Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

philippe.back@highoctane.be
I got that too (windows).

And that's also one reason  why I made this thing.

I am actually running under a VM I built because that one is not mysteriously crashing and as I have an assert and debug version, I hope to find the reason why this happens.

Yes it sucks the joy out.

Phil

Le 28 mai 2017 10:41, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi,

I just had the issue again while typing code.

I actually cannot work. Is it really only me, or is it that others just got used to living with this and not report the issue?

I would consider this a blocker. Do you agree?

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
>  I hope to find the reason why this happens.

Good luck and, of course, if the problem goes away by using a custom
built debug build -- there's more fun in store trying to find out
if/what goes wrong with the optimizations used in the release build.

Turning off optimizations with -O0 could be a first step to verify if
release build C compiler optimizations are to blame.

Because the C compiler does optimize things and sometimes optimizes
things away that it should not.

Best Regards,

Milan Vavra

Milan Vavra

Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

philippeback
I am using a fork of the official thing and also build on appveyor, so, the stack is the same.

Phil

>  I hope to find the reason why this happens.

Good luck and, of course, if the problem goes away by using a custom
built debug build -- there's more fun in store trying to find out
if/what goes wrong with the optimizations used in the release build.

Turning off optimizations with -O0 could be a first step to verify if
release build C compiler optimizations are to blame.

Because the C compiler does optimize things and sometimes optimizes
things away that it should not.

Best Regards,

Milan Vavra

Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

Milan Vavra
> I am actually running under a VM I built because that one is not
> mysteriously crashing and as I have an assert and debug version, I hope
> to find the reason why this happens.

If you have mysterious crashes in a release build that stop when you
switch to a debug build, the compiler optimization options could be the
problem.

Best Regards,

Milan Vavra

Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
> I am actually running under a VM I built because that one is not
> mysteriously crashing and as I have an assert and debug version, I hope
> to find the reason why this happens.

If you have mysterious crashes in a release build that stop when you
switch to a debug build, the compiler optimization options could be the
problem.

Best Regards,

Milan Vavra

Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

CyrilFerlicot
Le 28/05/2017 à 10:50, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

> yes, but I never had it (and I use mac and I type fairly fast too).

Same, never had it and I type fast.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

http://www.synectique.eu
2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: [Vm-dev] multiple crashes on macOS Sierra

Stephane Ducasse-3
I got it from time to time (but may be once a week) but I was in the Bloc image and it crashed in other ways.
I'm on sierra with latest vm and image.