Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

123

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Pharo Pholks,

Is the spirit of #GivingTuesday, I am publishing my secure session code in progress. Some changes to pharo's internals will allow this there, though I am currently doing my work in Squeak.

Cheers,
Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

stepharo
Hi robert

thanks but I do not get why you use dropbox and not a project on smalltalkhub?

Stef

Le 1/12/15 17:53, Robert Withers a écrit :
Pharo Pholks,

Is the spirit of #GivingTuesday, I am publishing my secure session code in progress. Some changes to pharo's internals will allow this there, though I am currently doing my work in Squeak.

Cheers,
Robert

Here is a newer version (201) with a protocol change to remove all
tcpIds from the rendezvous.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mgfglwu3e4bf4j/SqueakElib-rww.201.mcz?dl=0

- Robert

On 12/01/2015 07:37 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
> This version of the Cryptography package has beginnings of ReedSolomon
> encoding.
>
> The rendezvous is separated into an OperationProtocol and a
> StartupProtocol and the message pipeline of the session layer of
> SqueakElib has been completely rewritten and LayeredProtocols have
> been folded in. Please look at ElibVatTPDataTestCase for an example.
>
> Cryptography:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9dux2goimej79e/Cryptography-rww.40.mcz?dl=0
> SqueakElib:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yvkl3df89uyjnh/SqueakElib-rww.200.mcz?dl=0
>
> In the spirit of #GivingTuesday,
> Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Hi Stef,

Yes, my bailing on a more standard squeak project distribution solution is due to a few factors...

1 - environment confusion between Pharo and Squeak. I choose squeak due it is the native VMMaker and vm Dev environment.
2 - in squeak, the Cryptography and SqueakSource projects are inaccessible to me, as I can't reset my access.
3 - I haven't figured out next-gen git-based solutions. Prefer 1 file per class git mgmt but whatever. MCZs in git's fine but I chose to limit admin tasks and drive some actual coding in my time mgmt.

I think these cover my choices. I do like dropbox cloud storage lots.

What is the recommended squeak environmental solution? Is it a SqueakSource project? Which MCZ storage solution would be best?  Thank you.

---
robert

On Dec 3, 2015, at 3:10 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi robert

thanks but I do not get why you use dropbox and not a project on smalltalkhub?

Stef

Le 1/12/15 17:53, Robert Withers a écrit :
Pharo Pholks,

Is the spirit of #GivingTuesday, I am publishing my secure session code in progress. Some changes to pharo's internals will allow this there, though I am currently doing my work in Squeak.

Cheers,
Robert

Here is a newer version (201) with a protocol change to remove all
tcpIds from the rendezvous.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mgfglwu3e4bf4j/SqueakElib-rww.201.mcz?dl=0

- Robert

On 12/01/2015 07:37 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
> This version of the Cryptography package has beginnings of ReedSolomon
> encoding.
>
> The rendezvous is separated into an OperationProtocol and a
> StartupProtocol and the message pipeline of the session layer of
> SqueakElib has been completely rewritten and LayeredProtocols have
> been folded in. Please look at ElibVatTPDataTestCase for an example.
>
> Cryptography:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9dux2goimej79e/Cryptography-rww.40.mcz?dl=0
> SqueakElib:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yvkl3df89uyjnh/SqueakElib-rww.200.mcz?dl=0
>
> In the spirit of #GivingTuesday,
> Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 03-12-15 09:34, Robert Withers wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> Yes, my bailing on a more standard squeak project distribution solution
> is due to a few factors...
>
> 1 - environment confusion between Pharo and Squeak. I choose squeak due
> it is the native VMMaker and vm Dev environment.
> 2 - in squeak, the Cryptography and SqueakSource projects are
> inaccessible to me, as I can't reset my access.
> 3 - I haven't figured out next-gen git-based solutions. Prefer 1 file
> per class git mgmt but whatever. MCZs in git's fine but I chose to limit
> admin tasks and drive some actual coding in my time mgmt.
>
> I think these cover my choices. I do like dropbox cloud storage lots.
>
> What is the recommended squeak environmental solution? Is it a
> SqueakSource project? Which MCZ storage solution would be best?  Thank you.

Hi Robert,

We do not have a way to incorporate dropbox storage into our continuous
integration process (and AFAIK don't currently plan to add it). We
strongly prefer getting code in a way that can be handled automatically.
Please use one of the supported platforms:
- squeaksource
- ss3
- smalltalkhub
By asking in the squeak mailing list you should be able to have your
access reset. Alternatively, you can create an account on ss3 or
smalltalkhub.

Stephan

On 12/03/2015 06:30 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 03-12-15 09:34, Robert Withers wrote:
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> Yes, my bailing on a more standard squeak project distribution solution
>> is due to a few factors...
>>
>> 1 - environment confusion between Pharo and Squeak. I choose squeak due
>> it is the native VMMaker and vm Dev environment.
>> 2 - in squeak, the Cryptography and SqueakSource projects are
>> inaccessible to me, as I can't reset my access.
>> 3 - I haven't figured out next-gen git-based solutions. Prefer 1 file
>> per class git mgmt but whatever. MCZs in git's fine but I chose to limit
>> admin tasks and drive some actual coding in my time mgmt.
>>
>> I think these cover my choices. I do like dropbox cloud storage lots.
>>
>> What is the recommended squeak environmental solution? Is it a
>> SqueakSource project? Which MCZ storage solution would be best? Thank
>> you.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> We do not have a way to incorporate dropbox storage into our
> continuous integration process (and AFAIK don't currently plan to add
> it). We strongly prefer getting code in a way that can be handled
> automatically. Please use one of the supported platforms:
> - squeaksource
> - ss3
> - smalltalkhub
> By asking in the squeak mailing list you should be able to have your
> access reset. Alternatively, you can create an account on ss3 or
> smalltalkhub.

Are any of these used by both squeak and Pharo? That would be the right
move I think. I will ask about getting my password reset for
squeaksource, since that is where the old code resides.

- Robert

On 03-12-15 23:06, Robert Withers wrote:
> Are any of these used by both squeak and Pharo? That would be the right
> move I think. I will ask about getting my password reset for
> squeaksource, since that is where the old code resides.

All of them. Mostly timing of project start/high activity and who are
maintaining it decided on platforms. There was a time when squeaksource
was not so stable and then many projects migrated, and I currently hear
least about stability issues from ss3, but the load on smalltalkhub is
much higher, I assume, as that is used for the pharo ci.

In the not so far future Pharo is likely to move to a git based
infrastructure, using libgit2. Early adopters are already using it.
I haven't heard the squeak ideas about that.

Stephan

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
After my password reset on squeaksource, I committed to both
Cryptography and SqueakElib, project links below.

In the case of Cryptography, I had a version ported to Pharo ... I will
organize Pharo ports of both after Reed Solomon is stable, and announce
them to the Pharo list. This way both environments can be supported
through this one repository.

Robert

On 12/04/2015 04:35 AM, Stephan Eggermont wrote:

> On 03-12-15 23:06, Robert Withers wrote:
>> Are any of these used by both squeak and Pharo? That would be the right
>> move I think. I will ask about getting my password reset for
>> squeaksource, since that is where the old code resides.
>
> All of them. Mostly timing of project start/high activity and who are
> maintaining it decided on platforms. There was a time when
> squeaksource was not so stable and then many projects migrated, and I
> currently hear least about stability issues from ss3, but the load on
> smalltalkhub is much higher, I assume, as that is used for the pharo ci.
>
> In the not so far future Pharo is likely to move to a git based
> infrastructure, using libgit2. Early adopters are already using it.
> I haven't heard the squeak ideas about that.
>
> Stephan

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Best Regards

http://www.squeaksource.com/Cryptography.html
http://www.squeaksource.com/squeakelib.html

On 12/04/2015 05:44 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
[...]

I am unable to import these files into SqueakSource, so it may be best done from inside Pharo with Monticello. Here are working Crypto and SqueakElib in Pharo, prior to SecureSession refactoring and Reed Solomon. I include the correct version of LayeredProtocol.

Regards,
Robert

On 12/04/2015 05:47 AM, Robert Withers wrote:
[...]

Cryptography-Pharo-rww.37.mcz (320K) Download Attachment
SqueakElib-Pharo-rww.195.mcz (164K) Download Attachment
LayeredProtocol-rww.1.mcz (34K) Download Attachment

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
http://rmod.inria.fr/web/software/Fuel
http://rmod.inria.fr/web/software/Fuel/Version1.9/Documentation/Installation

"The default packageswork out of the box in Pharo 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 and Squeak 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4."

And I would guess newer versions too.

> On 04 Dec 2015, at 15:43, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use squeak 5.0 and would want the Fuel support to customize for wire serializations and substitutions, such that Squeak and Pharo could talk to each other, and all other Fuel environments. The Fuel changes I made are in the Pharo port of SqueakElib in the SqueakElib-CapTP-Serialization category and consist of a Decoder, Materializer and a Materialization.
>
> Robert
>
> On 12/04/2015 09:35 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> which squeak version?
>> of what?
>>
>>> On 04 Dec 2015, at 12:15, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and hope to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains one dialect, but something more general like Cryptography, or some cool project name, like Seaside, Fuel, ...

> On 04 Dec 2015, at 15:43, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use squeak 5.0 and would want the Fuel support to customize for wire serializations and substitutions, such that Squeak and Pharo could talk to each other, and all other Fuel environments. The Fuel changes I made are in the Pharo port of SqueakElib in the SqueakElib-CapTP-Serialization category and consist of a Decoder, Materializer and a Materialization.
>
> Robert
>
> On 12/04/2015 09:35 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>> which squeak version?
>> of what?
>>
>>> On 04 Dec 2015, at 12:15, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just realized that the squeak version uses ReferenceStream while the Pharo version uses Fuel, so the binary serializations are different and they won't speak to each other. Any chance that Fuel is ported to Squeak?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Robert

Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Robert Withers
Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the
number of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just
port SecureSession and bits.

Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
presenting ...

"Maelstrom"

A new distributed metric will be established in Maelstrom to measure
intra- & inter-vat activity: "Sanguinity".

Robert

PS. thanks for pointing out Fuel support for older squeaks.

On 12/04/2015 10:25 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and hope to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains one dialect, but something more general like Cryptography, or some cool project name, like Seaside, Fuel, ...
>
>> On 04 Dec 2015, at 15:43, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I use squeak 5.0 and would want the Fuel support to customize for wire serializations and substitutions, such that Squeak and Pharo could talk to each other, and all other Fuel environments. The Fuel changes I made are in the Pharo port of SqueakElib in the SqueakElib-CapTP-Serialization category and consist of a Decoder, Materializer and a Materialization.
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> On 12/04/2015 09:35 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>> which squeak version?
>>> of what?

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think that either Max or Martin did the Spur needed changes for Fuel.
So likely it should be easy to make it work in latest Squeak.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Robert Withers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I had to reconceptualize how substitutions worked in Pharo, while learning Fuel, as it has been awhile since I played with that serialization. I recently came back to smalltalk after years. My real goal is mobile code so it can run where it has most affinity, even though that's not yet known. Enter sanguinity.

This is great news and I am excited by the potential to see Squeak and Pharo talking to each other.

cheers,
Robert

[...]

I've created a new SqueakSource project for this:
http://www.squeaksource.com/maelstrom.html. All future improvements will
go to this repository.

Here's where wiki documentation can go:
https://github.com/SqueakCryptographySquad/maelstrom/wiki

Thank you for prompting this name change.

Robert

On 12/04/2015 10:57 AM, Robert Withers wrote:

> Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the
> number of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization,
> just port SecureSession and bits.
>
> Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
> presenting ...
>
> "Maelstrom"
>
> A new distributed metric will be established in Maelstrom to measure
> intra- & inter-vat activity: "Sanguinity".
>
> Robert
>
> PS. thanks for pointing out Fuel support for older squeaks.
>
> On 12/04/2015 10:25 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>> Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and
>> hope to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains
>> one dialect, but something more general like Cryptography, or some
>> cool project name, like Seaside, Fuel, ...
>>
>>> On 04 Dec 2015, at 15:43, Robert Withers
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use squeak 5.0 and would want the Fuel support to customize for
>>> wire serializations and substitutions, such that Squeak and Pharo
>>> could talk to each other, and all other Fuel environments. The Fuel
>>> changes I made are in the Pharo port of SqueakElib in the
>>> SqueakElib-CapTP-Serialization category and consist of a Decoder,
>>> Materializer and a Materialization.
>>>
>>> Robert

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: evolutions of squeakelib & crypto (Reed Solomon)

Ben Coman
On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Robert Withers
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the number
> of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just port
> SecureSession and bits.
>
> Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
> presenting ...
>
> "Maelstrom"

Great sounding name.  However some general advice for the community,
since I see a lot of great sounding project names drowned out in the
noise of our web-search-centric universe.  A litmus test for project
naming is using google search to find which return low search results.
Today, its more important to be unique than any other attribute of a
name.  So in general, *dictionary* english words are not the best.
One technique is to intentionally mispell the word you like.  Here are
some comparative examples (note, the surrounding quotes are required
to avoid google trying to be helpful and correct the spelling)...

"maelstrom"    --> 7,480,000
"maelstroom"  --> 6,200
"maelstrum"    --> 2,280
"maelstruum"  --> 7

Lots of interesting other techniques can be found by searching on:
techniques to generate brand names or domain names.

cheers -ben

On 12/05/2015 09:24 PM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 11:57 PM, Robert Withers
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Now I think you are right on with your observation. Additionally, the number
>> of dialects could increase further with Fuel serialization, just port
>> SecureSession and bits.
>>
>> Alright, I came up with a name and it may border on the egregious ...
>> presenting ...
>>
>> "Maelstrom"
> Great sounding name.  However some general advice for the community,
> since I see a lot of great sounding project names drowned out in the
> noise of our web-search-centric universe.  A litmus test for project
> naming is using google search to find which return low search results.
> Today, its more important to be unique than any other attribute of a
> name.  So in general, *dictionary* english words are not the best.
> One technique is to intentionally mispell the word you like.  Here are
> some comparative examples (note, the surrounding quotes are required
> to avoid google trying to be helpful and correct the spelling)...
>
> "maelstrom"    --> 7,480,000
> "maelstroom"  --> 6,200
> "maelstrum"    --> 2,280
> "maelstruum"  --> 7
>
> Lots of interesting other techniques can be found by searching on:
> techniques to generate brand names or domain names.
>
> cheers -ben

I would be happy to change the names to something more unique, though it
may take a few. Are you suggesting "maelstruum"?

cheers,
Robert

>> A new distributed metric will be established in Maelstrom to measure intra-
>> & inter-vat activity: "Sanguinity".
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> PS. thanks for pointing out Fuel support for older squeaks.
>>

>> On 12/04/2015 10:25 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
>>> Another suggestion: if you intend to make something cross dialect and hope
>>> to get traction, I would not use a project name which contains one dialect,
>>> but something more general like Cryptography, or some cool project name,
>>> like Seaside, Fuel, ...

123