Let me know if I can be of further help.

If I have the version info I’m happy to edit the HowToBuild.

Tim

On Jun 12, 2018, at 10:14 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:

$ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 9.1.0 (clang-902.0.39.2)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin17.5.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

Is this the 9.3.1 version or 9.4?

Sorry — that is my output from 9.4.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

If I have the version info I’m happy to edit the HowToBuild.

The VM which failed repeatedly was built with Xcode 9.3.1 but I did not record the output of `gcc --version` after building it.  I suspect this is an important distinction because the Command Line Tools package can be updated independently of the Xcode app itself.

I don't suppose any such build environment details are recorded in the app bundle "artifact" itself...?

Thanks,
Tim

Re: VM crashes while installing Seaside in Squeak 5.2a (trunk)

Hannes Hirzel

Hello

The note that the installation of Seaside crashes is of early June.

There was actually a crash reported by me in the thread

[Test][Squeak5.2a][Metacello] Installation causes VM crash
Tobias provided a fixed VM which made the Metacello installation no
longer crash.

As Seaside uses Metacello this is surely a contributing factor to the
crash of the Seaside installation. Maybe the only one, maybe not.

I also do not know if the fix done by Tobias has been included into
the All-In-One builds for Squeak.

So my question is: What are the news about installing Seaside in Squeak 5.2a?

Regards
Hannes

Re: VM crashes while installing Seaside in Squeak 5.2a (trunk)

Hannes Hirzel

P.S. Is the installation script still

Metacello new
    configuration: 'Seaside3';
    repository:
'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
    version: #stable;
    load: 'OneClick'.

as noted here
https://squeak.org/projects/#seaside

On 7/14/18, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> The note that the installation of Seaside crashes is of early June.
>
> There was actually a crash reported by me in the thread
>
> [Test][Squeak5.2a][Metacello] Installation causes VM crash
> Tobias provided a fixed VM which made the Metacello installation no
> longer crash.
>
> As Seaside uses Metacello this is surely a contributing factor to the
> crash of the Seaside installation. Maybe the only one, maybe not.
>
> I also do not know if the fix done by Tobias has been included into
> the All-In-One builds for Squeak.
>
> So my question is: What are the news about installing Seaside in Squeak
> 5.2a?
>
> Regards
> Hannes

Re: VM crashes while installing Seaside in Squeak 5.2a (trunk)

Hannes Hirzel

Smoke test (successful load) with yesterdays new version assembled by Fabio

http://files.squeak.org/trunk/Squeak5.2alpha-18150-32bit/Squeak5.2alpha-18150-32bit-All-in-One.zip
on Ubuntu 14.04 based Linux

Installer ensureRecentMetacello

Metacello new
        configuration: 'Seaside3';
        repository:
'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
        version: #stable;
        load: 'OneClick'.

Result: OK, no VM crash

Could somebody please do a more in-depth test?

--Hannes