Re: Visual works smallwiki status ?

Stéphane Ducasse-3
Samir

It would be good to merge the work done at impara to add a file
saving backup.

Stef

> Hi !
>
> I'm working on smallwiki right now, and I'm trying to figure out what
> has been done in the visual works version in order to gather as much
> as possible and release a complete up-to-date version.
>
> There is three main versions of smallwiki:
>
> - the visual works one.
> - the squeak port done by Chris Bukert
> - the seaside stable image used for squeak.org
>
> The task is  merging them.
>
> And merging is not easy !

We never tried to merge the Camp version since it was not really
working.

Stef

> For visual works:
>
> The latest version is : 0.9.53 (29 September 2004) with the comment
> "trying to understand publishing issue", the latest from lukas was
> 0.9.51 (24 June 2004) and changes from camp smalltalk was 0.9.52 (21
> August 2004). I'm trying to figure out in which extent the public
> store version in in sync with the scg one ! The VW smallwiki
> development seems to have stop the last year, so it would be fun to
> gather the work realized instead of getting it forever lost !
>
> When I'm connected to the scg store, I see that the latest version was
> 1.9.51.20.2 by greevy (23 November 2004), but don't know if it
> includes the changes from camp smalltalk. I tried the greevy version,
> but found a lot of missing methods (prepareCookies for instance)
> whereas the bulckaen version seems to be ok (17 September 2004). Is
> the bulckaen version related to the latest public store release (29
> September 2004) ? or the greevy version ? Someone knows ? This
> archeological work will be valuable if people who participated could
> give some information !

The version of Frederick Bulckaen was a version with a first meta
description.
It was working but we never really tested.

Stef

> For seaside:
>
> And is the seaside version based on the Chris port ? I guess so, but
> it seems that there is a lot of changes, no ?
>
> Anyway, I will try to figure out by testing and checking differences.
>
> Cheers,
> Samir

Re: Visual works smallwiki status ?

Stéphane Ducasse-3
Lukas

may be it would be good to republish your latest Smallwiki 1 (0.9.51)
version as SmallWiki 1.0 with a comment on store.

Stef

> Hi Samir,
>
> thanks for your efforts merging the versions. I know about all the
> pain of having different versions from SqueakSource :-/
>
>> - the visual works one.
>
> I stopped working on SmallWiki 1 in Summer 2004, so the most recent
> code from myself is version 0.9.51 on Cincom Public Store.
> Afterwards I didn't touch that code anymore because I started with
> SmallWiki 2 (now called Pier).
>
>> - the squeak port done by Chris Bukert
>> - the seaside stable image used for squeak.org
>
> The seaside image is basically the port of Chris Bukert, but we
> fixed a few things directly in there. I don't remember exactly, but
> I think the changes we made are now in the current Squeak port.
>
>> 1.9.51.20.2 by greevy (23 November 2004), but don't know if it
>> includes the changes from camp smalltalk. I tried the greevy version,
>> but found a lot of missing methods (prepareCookies for instance)
>> whereas the bulckaen version seems to be ok (17 September 2004). Is
>> the bulckaen version related to the latest public store release (29
>> September 2004) ? or the greevy version ? Someone knows ? This
>> archeological work will be valuable if people who participated could
>> give some information !
>
> Sorry, I have no idea about this. Orla? Stef?
>
>> And is the seaside version based on the Chris port ? I guess so, but
>> it seems that there is a lot of changes, no ?
>
> What Seaside versions are you talking about?
>
> * If you are talking about TinyWiki or PicoWiki, these are
> basically rip-offs taking the parser and the document
> representation of SmallWiki 1 and plugging that into a Seaside
> component. These are just small sub-sets of SmallWiki 1, as their
> name says.
>
> * SmallWiki 2 / Pier is a complete rewrite from scratch. Most (if
> not all) parts are very different. From design point of view
> probably only the document representation didn't change much. It
> should be quite easy to port back, but I guess there are not that
> many new features that it is worth the hassle.
>
> Cheers,
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Visual works smallwiki status ?

Samir Saidani
Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Samir,
>
> thanks for your efforts merging the versions. I know about all the
> pain of having different versions from SqueakSource :-/

Yes, snif... It seems that forking is a fractal phenomena ;-)

>> - the visual works one.
>
> I stopped working on SmallWiki 1 in Summer 2004, so the most recent
> code from myself is version 0.9.51 on Cincom Public Store. Afterwards
> I didn't touch that code anymore because I started with SmallWiki 2
> (now called Pier).

>> - the squeak port done by Chris Bukert
>> - the seaside stable image used for squeak.org
>
> The seaside image is basically the port of Chris Bukert, but we fixed
> a few things directly in there. I don't remember exactly, but I think
> the changes we made are now in the current Squeak port.

I'm not sure, my latest attempt to merge the first port with the
seaside image gives a lot of differences. I have to see further to
figure out what is going on...

>> And is the seaside version based on the Chris port ? I guess so, but
>> it seems that there is a lot of changes, no ?
>
> What Seaside versions are you talking about?

The website seaside image, which is basically the same than
squeak.org.

> * If you are talking about TinyWiki or PicoWiki, these are basically
> rip-offs taking the parser and the document representation of
> SmallWiki 1 and plugging that into a Seaside component. These are
> just small sub-sets of SmallWiki 1, as their name says.

Interesting, I didn't know the existence of these wikis, they would be
a good starting point to have a tiny smallwiki kernel, and work from
that point : where are tinywiki and picowiki ? What are the
differences between these wikis ?

> * SmallWiki 2 / Pier is a complete rewrite from scratch. Most (if not
> all) parts are very different. From design point of view probably
> only the document representation didn't change much. It should be
> quite easy to port back, but I guess there are not that many new
> features that it is worth the hassle.

Ok, thanks for these informations !

Regards,
Samir

Re: Visual works smallwiki status ?

Lukas Renggli-2
>>> And is the seaside version based on the Chris port ? I guess so, but
>>> it seems that there is a lot of changes, no ?
>>
>> What Seaside versions are you talking about?
>
> The website seaside image, which is basically the same than
> squeak.org.

I guess these are the same, Adrian gave the image of seaside.st to
the people doing squeak.org because they had problems with their own.

>> * If you are talking about TinyWiki or PicoWiki, these are basically
>> rip-offs taking the parser and the document representation of
>> SmallWiki 1 and plugging that into a Seaside component. These are
>> just small sub-sets of SmallWiki 1, as their name says.
>
> Interesting, I didn't know the existence of these wikis, they would be
> a good starting point to have a tiny smallwiki kernel, and work from
> that point : where are tinywiki and picowiki ? What are the
> differences between these wikis ?

PicoWiki is even smaller than TinyWiki ;-)

Well, I don't exactly know the differences. TinyWiki is included with
SqueakSource. PicoWiki is probably used within some internal project,
I don't have a reference right now.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

TinyWiki-lr.10.mcz (14K) Download Attachment