Re: how to add an entry in World Menu (was: CommandShell)

Re: how to add an entry in World Menu (was: CommandShell)

laurent laffont
See http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/WorldMenuRegistration

Can someone write a little example on how to add Settings ? I need this :)

Cheers,

Laurent

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:04:37AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I've managed to make it running in Pharo (remove all isMorphic ifFalse ...
> stuff, change menu registration, a little work is needed to adapt to Pharo
> new settings system). It works (I can publish a package when back at home).
>
> Now I suppose you want to keep it running on Squeak, I don't know how to
> handle differences on world menu and preferences.
>
> For the MVC part, is there some value in keeping it ?

Hi Laurent,

Thanks, I would be very interested in seeing your changes, especially the
menu registration fixes.

For menu registration, add

CommandShell class>>#menuCommandOn: aBuilder
<worldMenu>
(aBuilder item: #'Command Shell')
parent: #Tools;
action:[self open];
help: 'Smalltalk simulation of a Unix command shell '.

and comment / remove Preferences in CommandShell class>>#initialize.

Laurent

I do want to keep this working on MVC and on other Squeak images. What
I really need to do is repackage CommandShell and OSProcess so that
everything is not all in two giant packages. I originally "packaged"
these many years ago before Squeak had real packages and Monticello,
so I basically separated things into two completely separate SAR packages
that could be independently maintained (even though CommandShell and
OSProcess were intended to work together). That was quite a project
at the time, but it is badly out of date now, so I need to go back
and make this stuff work properly with Metacello configurations.

Dave

Re: how to add an entry in World Menu (was: CommandShell)

Alain Plantec-4
Le 27/05/2010 23:02, laurent laffont a écrit :
> See http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/WorldMenuRegistration
yep!

> Can someone write a little example on how to add Settings ? I need this :)
ok, I will.
Cheers
Alain

> Cheers,
>
> Laurent
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM, laurent laffont
>
>     On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, David T. Lewis
>
>         On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:04:37AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
>         > Hi Dave,
>         >
>         > I've managed to make it running in Pharo (remove all
>         isMorphic ifFalse ...
>         > stuff, change menu registration, a little work is needed to
>         adapt to Pharo
>         > new settings system). It works (I can publish a package when
>         back at home).
>         >
>         > Now I suppose you want to keep it running on Squeak, I don't
>         know how to
>         > handle differences on world menu and preferences.
>         >
>         > For the MVC part, is there some value in keeping it ?
>
>         Hi Laurent,
>
>         Thanks, I would be very interested in seeing your changes,
>         especially the
>         menu registration fixes.
>

>     For menu registration, add
>
>     CommandShell class>>#menuCommandOn: aBuilder
>     <worldMenu>
>     (aBuilder item: #'Command Shell')
>     parent: #Tools;
>     action:[self open];
>     help: 'Smalltalk simulation of a Unix command shell '.
>
>     and comment / remove Preferences in CommandShell class>>#initialize.
>

>     Laurent
>

>         I do want to keep this working on MVC and on other Squeak
>         images. What
>         I really need to do is repackage CommandShell and OSProcess so
>         that
>         everything is not all in two giant packages. I originally
>         "packaged"
>         these many years ago before Squeak had real packages and
>         Monticello,
>         so I basically separated things into two completely separate
>         SAR packages
>         that could be independently maintained (even though
>         CommandShell and
>         OSProcess were intended to work together). That was quite a
>         project
>         at the time, but it is badly out of date now, so I need to go back
>         and make this stuff work properly with Metacello configurations.
>
>         Dave

Re: how to add an entry in World Menu (was: CommandShell)

Alain Plantec-4

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/DeclaringSetting
Alain

Le 28/05/2010 07:33, Alain Plantec a écrit :

> Le 27/05/2010 23:02, laurent laffont a écrit :
>> See
>> http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/WorldMenuRegistration
> yep!
>>
>> Can someone write a little example on how to add Settings ? I need
>> this :)
> ok, I will.
> Cheers
> Alain
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM, laurent laffont
>>
>>     On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, David T. Lewis
>>
>>         On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:04:37AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
>> > Hi Dave,
>> >
>> > I've managed to make it running in Pharo (remove all
>>         isMorphic ifFalse ...
>> > stuff, change menu registration, a little work is needed to
>>         adapt to Pharo
>> > new settings system). It works (I can publish a package when
>>         back at home).
>> >
>> > Now I suppose you want to keep it running on Squeak, I don't
>>         know how to
>> > handle differences on world menu and preferences.
>> >
>> > For the MVC part, is there some value in keeping it ?
>>
>>         Hi Laurent,
>>
>>         Thanks, I would be very interested in seeing your changes,
>>         especially the
>>         menu registration fixes.
>>

>>     For menu registration, add
>>
>>     CommandShell class>>#menuCommandOn: aBuilder
>> <worldMenu>
>>     (aBuilder item: #'Command Shell')
>>     parent: #Tools;
>>     action:[self open];
>>     help: 'Smalltalk simulation of a Unix command shell '.
>>
>>     and comment / remove Preferences in CommandShell class>>#initialize.
>>

>>     Laurent
>>

>>         I do want to keep this working on MVC and on other Squeak
>>         images. What
>>         I really need to do is repackage CommandShell and OSProcess so
>>         that
>>         everything is not all in two giant packages. I originally
>>         "packaged"
>>         these many years ago before Squeak had real packages and
>>         Monticello,
>>         so I basically separated things into two completely separate
>>         SAR packages
>>         that could be independently maintained (even though
>>         CommandShell and
>>         OSProcess were intended to work together). That was quite a
>>         project
>>         at the time, but it is badly out of date now, so I need to go
>> back
>>         and make this stuff work properly with Metacello configurations.
>>
>>         Dave

Re: how to add an entry in World Menu (was: CommandShell)

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks alain!

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/DeclaringSetting
Alain

Thanks Alain. Do you know how I can browse all methods defining systemsettings pragma ?

Cheers.

Le 30/05/2010 21:30, laurent laffont a écrit :
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     http://book.pharo-project.org/book/TipsAndTricks/DeclaringSetting
>     Alain
>
> Thanks Alain. Do you know how I can browse all methods defining
> systemsettings pragma ?
browse all senders to #systemsettings.
alternatively, open the settingBrowser and just
double click on an item to browse it or the nearest parent with
<systemsettings>
(or popup the context menu on an item and choose "browse").
Feel free to ask for more informations, It will be the occasion to
enrich this doc.
Cheers
Alain