Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

1234

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

Andreas.Raab
Hi Sven,

[cc: pharo list since I think there are some larger issues to discuss]

First of all thank you for your continued interest in WebClient. It is
nice to see that people like to use it. However, I'm more than a bit
surprised about what you are saying below about having WebClient in
Pharo 1.2. Honestly, I was dumbfounded when I went to read some of the
discussions on the Pharo list.

May I ask what the due diligence process is for including packages in
Pharo? I would have expected that the process includes 1) checking the
project page on SS for the license and 2) sending the author a courtesy
note along the lines of "hey we want to include your code, are you okay
with that?" (in particular if the author of the package isn't on the
Pharo list and consequently has no clue about what you're doing).

1. Regarding WebClient's license, please have a look at any of the
following repositories, all of which are under MIT:

http://www.squeaksource.com/Balloon3D.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/CroquetGL.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/ToolBuilder.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/TweakCore.html
... etc ...

As you can see, when I mean to put code under the MIT license, I try to
state that by including a copy of the license on the front page of the
repository as well as setting the license field. Contrary to, for
example, the following repositories:

http://www.squeaksource.com/ar.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient.html

which are not (or not yet) under MIT. Obviously, I'm trying to be as
clear as possible on these matters, which is why I was pointing out that
your repository incorrectly claims that the version of WebClient in it
is LGPLv2. I'm surprised (and shocked) that apparently nobody in Pharo
even tries to find out what the license status for WebClient is.

2. Regarding my intentions / position you'll have to keep in mind that I
don't read the Pharo list. I tried to follow it in the past only to be
faced with several vicious attacks against Squeak and myself and as a
consequence I stopped reading it. Consequently, this is the first time
anyone has ever mentioned the inclusion of WebClient in Pharo to me.

In short, my position is that we need more shared libraries, not more
forks. You will probably see the irony that I specifically didn't set a
license on WebClient to prevent such forks without any prior discussion
(under the hopelessly naive assumption that there would be some sort of
due diligence process) only to find out that you've forked WebClient
already. How very ironic indeed.

Because of my position above, I think WebClient should be an external
package, loaded for example via Metacello configuration. In fact, that's
exactly why I provided a Metacello configuration to begin with. Can
someone perhaps explain where the urge to include (and consequently
fork) WebClient comes from? WebClient is a perfectly good external
package and for the time being I prefer it should stay that way. If you
want to replace HTTPSocket, then have a look at Squeak 4.2 which
contains a very simple HTTPSocket implementation that has hooks so that
WebClient will be used if it's loaded.

Regarding fixes for Pharo, as far as I know the only changes that I
haven't included was a bunch of #asString sprinkled all over the places,
and the abominations of replacing #squeakToUtf8 and #utf8ToSqueak with
"convert[From|To]WithConverter: UTF8TextConverter new". On both of these
issues I feel very strongly; I will not make the code substantially
worse only to deal with shortcomings of Pharo. So if you cannot come to
a reasonable resolution for these, you'll need the extension methods.
Outside of that, I believe that not only have I integrated all the fixes
that have been sent to me, I have also added several patches to
WebClient-Pharo that provide important fixes for (in Pharo broken)
network operations without which WebClient would not work in any
released Pharo versions.

diligence regarding new packages in Pharo. I find this in particular
shocking giving the wild claims on the Pharo web site that "From the
beginning of Pharo we have maintained a strict rule that every
contributor has to sign our license agreement." I haven't. (and geez,
when did Michael got dropped from the Pharo board?)

* I don't want WebClient to be included in Pharo since this means you
will be producing a Pharo-only fork of WebClient which is
counter-productive from my perspective. I want WebClient to remain a
shared loadable package with a canonical source repository available to
all forks of Squeak, including Pharo.

* I have, and will continue to do so, integrate fixes for Pharo as long
as I consider them reasonable. If there is interest, I can also provide
an updated Metacello configuration; although that really just boils down
to updating it to the latest package versions.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On 8/29/2010 4:43 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> The lastest fiddling that I did is now in PharoInBox:
>
> Name: WebClient-Core-SvenVanCaekenberghe.74
> Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
> Time: 27 August 2010, 1:59:46 pm
> UUID: d97ff218-9bde-4259-bf8a-f9d0fe116138
> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-StephaneDucasse.73, WebClient-Core-pmm.73
>
> merged in pharo-core 1.2
>
> We're down to 2 unit test failures/errors againt your latest tests.
>
> A number of people including myself are interested, enthousiastic and willing to help bring WebClient to Pharo (1.1 and 1.2), and by using it, help it improve its core functionality. However, the current process, whereby you mostly ignore Pharo related fixes, makes that very difficult (we basically almost have to start over again with each commit you do, comparing changes becomes harder and harder). You can check the Pharo mailing lists.
>
> As I said before, it is your code and your decision what your standpoint is regarding portability (to Squeak derivatives and even other Smalltalks). I can understand it if you find it too much work. But I do think you should make it clear what your standpoint is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sven
>
> On 29 Aug 2010, at 04:30, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> You're probably busy, so just a little "ping" :-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas

>>> WebClientServerTest>>#testMultipartFiles
>>> WebClientServerTest>>#testMultipartFiles2
>>> WebClientServerTest>>#testServerError
>>> WebClientServerTest>>#testWebSockets
>>> WebClientServerTest>>#testWebSocketsFraming
>>>
>>> The #testServerError bothers me most.
>>>
>>> I am posting this to a Pharo list as well so that maybe others can help.
>>> Maybe I'll find the problems myself later on.
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi andreas

1- We talked a lot about Webclient used in the Pharo mailing-list and we were stupid to think that you read it. Luckily you did it at last.
2- I'm also surprised that nobody checked the license (me the first). Shit happens even with the best attitude. We are paying attention to contributor and
we learned something today.
3- Philippe contacted you with fixes several times and got no reply, sven too so people thought that you do not want to talk to them. Apparently not
so this is good.
4- We want to have a good web library in Pharo, so this will not webclient. I do not believe that this is good to build any
software on libraries that have an unclear license. At least I would not do it just to avoid to get trap in it.
5- We will remove (by today) WebClient from Pharo.
6- Pharoers will have to decide and probably to build an open one under MIT.
6- Some people do not like that they cannot improve the code they see and use daily.
7- This is your right to  criticize the code quality and design of Pharo, there is no problem with that. We have another point of view
after the years we spent. Now they may be some little glitches and if you have precise feedback we are open to hear them.
We are working working working and ... working on it and we are improving everyday -- may be too slowly.

Stef

> [...]

>> As I said before, it is your code and your decision what your standpoint is regarding portability (to Squeak derivatives and even other Smalltalks). I can understand it if you find it too much work. But I do think you should make it clear what your standpoint is.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 29 Aug 2010, at 04:30, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>> You're probably busy, so just a little "ping" :-)

Sven and philippe

I was wondering what was the license of your submissions to webClient.
Because this will be also a problem. Either you totally give it to andreas and he can do what he wants with it,
or you retain the right on the code and andreas has to decide what he will do with it.
Since you can change the license of your code I imagine that andreas will not include any code if the
code is not given to him.

Funny situation. I think that it is even more confusing than with the old Squeak-L.

Stef

On Aug 30, 2010, at 12:00 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> As I said before, it is your code and your decision what your standpoint is regarding portability (to Squeak derivatives and even other Smalltalks). I can understand it if you find it too much work. But I do think you should make it clear what your standpoint is.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 29 Aug 2010, at 04:30, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>> You're probably busy, so just a little "ping" :-)

Adrian Lienhard
I fully agree with Stef.

I don't remember why I assumed the license was MIT, maybe because on
Andreas' blog it says: "we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP
server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1". Isn't the missing
license an issue for Squeak? Anyway, obviously its a no-go not only for
Pharo but also for companies (like us at Cmsbox, who considered using
WebClient in the future).

Cheers,
Adrian

Zitat von Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>> Ancestors: WebClient-Core-StephaneDucasse.73, WebClient-Core-pmm.73
>>>
>>> merged in pharo-core 1.2
>>>
>>> We're down to 2 unit test failures/errors againt your latest tests.
>>>
>>> A number of people including myself are interested, enthousiastic
>>> and willing to help bring WebClient to Pharo (1.1 and 1.2), and by
>>> using it, help it improve its core functionality. However, the
>>> current process, whereby you mostly ignore Pharo related fixes,
>>> makes that very difficult (we basically almost have to start over
>>> again with each commit you do, comparing changes becomes harder and
>>> harder). You can check the Pharo mailing lists.
>>>
>>> As I said before, it is your code and your decision what your
>>> standpoint is regarding portability (to Squeak derivatives and even
>>> other Smalltalks). I can understand it if you find it too much
>>> work. But I do think you should make it clear what your standpoint

Hi pharoers

What do you think?
I think that we should not have any software parts whose license is not set clearly in Pharo.
So I will remove WebClient from Pharo.
I suggest that the people that want and know, group together and build an open-source one.

> [...]

>> As I said before, it is your code and your decision what your standpoint is regarding portability (to Squeak derivatives and even other Smalltalks). I can understand it if you find it too much work. But I do think you should make it clear what your standpoint is.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 29 Aug 2010, at 04:30, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>> You're probably busy, so just a little "ping" :-)

A final point:

I can understand that andreas does not want to get fork. I understand that he can think that
we are stealing code. I think that this is fair to think that. Now as miguel mentioned about SPDF,
the solution is in the process: one way to avoid fork is to be open to other changes and to get a real review process
and some compromise. We should have contacted him publicly but we still have some communication problems :)
This is a long period of time since we did not said any "vicious", I personally prefer positive energy and I'm ranting clean.
Pharo is my red pil. :)
Now I think that not putting license is not a solution that can scale but this is his choice.

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

laurent laffont
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi pharoers

What do you think?
I think that we should not have any software parts whose license is not set clearly in Pharo.
So I will remove WebClient from Pharo.

It can still be maintained as an external package and it seems it's Andreas intent.

Anyway, WebClient must have a licence. No licence means nobody can use it (even Squeak). So I would like to know the licence before any decision.

PS: I don't understand the '(code) forks are evil' statement, I think it encourages "project forks" and closes contribution. This currently happens it seems.

Reminds me the squeak-vm on github thread .....

Laurent

> [...]

>> As I said before, it is your code and your decision what your standpoint is regarding portability (to Squeak derivatives and even other Smalltalks). I can understand it if you find it too much work. But I do think you should make it clear what your standpoint is.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> On 29 Aug 2010, at 04:30, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>> You're probably busy, so just a little "ping" :-)

Same for squeakSSL. :)

Stef

On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:03 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> * I don't want WebClient to be included in Pharo since this means you will be producing a Pharo-only fork of WebClient which is counter-productive from my perspective. I want WebClient to remain a shared loadable package with a canonical source repository available to all forks of Squeak, including Pharo.
>>>
>>> * I have, and will continue to do so, integrate fixes for Pharo as long as I consider them reasonable. If there is interest, I can also provide an updated Metacello configuration; although that really just boils down to updating it to the latest package versions.

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Andreas,

I am not a lawyer but as far as I understand this topic, no license means nobody can use the code at all, which contradicts the fact of having it in a public repository (and you being perfectly happy of people using it).
Can you please clarify the license situation of those projects?

Best regards,
Johan

On 30 Aug 2010, at 00:00, Andreas Raab wrote:

> As you can see, when I mean to put code under the MIT license, I try to state that by including a copy of the license on the front page of the repository as well as setting the license field. Contrary to, for example, the following repositories:
>
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ar.html
> http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL.html
> http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient.html
>
> which are not (or not yet) under MIT. Obviously, I'm trying to be as clear as possible on these matters, which is why I was pointing out that your repository incorrectly claims that the version of WebClient in it is LGPLv2. I'm surprised (and shocked) that apparently nobody in Pharo even tries to find out what the license status for WebClient is.

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

Stéphane Ducasse
<ESUG> A little advertisement:
        Cincom pushed the idea to have a lawyer at ESUG to explain such kind of points, there will be a panel with Julian Fitzel, Bert Freudenberg so
        we will all learn. Prepare your questions.
</ESUG>

On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:40 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> I am not a lawyer but as far as I understand this topic, no license means nobody can use the code at all, which contradicts the fact of having it in a public repository (and you being perfectly happy of people using it).
> Can you please clarify the license situation of those projects?
>
> Best regards,
> Johan
>

> On 30 Aug 2010, at 00:00, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> As you can see, when I mean to put code under the MIT license, I try to state that by including a copy of the license on the front page of the repository as well as setting the license field. Contrary to, for example, the following repositories:
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/ar.html
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakSSL.html
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/WebClient.html
>>
>> which are not (or not yet) under MIT. Obviously, I'm trying to be as clear as possible on these matters, which is why I was pointing out that your repository incorrectly claims that the version of WebClient in it is LGPLv2. I'm surprised (and shocked) that apparently nobody in Pharo even tries to find out what the license status for WebClient is.

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi Andreas,

Thank you for clarifying your position and for pointing out the lack of a proper license for WebClient code.

I and other people in the Pharo community made a mistake and we're sorry. We will be more careful in the future.

But to our defense, as others pointed out, you're communications gave the impression that this was true open source, compatible with the standard Squeak one in spirit.

Futhermore, and this to your credit as well, you yourself wrote the WebClient-Pharo package, giving the impression that you valued that port. It also proves that you did the actual effort. Thanks you!

And indeed, you did incorporate some changes, so the intention was certainly there.

Now, I would not say that we already actually forked the code. We just tried to port it. The process of following your progress proved difficult (you probably made a diff between your and our latest versions), precisely because of some of these little things like #asString, #utf8Encoding, #and:and:and:and:, but also some deeper ones like #pathForFile that kept coming back.

You have every right to refuse to follow the Pharo Smalltalk spirit or style. I respect that, and the Pharo community as a whole should too.

But your refusal to do so and the lack of a license give us no alternative than to look for other solutions.

I wasn't there when the discussion that let to the birth of Pharo took place. But it is clear that the Smalltalk community is too small to not work together.

The Smalltalk-80 inheritance and the enormeous contributions of the Squeak community over the years should be respected by all. At the same time you cannot ignore the positive effect that Pharo had since then. For me and many others, Pharo definitively has its place, along many other viable Smalltalk implementations.

Regards,

Sven

> [...]

> * I don't want WebClient to be included in Pharo since this means you will be producing a Pharo-only fork of WebClient which is counter-productive from my perspective. I want WebClient to remain a shared loadable package with a canonical source repository available to all forks of Squeak, including Pharo.
>
> * I have, and will continue to do so, integrate fixes for Pharo as long as I consider them reasonable. If there is interest, I can also provide an updated Metacello configuration; although that really just boils down to updating it to the latest package versions.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

jaayer

---- On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 00:24:37 -0700 Stéphane Ducasse  wrote ----

>3- Philippe contacted you with fixes several times and got no reply, sven too so people thought that you do not want to talk to them. Apparently not
>so this is good.

Andreas was having mail issues. A few days ago I emailed him a small WebClient package after discussing a feature with him on Squeak-Dev. I left a note on the mailing list telling him about it, and he replied saying that he never got it. I sent it again, and he informed me after doing some digging that it and other emails bearing attachments had gotten caught in his spam filter.

If you don't get a response from him, send your email again or leave a message on Squeak-Dev. Andreas has shown a great willingness to cooperate and accept patches to make WebClient cross-compatible with Pharo.

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi pharoers
>
> What do you think?
> I think that we should not have any software parts whose license is not set clearly in Pharo.
> So I will remove WebClient from Pharo.
> I suggest that the people that want and know, group together and build an open-source one.

Why do you have to have your "own" library? What's wrong with one that
could be shared by all Squeak forks?

Levente

> [...]
>>>
>>> merged in pharo-core 1.2
>>>
>>> We're down to 2 unit test failures/errors againt your latest tests.
>>>
>>> A number of people including myself are interested, enthousiastic and willing to help bring WebClient to Pharo (1.1 and 1.2), and by using it, help it improve its core functionality. However, the current process, whereby you mostly ignore Pharo related fixes, makes that very difficult (we basically almost have to start over again with each commit you do, comparing changes becomes harder and harder). You can check the Pharo mailing lists.
>>>
>>> As I said before, it is your code and your decision what your standpoint is regarding portability (to Squeak derivatives and even other Smalltalks). I can understand it if you find it too much work. But I do think you should make it clear what your standpoint is.

ok
On Aug 30, 2010, at 12:01 PM, jaayer wrote:

> ---- On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 00:24:37 -0700 Stéphane Ducasse  wrote ----
>
>> 3- Philippe contacted you with fixes several times and got no reply, sven too so people thought that you do not want to talk to them. Apparently not
>> so this is good.
>
> Andreas was having mail issues. A few days ago I emailed him a small WebClient package after discussing a feature with him on Squeak-Dev. I left a note on the mailing list telling him about it, and he replied saying that he never got it. I sent it again, and he informed me after doing some digging that it and other emails bearing attachments had gotten caught in his spam filter.
>
> If you don't get a response from him, send your email again or leave a message on Squeak-Dev. Andreas has shown a great willingness to cooperate and accept patches to make WebClient cross-compatible with Pharo.

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

>> I suggest that the people that want and know, group together and build an open-source one.
>
> Why do you have to have your "own" library?

Did I say "pharo library"? reread carefully I said an "open-source one".
This is not our own library, this is a library we can contribute, control....
We do not want to be in the situation that somebody can change the license under our feet.
We want a library where people can participate. Now Pharoers will decide, I think that we do not have problem
with sharing on WebClient. I can understand that people do not like that they cannot improve an infrastructure
that they will rely upon. We do not want string to number conversion, and rely on squeakToUtf.

Now I was not even aware of the ConfigurationOfWebClient. There is none in the squeaksource repository.
So how can we guess? I'm not reading squeak-dev and no idea that there is even somebody using metacello.

> What's wrong with one that could be shared by all Squeak forks?

We do not have problem with sharing. You can take anything you like from Pharo.

Seaside, Magritte, Pier, RB,.... are all MIT
OB is MIT and lukas pushed it a lot recently for everybody.
Moose is BSD, MIT,
Glamour, Mondrian MIT
and I'm sure that they are more. :)
they are all external projects.

We discussed on the mailing-list what to do and people thought that it would be good to get
in included it. Probably we missed the point that we just need SocketStream to load the rest. I'm dull but learning
everyday. For me I just cannot stand HTTPSocket and the network package so anything is better.

But may be it was a mistake. Note that I hope that squeakers will not bash us as the guys that want to
play it alone because this is not the case, but people can bash us if this helps them to feel good. Pharo is there for that too ;D.
WebClient was the perfect case for sharing but Andreas decided differently.

Now
        - since the license is unclear
        - since the license of the contributors is unclear
we will not use it as an infrastructural assets for Pharo. I imagine that Seaside will not use it either.

Stef

> [...]
>>>
>>> * I don't want WebClient to be included in Pharo since this means you will be producing a Pharo-only fork of WebClient which is counter-productive from my perspective. I want WebClient to remain a shared loadable package with a canonical source repository available to all forks of Squeak, including Pharo.
>>>
>>> * I have, and will continue to do so, integrate fixes for Pharo as long as I consider them reasonable. If there is interest, I can also provide an updated Metacello configuration; although that really just boils down to updating it to the latest package versions.

What I get from Andreas' words is that he's willing to make it open source
if it won't be forked.

> This is not our own library, this is a library we can contribute, control....

You can contribute to WebClient, but you don't have full control, just
like any external packages.

> We do not want to be in the situation that somebody can change the license under our feet.
> We want a library where people can participate. Now Pharoers will decide, I think that we do not have problem
> with sharing on WebClient. I can understand that people do not like that they cannot improve an infrastructure
> that they will rely upon. We do not want string to number conversion, and rely on squeakToUtf.

I think Andreas solved these issues with the WebClient-Pharo package, but
I may be wrong.

> Now I was not even aware of the ConfigurationOfWebClient. There is none in the squeaksource repository.

It's in MetacelloRepository.

> So how can we guess? I'm not reading squeak-dev and no idea that there is even somebody using metacello.

Well, Squeak users also use Metacello. Dale is kind enough to maintain
Metacello configurations for Squeak too.

>> What's wrong with one that could be shared by all Squeak forks?
>
> We do not have problem with sharing. You can take anything you like from Pharo.
>
> Seaside, Magritte, Pier, RB,.... are all MIT
> OB is MIT and lukas pushed it a lot recently for everybody.
> Moose is BSD, MIT,
> Glamour, Mondrian MIT
> and I'm sure that they are more. :)
> they are all external projects.
>
> We discussed on the mailing-list what to do and people thought that it would be good to get
> in included it. Probably we missed the point that we just need SocketStream to load the rest. I'm dull but learning
> everyday. For me I just cannot stand HTTPSocket and the network package so anything is better.
>
> But may be it was a mistake. Note that I hope that squeakers will not bash us as the guys that want to
> play it alone because this is not the case, but people can bash us if this helps them to feel good. Pharo is there for that too ;D.
> WebClient was the perfect case for sharing but Andreas decided differently.
I think he didn't decide yet, but prove me wrong.

> Now
> - since the license is unclear
> - since the license of the contributors is unclear
> we will not use it as an infrastructural assets for Pharo. I imagine that Seaside will not use it either.

Well, we are about to use it for Seaside. It scales a lot better than
Kom. Cog can't really speed up Kom (based on our benchmarks done with
JMeter)*, probably because of the heavy use of notifications
(DynamicBindings), but it can boost WebClient significantly.

Levente

*The benchmark is done with 50 concurrent "users", clicking the counter
example as fast as they can:

Label Throughput (kB/s) Average response time (ms)
Squeak-Kom 69.53 690
Squeak-WebClient 105.46 447
Cog-Squeak-Kom 74.54 617
Cog-Squeak-WebClient 226.80 193

I didn't include the Pharo results, because when we did the benchmark,
there was no Cog support for Pharo.
The max response time for Cog-Squeak-WebClient (575ms) was less than the
average of Cog-Squeak-Kom.

> Stef
>

>> Levente
>>

>>> Stef

Lukas Renggli
>> We want a library where people can participate. Now Pharoers will decide,
>> I think that we do not have problem
>> with sharing on WebClient. I can understand that people do not like that
>> they cannot improve an infrastructure
>> that they will rely upon. We do not want string to number conversion, and
>> rely on squeakToUtf.
>
> I think Andreas solved these issues with the WebClient-Pharo package, but I
> may be wrong.

What WebClient-Pharo does is to patch (and break) Pharo in the most
absurd ways to make it ill-behaved like Squeak. For example, check out
the implementation of String>>#,.

Philippe (an expert in writing platform independent code) and Sven
have fixed all these issues so that the code works flawlessly on both
platforms, Squeak and Pharo.

> Well, we are about to use it for Seaside. It scales a lot better than Kom.
> Cog can't really speed up Kom (based on our benchmarks done with JMeter)*,
> probably because of the heavy use of notifications (DynamicBindings), but it
> can boost WebClient significantly.

Kom is not ideal, we all know that (thanks for sharing the
benchmarks). However, the current licensing situation of WebClient
makes it totally useless for me and presumably many other people.
Luckily there are many other options.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

Henrik Sperre Johansen

On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:06 10PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

>>> Why do you have to have your "own" library?
>>
>> Did I say "pharo library"? reread carefully I said an "open-source one".
>
> What I get from Andreas' words is that he's willing to make it open source if it won't be forked.

So, definitely not MIT then.
I guess that means the long-term plan of replacing HttpSocket in Squeak is out as well?

>> We do not want to be in the situation that somebody can change the license under our feet.
>> We want a library where people can participate. Now Pharoers will decide, I think that we do not have problem
>> with sharing on WebClient. I can understand that people do not like that they cannot improve an infrastructure
>> that they will rely upon. We do not want string to number conversion, and rely on squeakToUtf.
>
> I think Andreas solved these issues with the WebClient-Pharo package, but I may be wrong.

If you call overriding String #, (to accept any object responding to asString without raising errors) and Collection #ifEmpty: (to return nil instead of the collection ifNotEmpty) "solving the issues" in Pharo,  then yeah, sure.
If you call (re)introducing #squeakToUtf8/#utf8ToSqueak instead of using convertTo/FromEncoding: 'utf8', then yes.

Personally, I'd call it forcing Squeakisms on anyone wanting to use WebClient, and potentially breaking any number of other packages.

The rest I have no problems with, most are fixes/convenience methods which are already in, or should be introduced before Pharo 1.2 (for exampe the SocketStream fixes )

Cheers,
Henry

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

FDominicus
Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> writes:

>>> Why do you have to have your "own" library?
>>
>> Did I say "pharo library"? reread carefully I said an "open-source one".
>
> What I get from Andreas' words is that he's willing to make it open
> source if it won't be forked.
Hm I think this is impossible. If it's OS it's up to whomever get its
hand on it. Or am I mistaken?

Regards
Friedrich

--
Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final

> Personally, I'd call it forcing Squeakisms on anyone wanting to use WebClient, and potentially breaking any number of other packages.
>
> The rest I have no problems with, most are fixes/convenience methods which are already in, or should be introduced before Pharo 1.2 (for exampe the SocketStream fixes )

I think that we integrated all the socketStreams fixes last week or so.

1234