Re: feedback

Alexandre Bergel
I read Stef comment before trying it out.
I agree with Stef.

Few additional comments:
        - When I develop an application, which pane should be the default
one? Package or Group? Group I feel. Maybe a different ordering will
make this clearer. Group, Hierarchy, Packages.
        - I feel the word Group a bit misleading. It does not say much
actually, especially since I am intended to use it all the time. No
better name to propose although.
        - Going from Group to hierarchy, and hierarchy -> Group does not
preserve the selection. This is a crucial point in my opinion.
        - I feel the browser is a bit slower than before

Good job!
Cheers,
Alexandre

On 12 Jul 2009, at 18:42, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Date: July 12, 2009 6:42:00 PM CEDT
>> To: David Röthlisberger <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: feedback
>>
>> could you name it  in the menu
>>
>> OB Package Browser and not AdaptorBrowere
>>
>> Apparently I can get a space in the in the working set
>>

> <Picture 1.png>
>>

>> here is some feedback
>>
>> I would not hardcode - working set -
>> because you can have multiple ones
>> -> you have that already with group (a working set is just a group)
>> so I would not make any distinction (just stress the current one
>> may be with a star or bold).
>>
>> From a vocabulary standpoint I would use smart groups everywhere
>> (it fits the button labeling)
>>
>> I'm not sure that I would make a distinction between selected by
>> hand and recently modified.
>> there are the same: create a focus. Here is what I propose
>>
>> - the recently modified should go to the current smart group.
>> - I can select an item and move to current smart group or drag it
>> to the group I want
>> - I can select a group and mark it as current.
>> - I can delete a smart group
>> - then you have the results and this is ok (cannot be current),
>> - then when I create a new smart group I must give it a name (so
>> no --working sets --)
>>
>> Stef

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: feedback

David Röthlisberger-2

> - I feel the word Group a bit misleading. It does not say much
> actually, especially since I am intended to use it all the time.

yeah, I agree.
What about 'working set'? 'active set'? 'active pkgs'?

> - Going from Group to hierarchy, and hierarchy -> Group does not
> preserve the selection. This is a crucial point in my opinion.

ok, will fix this.

> - I feel the browser is a bit slower than before

hm. Doing what exactly is slower? Working with the package view should actually be a
bit faster now.
I'm not aware of anything that could have become slower.

Cheers,
David

> On 12 Jul 2009, at 18:42, stephane ducasse wrote:
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: July 12, 2009 6:42:00 PM CEDT
>>> To: David Röthlisberger <[hidden email]>
>>> Cc: Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: feedback
>>>
>>> could you name it  in the menu
>>>
>>> OB Package Browser and not AdaptorBrowere
>>>
>>> Apparently I can get a space in the in the working set
>>>

>> <Picture 1.png>
>>>

>>> here is some feedback
>>>
>>> I would not hardcode - working set -
>>> because you can have multiple ones
>>> -> you have that already with group (a working set is just a group)
>>> so I would not make any distinction (just stress the current one
>>> may be with a star or bold).
>>>
>>> From a vocabulary standpoint I would use smart groups everywhere
>>> (it fits the button labeling)
>>>
>>> I'm not sure that I would make a distinction between selected by
>>> hand and recently modified.
>>> there are the same: create a focus. Here is what I propose
>>>
>>> - the recently modified should go to the current smart group.
>>> - I can select an item and move to current smart group or drag it
>>> to the group I want
>>> - I can select a group and mark it as current.
>>> - I can delete a smart group
>>> - then you have the results and this is ok (cannot be current),
>>> - then when I create a new smart group I must give it a name (so
>>> no --working sets --)
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: feedback

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 14, 2009, at 1:44 PM, David Röthlisberger wrote:

>> - I feel the word Group a bit misleading. It does not say much
>> actually, especially since I am intended to use it all the time.
>
> yeah, I agree.
> What about 'working set'? 'active set'? 'active pkgs'?

not packages for sure
working set is good

>> - Going from Group to hierarchy, and hierarchy -> Group does not
>> preserve the selection. This is a crucial point in my opinion.
>
> ok, will fix this.
>
>> - I feel the browser is a bit slower than before
>
> hm. Doing what exactly is slower? Working with the package view
> should actually be a
> bit faster now.
> I'm not aware of anything that could have become slower.

Re: feedback

Alexandre Bergel
> yeah, I agree.
> What about 'working set'? 'active set'? 'active pkgs'?

'Working set' is intuitive.

>> - Going from Group to hierarchy, and hierarchy -> Group does not
>> preserve the selection. This is a crucial point in my opinion.
>
> ok, will fix this.

Let me know, I will be glad to test.

> I'm not aware of anything that could have become slower.

This is more a general feeling. I will try to be more precise.

Another thing: When I right-click on a package in the 'Packages' pane,
I have access to the command Various/Add to SmartGroup. Its effect is
to add the selected package in the 'working set'. Useful, but maybe
the name can be changed? By the way, this command is extremely slow.