Re: Yet another cute quote

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/com/html/f5f66603-466c-496b-be29-89a8ed9361dd.asp

<quote>
The only language requirement for COM is that code is generated in a
language that can create structures of pointers and, either explicitly
or implicitly, call functions through pointers. Object-oriented
languages such as Microsoft® Visual C++® and Smalltalk provide
programming mechanisms that simplify the implementation of COM objects,
but languages such as C, Pascal, Ada, Java, and even BASIC programming
environments can create and use COM objects.
</quote>

This is just about the last place I would have expected to see Smalltalk
mentioned alongside VC++ and over Java etc

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

Re: Yet another cute quote

jWarrior
Boris Popov wrote:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/com/html/f5f66603-466c-496b-be29-89a8ed9361dd.asp
>

> <quote>
> The only language requirement for COM is that code is generated in a
> language that can create structures of pointers and, either explicitly
> or implicitly, call functions through pointers. Object-oriented
> languages such as Microsoft® Visual C++® and Smalltalk provide
> programming mechanisms that simplify the implementation of COM
> objects, but languages such as C, Pascal, Ada, Java, and even BASIC
> programming environments can create and use COM objects.
> </quote>

Yeah, it's pretty easy to interface with something (sorta) like objects
when you have real objects on your end.

The more I see of other languages, the more I thank God I have the
opportunity to use Smalltalk. The syntax of Java and C++ drives me blind
anymore. I don't know how people do it everyday, and I hope never to
find out!

Jwars would have been toast years ago if it had been written in another
language.

Here's to Smalltalk!

- Donald

> This is just about the last place I would have expected to see
> Smalltalk mentioned alongside VC++ and over Java etc
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Boris

Re: Yet another cute quote

Rich Demers
Yes Donald, but has JWARS success driven any other DOD applications to
Smalltalk?

>> The only language requirement for COM is that code is generated in a
>> language that can create structures of pointers and, either explicitly or
>> implicitly, call functions through pointers. Object-oriented languages
>> such as Microsoft® Visual C++® and Smalltalk provide programming
>> mechanisms that simplify the implementation of COM objects, but languages
>> such as C, Pascal, Ada, Java, and even BASIC programming environments can
>> create and use COM objects.
>> </quote>
>

> Yeah, it's pretty easy to interface with something (sorta) like objects
> when you have real objects on your end.
>
> The more I see of other languages, the more I thank God I have the
> opportunity to use Smalltalk. The syntax of Java and C++ drives me blind
> anymore. I don't know how people do it everyday, and I hope never to find
> out!
>
> Jwars would have been toast years ago if it had been written in another
> language.
>
> Here's to Smalltalk!
>
> - Donald
>

>> This is just about the last place I would have expected to see Smalltalk
>> mentioned alongside VC++ and over Java etc
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> -Boris

Re: Yet another cute quote

jWarrior
Rich Demers wrote:

> Yes Donald, but has JWARS success driven any other DOD applications to
> Smalltalk?

No. People in DoD also seem to get all their technical opinions from the
trade rags. Just the other day we had some moron ask when we were going
to rewrite JWARS in a "non-proprietary" language.  The fact that JWARS
is written in Smalltalk is just another stick for its opponents to use
to criticize it. I think what they really fear is that they won't be
able to fiddle  JWARS to get the results they want -- not enough knobs
to adjust.