Re: [Vm-dev] New Window VM (Closures, FT2Plugin, Large Cursors)

1 message Options

Re: [Vm-dev] New Window VM (Closures, FT2Plugin, Large Cursors)

johnmci
Ah, I have a bias opinion for an answer, but I'll not discuss that here.

However the BIG issue for the 3.8.x and earlier series of macintosh
carbon VM is their behaviour for opening a closure image.
What you will find is that if you attempt to open a closure image the
squeak.app will start then terminate
It will print a diagnostic message to the console which you can see
via Apple's Console.app found in Applications/Utilities.

07/03/09 11:11:51 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].org.squeak.Squeak[1894] This
interpreter (vers. 6502) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).
07/03/09 11:11:51 AM [0x0-0x8d08d].org.squeak.Squeak[1894] Press CR to
quit...

The reason for this behaviour is that 15 some years back John Maloney
coded up the version checking logic and  there was a question
what to do now. At the time CodeWarrior under os-7.5.x would helpfully
put up a dialog window if you printed to the *console* and did
a getchar for the answer, that code has moved forward for years now
and no-one really has tested until now.

Interestingly the getchar on os-x does not block and returns null and
we terminate the VM, but the behaviour is confusing if you don't
understand what is going on.

I will at some point push out a 3.8.22 VM that should put up a more
helpful dialog message, but people who have older VMs underfoot
should realize this behaviour should be an indication that perhaps
your VM is too old.

--
=
=