Re: Window Vista compatibility

Charles Adams
I'm about to spend $3500 of my own money on a new computer and I'd like to know whether or not I need to stick with XP. Please, I need an answer to my question.

Re: Window Vista compatibility

jarober
We will support Vista with the next release of Cincom Smalltalk after
the one coming out in March (i.e., after VW 7.5 and OST 7.1.2)

At 04:27 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:

>I'm about to spend $3500 of my own money on a new computer and I'd
>like to know whether or not I need to stick with XP. Please, I need
>an answer to my question.

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

RE: Window Vista compatibility

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
If you don't have a good reason for Vista, why not stick with XP and
stay on the safe side? If you're replacing an existing computer, you may
be able to transfer your XP license to the new one and have the choice
later on without having to pay extra for Vista upgrade down the road.

Just a thought,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

That's a possiblity. Thanks

> If you don't have a good reason for Vista, why not stick with XP and
> stay on the safe side? If you're replacing an existing computer, you may
> be able to transfer your XP license to the new one and have the choice
> later on without having to pay extra for Vista upgrade down the road.
>
> Just a thought,
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
> http://tinyurl.com/r7uw4
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> attachments.
>
> Thank you.

Dave Stevenson-2
I don't know that anyone at Cincom has already tried older versions on
Vista, or even how many of us have it installed.

But one thing some of us are looking into is using VMWare on dual-core
machines to run multiple OS's. On my HP laptop running XP, I want to add
a linux and a Vista image. I'd also add Mac OSX for intel if Apple will
change their licensing to allow it to run on non-Apple hardware.

Dave

Charles Adams wrote:

> I'm about to spend $3500 of my own money on a new computer and I'd like
> to know whether or not I need to stick with XP. Please, I need an answer
> to my question.

So, several months away, if not a year?

> We will support Vista with the next release of Cincom Smalltalk after
> the one coming out in March (i.e., after VW 7.5 and OST 7.1.2)
>
> At 04:27 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:
>>I'm about to spend $3500 of my own money on a new computer and I'd
>>like to know whether or not I need to stick with XP. Please, I need
>>an answer to my question.

R: Window Vista compatibility

Giorgio Ferraris
Support is one thing, with all of the official related stuff, but are you
sure VW will not work on Vista already? Someone known of problems running on
it?

Ciao

Giorgio Ferraris

At 04:27 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:

>I'm about to spend $3500 of my own money on a new computer and I'd
>like to know whether or not I need to stick with XP. Please, I need
>an answer to my question.

13.44

RE: Window Vista compatibility

Joerg Beekmann, DeepCove Labs (YVR)
As I had mentioned to Charles or 7.4.1 based runtime started up and passed a 1 minute smoke test on Vista. That's the extent of our experimentation.

Joerg

Denis Johnson
Those of you looking at virtualisation, you may be interested to look at:

http://www.virtualbox.org

cheers Denis

On 2/21/07, Dave Stevenson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know that anyone at Cincom has already tried older versions on
> Vista, or even how many of us have it installed.
>
> But one thing some of us are looking into is using VMWare on dual-core
> machines to run multiple OS's. On my HP laptop running XP, I want to add
> a linux and a Vista image. I'd also add Mac OSX for intel if Apple will
> change their licensing to allow it to run on non-Apple hardware.
>
> Dave
>
> Charles Adams wrote:
> > I'm about to spend $3500 of my own money on a new computer and I'd like
> > to know whether or not I need to stick with XP. Please, I need an answer
> > to my question.

iakovz
I run feb07.3-4 on my Vista box without any problems. In particular, I
use Seaside and Pollock as well as Tools

2007/3/6, Denis Johnson <[hidden email]>:

> Those of you looking at virtualisation, you may be interested to look at:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org
>
> cheers Denis
>
> On 2/21/07, Dave Stevenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I don't know that anyone at Cincom has already tried older versions on
> > Vista, or even how many of us have it installed.
> >
> > But one thing some of us are looking into is using VMWare on dual-core
> > machines to run multiple OS's. On my HP laptop running XP, I want to add
> > a linux and a Vista image. I'd also add Mac OSX for intel if Apple will
> > change their licensing to allow it to run on non-Apple hardware.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > Charles Adams wrote:
> > > I'm about to spend $3500 of my own money on a new computer and I'd like
> > > to know whether or not I need to stick with XP. Please, I need an answer
> > > to my question.

[|]
With best regards, Yakov Zaytsev <[hidden email]>

Re: Window Vista compatibility

Dave Stevenson-2
VirtualBox does not yet support any 64-bit operating systems, so it
would not be able to test our VMs on Vista or any 64-bit unix variants.

Dave