Re: What is the business purpose of SmallScript

Re: What is the business purpose of SmallScript

David Simmons
"Randy A. Ynchausti" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:pV%i6.1166$[hidden email]...
> In a sentence or three -- can anyone tell me what the business purpose and
> use of SmallScript will be?  I was discussing a few things with Nevin
today
> and ran into my ignorance on this one.

SmallScript(tm) is a new language, that encompasses Smalltalk. On the
Window's platform it is being focused for use within the Windows Scripting
Host family of functionality which will enable its application and use for
building solutions around a broad range of todays Window's services. One of
those application areas is server and client scripting of IIS web (pages)
services and database technologies. Another application is the use of it
with or as an alternative/substitute for Visual Basic, Python, JScript, or
C++ in the general realm of COM and ActiveX automation.

Microsoft has developed their next generation of system and application
platform technology, known as .NET. The .NET platform when available in
final form later this year to early next year will enable programmable
access, security, distributed and versioned deployment, and mixed language
integration with nearly every Microsoft technology and all 3rd party
techology/soltuions that are COM, ActiveX, and OLE capable systems.

SmallScript for COM, ActiveX automation, and .NET enables Smalltalk
principles and design, as well as some existing frameworks to be used for
developing, integrating, and deploying with COM, ActiveX automation and
Microsoft .NET capable technologies. This includes Microsoft Office,
BackOffice, IIS, all the database tools, BizTalk, and the vast array of 3rd
party systems that work with COM or are being revised to work with .NET.

SmallScript's hi performance, small footprint, language level transparent
integration of COM and ActiveX automation significantly expands the
applicability of Smalltalk by enabling it to be used to develop solutions
for today's technology that will be deployable on both today's technology
and Microsoft's next generation of .NET solutions and architectures.

SmallScript runs on two different platforms. The first is its native
platform, the Agents Object System(tm) [AOS(tm)], the second is Microsoft's
.NET platform. The AOS(tm) platform is QKS' universal virtual machine and
object model technology. The AOS currently supports the Windows X86 family
of operating systems, with planned releases for other systems including
Linux and the MacOS [w/COM and ActiveX functionality].

At this time, SmallScript has not been released and is not yet available for
review. When it is released later this year, the basic systems for the AOS
platform versions will be *free*. The next scheduled demonstration,
discussion, and presentation will be at Smalltalk Solutions in April.

See also:
    www.gotdotnet.com
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/ecma/

-- Dave Simmons [www.qks.com / www.smallscript.com]
  "Effectively solving a problem begins with how you express it."

> Regards,
>
> Randy

Re: What is the business purpose of SmallScript

Randal L. Schwartz

David> SmallScript runs on two different platforms. The first is its
David> native platform, the Agents Object System(tm) [AOS(tm)], the
David> second is Microsoft's .NET platform. The AOS(tm) platform is
David> QKS' universal virtual machine and object model technology. The
David> AOS currently supports the Windows X86 family of operating
David> systems, with planned releases for other systems including
David> Linux and the MacOS [w/COM and ActiveX functionality].

David> At this time, SmallScript has not been released and is not yet
David> available for review. When it is released later this year, the
David> basic systems for the AOS platform versions will be *free*. The
David> next scheduled demonstration, discussion, and presentation will
David> be at Smalltalk Solutions in April.

Does that mean you're planning on resurrecting the MacOS AOS system
which your company abandoned a few years ago, leaving many people
bewildered as you ran off for greener pastures?  Do you have an
announceable timeline on that?  Will it take advantage of MacOS X
interfaces?

Re: What is the business purpose of SmallScript

David Simmons
"Randal L. Schwartz" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> David> SmallScript runs on two different platforms. The first is its
> David> native platform, the Agents Object System(tm) [AOS(tm)], the
> David> second is Microsoft's .NET platform. The AOS(tm) platform is
> David> QKS' universal virtual machine and object model technology. The
> David> AOS currently supports the Windows X86 family of operating
> David> systems, with planned releases for other systems including
> David> Linux and the MacOS [w/COM and ActiveX functionality].
>
> David> At this time, SmallScript has not been released and is not yet
> David> available for review. When it is released later this year, the
> David> basic systems for the AOS platform versions will be *free*. The
> David> next scheduled demonstration, discussion, and presentation will
> David> be at Smalltalk Solutions in April.
>
> Does that mean you're planning on resurrecting the MacOS AOS system
> which your company abandoned a few years ago, leaving many people
> bewildered as you ran off for greener pastures?

I would more characterize it as surviving the Apple holocaust. The QKS
company of that era was restructured and so (effectively) no longer exists.

> Do you have an announceable timeline on that?

No. Hopefully I've learned from some of those mistakes. Be pessimistic and
assume you're not going to see it for a lonnng time; then you stand a better
chance of being pleasantly surprised.

I can tell you it is under development and it is exclusively for MacOSX
*not* OS9 and earlier.

It will have no relation to the SmalltalkAgents product for the MacOS; other
than it will run Smalltalk code :). [* well that's probably not entirely
true, the design of the extended frameworks for graphics and UI are similar.
And I did design and build both systems. *].

The core system will also be *free* just like the Win32/x86 versions.

> Will it take advantage of MacOS X interfaces?

It is too early to say, but I believe it will be smoothly if not
transparently integrated with Cocoa (and probably support COM/ActiveX as
well).

> --
> Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
0095
> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
training!