Re: a question about method browsers in pharo

Re: a question about method browsers in pharo

David Röthlisberger-2

> A change set would be great.

ok, what I did is to put new versions of System and Tools into PharoInbox:
System-david_roethlisberger.221
Tools-david_roethlisberger.141

I adapted SystemNavigation and ToolSet to be able to distinguish between implementors
and senders, so that a concrete ToolSet implementation can open a dedicated browser.
I also adapted DEVToolSet which actually opens the correct OB based browser to show
senders or implementors.
To get this you need to update ImageForDevelopers and OB itself to the latest versions.
Would be good if someone could test and harvest these changes.

 > Is there a real reason to keep the
> OBMethodListBrowser? What is it good for?

It's used to mimic MessageSet, the traditional browser for senders, implementors, and
any other list of messages.
I guess this browser makes sense to show unrelated methods, for instance all methods
containing a halt, where we don't care about the senders of those messages.

David

> On Feb 9, 2009, at 16:12, David Röthlisberger wrote:
>
>> Hi Oscar,
>>
>>> If I enable halos and explore the morphs, I see that the first one
>>> has
>>> as its model an OBImplementorsBrowser, and the second an
>>> OBMethodListBrowser.  Why not simply use the latter?  I searched for
>>> references to both, but did not immediately see how to change the
>>> behaviour on <cmd>-m.
>> I think it is the other way around: In the workspace you get the
>> OBMethodListBrowser
>> and in the class browser the OBImplementorsBrowser?
>>
>> The reason for this is that the workspace passes the request to the
>> SystemNavigation
>> class. After this class has gathered the set of messages to display,
>> it passes this
>> set to a method opening the so called message set browser which can
>> only reason about
>> a set of methods, not about whether these are senders or
>> implementors. That's why we
>> get a generic message list browser there but a dedicated
>> implementors browser in OB.
>>
>> So we need to change SystemNavigation to achieve the same result in
>> both scenarios. I
>> can propose a change set.
>>
>> David

Re: a question about method browsers in pharo

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:17 PM, David Röthlisberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To get this you need to update ImageForDevelopers and OB itself to the latest versions.
> Would be good if someone could test and harvest these changes.

Thank you for updating ImageForDevelopers. I saw you also updated the
Squeak branch, is that an error?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: a question about method browsers in pharo

David Röthlisberger-2

>> To get this you need to update ImageForDevelopers and OB itself to the latest versions.
>> Would be good if someone could test and harvest these changes.
>
> Thank you for updating ImageForDevelopers. I saw you also updated the
> Squeak branch, is that an error?

No, I also use this in Squeak. There of course it's difficult to get the System and
Tools packages updated... so I do this manually.
DEVToolSet still works as usual even if System and Tools don't contain this change,
so I was thinking that it doesn't do any harm when the change is also in DEVToolSet
for Squeak.

David

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM, David Röthlisberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No, I also use this in Squeak. There of course it's difficult to get the System and
> Tools packages updated... so I do this manually.
> DEVToolSet still works as usual even if System and Tools don't contain this change,
> so I was thinking that it doesn't do any harm when the change is also in DEVToolSet
> for Squeak.

I agree, thank you