Re: config page questions

Avi  Bryant

On Jan 11, 2006, at 6:07 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>      When I look at the /seaside/config page, and then choose
> config for
> one of the listed apps, an app specific page is show.  Is there any
> plans to put explanitory text on that page as to what each of the
> options are?  I don't understand some of them.  For example, Server
> Port shows as 80, which is just wrong.
>
>      Ones I'm interested in are: Always Redirect, Server Port, Server
> Protocol.  What do they mean, and what does changing them do?

- Always Redirect: Seaside will, by default, issue a redirect after
every request (so there's a 302 for every 200).  Any side effects
come before the redirect is issued, which means that reloading or
using the back button will always be side effect free.  If you want
to sacrifice this safety/convenience for better latency, you can turn
Always Redirect off.
- Server Port/Protocol: these are intended for the situation where
you have Seaside behind a forwarder or SSL wrapper.  They let it
generate the right absolute URLs.  In some cases it can figure these
out itself from the Host header and they're unnecessary.

Avi

RE: config page questions

Blanchard, Todd
While we are discussing the config page/app, I thought I'd share a little annoyance.

Many urls in seaside for links/form posts/etc are generated as absolute urls.  This means moving an image to another machine is virtually impossible if you've set the server name in the config app.

Was this a conscious choice?  Having all the urls be relative would make things a lot nicer WRT deploying the same image to multiple machines.

Re: config page questions

Avi  Bryant

On Jan 12, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Blanchard, Todd wrote:

> While we are discussing the config page/app, I thought I'd share a
> little annoyance.
>
> Many urls in seaside for links/form posts/etc are generated as
> absolute urls.  This means moving an image to another machine is
> virtually impossible if you've set the server name in the config app.
>
> Was this a conscious choice?  Having all the urls be relative would
> make things a lot nicer WRT deploying the same image to multiple
> machines.

I'm a little bit confused; if you're ok with them being relative, why
set the server name at all?  That option is there precisely for the
case where you want to force Seaside to produce specific absolute
URLs (for example, because something is choking on relative URLs in
the Location: header of a 302 response, which is technically not
proper HTTP).

I do tend to use absolute URLs in my deployments because I've been
bitten enough times by problems from keeping them relative, but I
have to admit that it's a bit cargo cultish by now - I couldn't tell
you without actually trying exactly where the problems lie.  One
thing that I did do recently is have Seaside grab the server name and
port automatically from the HOST header if they're not explicitly
set.  If you're either running Comanche directly on port 80, or have
your proxy configured to pass through the HOST header unchanged
(ProxyPreserveHost in Apache 2.0), then this will give you correct
absolute URLs without any manual configuration.

Avi

Re: config page questions

tblanchard
I'm using mod_proxy with apache 1.3 and the absolute urls being
produced don't work.

I have a server www.blackbagops.net, I set mod_proxy to proxy
www.blackbagops.net/seaside to 127.0.0.1:9090/seaside.

The links for "configure" and "remove" in the main config page are
all http://127.0.0.1:9090/seaside.... and don't work unless I'm
actually on the machine - remote config is not possible unless I set
the server to www.blackbagops.net in config's configure page.  But if
I do that, I can't take this image to another machine and do anything
with it because I can't figure out how to clear out those prefs.  Its
kind of a catch-22.

Apache doesn't rewrite the urls in the page to match and
127.0.0.1:9090 doesn't work unless you happen to be on the host.

On Jan 13, 2006, at 1:51 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 8:56 AM, Blanchard, Todd wrote:
>
>> While we are discussing the config page/app, I thought I'd share a
>> little annoyance.
>>
>> Many urls in seaside for links/form posts/etc are generated as
>> absolute urls.  This means moving an image to another machine is
>> virtually impossible if you've set the server name in the config app.
>>
>> Was this a conscious choice?  Having all the urls be relative
>> would make things a lot nicer WRT deploying the same image to
>> multiple machines.
>
> I'm a little bit confused; if you're ok with them being relative,
> why set the server name at all?  That option is there precisely for
> the case where you want to force Seaside to produce specific
> absolute URLs (for example, because something is choking on
> relative URLs in the Location: header of a 302 response, which is
> technically not proper HTTP).
>
> I do tend to use absolute URLs in my deployments because I've been
> bitten enough times by problems from keeping them relative, but I
> have to admit that it's a bit cargo cultish by now - I couldn't
> tell you without actually trying exactly where the problems lie.
> One thing that I did do recently is have Seaside grab the server
> name and port automatically from the HOST header if they're not
> explicitly set.  If you're either running Comanche directly on port
> 80, or have your proxy configured to pass through the HOST header
> unchanged (ProxyPreserveHost in Apache 2.0), then this will give
> you correct absolute URLs without any manual configuration.
>
> Avi

Re: config page questions

Avi  Bryant

On Jan 14, 2006, at 1:41 AM, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> I'm using mod_proxy with apache 1.3 and the absolute urls being
> produced don't work.
>
> I have a server www.blackbagops.net, I set mod_proxy to proxy
> www.blackbagops.net/seaside to 127.0.0.1:9090/seaside.
>
> The links for "configure" and "remove" in the main config page are
> all http://127.0.0.1:9090/seaside.... and don't work unless I'm
> actually on the machine - remote config is not possible unless I
> set the server to www.blackbagops.net in config's configure page.
> But if I do that, I can't take this image to another machine and do
> anything with it because I can't figure out how to clear out those
> prefs.  Its kind of a catch-22.
>
> Apache doesn't rewrite the urls in the page to match and
> 127.0.0.1:9090 doesn't work unless you happen to be on the host.

Short term fix: comment out all of
WAUrl>>takeServerParametersFromRequest:

Avi

Re: config page questions