Re: [ann] moldable brick editor - alpha

abergel
This is gorgeous!

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

> [...]
>
> The functionality of the editor includes: rendering, line wrapping, keypress and shortcut handling, navigation, selection and text styling. Currently, the editor is 1260  lines of code including method and class comments. This is not large for a text editor and this is possible because most of the work is done by generic concepts that already exist in Bloc such as layouts and text measurements. Beside the small maintenance cost, the benefit is that we have the option to build all sorts of variations with little effort. That is why we call this a moldable text editor.
>
> Another benefit of using elements and layouts is that we can also embed other kinds of non-text elements with little effort (such as pictures), and obtain a rich and live text editor. We already have basic examples for this behavior, and we will focus more in the next period on this area.
>
> The next immediate step is to add syntax highlighting. Beside the text attributes problem, this issue will also exercise the thread-safety the implementation is. The underlying structure (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope_(data_structure)) is theoretically thread-safe, but it still needs to be proven in practice.
>
> We think this is a significant step because the editor was the main piece missing in Brick and it will finally allow us to build value that can be directly perceived by regular users on top of Brick and this, in turn, will generate more traction. Please also note that because now Bloc is directly embeddable in Morphic it means that we can actually start using it right away. For example, the picture below shows the text element being shown through a live preview in the GTInspector.
>
> <AC36A55F-405C-6147-9E0F-BA1F6F1008BA.png>
>
> This is another puzzle piece towards the final goal of engineering the future of the Pharo user interface. There is still a long way to go to reach that goal, but considering the work that is behind us, that goal that looked so illusive when Alain and Stef initiated the Bloc project is now palpable.
>
> We will continue the work on this over the next period and we expect to announce new developments soon.
>
> If you want to play with it, you can load the code like this (works in both Pharo 6 and 7):
> Iceberg enableMetacelloIntegration: true.
> Metacello new
>    baseline: 'Brick';
>    repository: 'github://pharo-graphics/Brick/src';
>    load: #development
>
> Please let us know what you think.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex and Doru
>

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
> www.feenk.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"

philippe.back@highoctane.be
Awesome news.

Maybe will we have a way to get vim style bindings with it.

Will we?

Phil

On Aug 5, 2017 00:20, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Playground
@ • a8rEditorE1ement x
Page
— BrRopedText string: Emphasizing everything
text :
nothing'
text attributes: { BrFontSizeAttribute size: 66 } .
text
attributes: {
BrTextForegroundAttri bute paint: (
BILinearGradientPaint new
stops: 9 —> Color red .
start:
end:
from: 1 to: 11;
Color
blue} ;
attributes: { BrFontWeightAttribute bold } from: 12
attributes: { BrFontEmphasisAttribute italic from:
emphasi zi ng
to: 17;
18 to: 22;
Raw Preview Live User data Metrics Meta
Em hasizing
ever thin is
emphasizing
nothing
attributes: { BrTextBackgroundAttribute paint: Color yellow
from: 27 to: 37;
attributes: {
BrFontWeightAttribute thin.
BrTextForegroundAttribute paint: Color gray.
BrFontSizeAttribute size: 40 from: 39 to: 45.
element :
BrEditorElement new
size: 400 @ 600;
edi tor: (BrTextEdi tor new text: text) .

[...]

Esteban A. Maringolo
It seems to be very snappy considering the size of the file and its amount of characters.

I still don't get how Bloc and Brick plays in current Pharo, nor what this "moldability" adds to it.
But performancewise it seems to be an improvement over the existing editor (Rubric?).

Congratulations!

Esteban A. Maringolo