Re: loading Amber Slime

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Chip -

I cc'd the amber list as this may be helpful for others in the future.

Amber Slime runs in Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 and I think Squeak 4.3 and 4.4.  I
have not tried it in others.  It requires you to have the
RefactoringBrowser loaded.  It then adds lint rules to the 'Code
Critics' tool the RefactoringBrowser provides.

Which Smalltalk are you trying to load it into?

You can get the 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' from the monticello
repository called 'MetacelloRepository' here:

http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository

Once you have the ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser you should be able
to run

ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser load

in a workspace to load it.

Paul

On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:

> Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load Amber Slime.
>
> This package depends on the following classes:
>   RBBlockLintRule
>   RBTransformationRule
>
> I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not knowing how to
> get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated. And I will
> keep looking around.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chip

Re: loading Amber Slime

Chip Nowacek-2
I will give it a whirl. Thanks.

I am running Squeak 4.3 #11864

On Monday, March 4, 2013 5:47:54 PM UTC-5, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
Hi Chip -

I cc'd the amber list as this may be helpful for others in the future.

Amber Slime runs in Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 and I think Squeak 4.3 and 4.4.  I
have not tried it in others.  It requires you to have the
RefactoringBrowser loaded.  It then adds lint rules to the 'Code
Critics' tool the RefactoringBrowser provides.

Which Smalltalk are you trying to load it into?

You can get the 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' from the monticello
repository called 'MetacelloRepository' here:

http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository

Once you have the ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser you should be able
to run

ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser load

in a workspace to load it.

Paul

On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:

> Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load Amber Slime.
>
> This package depends on the following classes:
>   RBBlockLintRule
>   RBTransformationRule
>
> I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not knowing how to
> get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated. And I will
> keep looking around.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chip

Re: loading Amber Slime

Paul DeBruicker
Eh I gave you bad directions.  No reason to feel stupid.  Nobody has it
all memorized.  The 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' is a Metacello
configuration.  Some of them respond #load and others do not.  I'm not
sure what the difference is between the two.

Try

ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project stableVersion load.

On 03/04/2013 04:00 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:

> I'm feeling pretty stupid. I found
> the 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' but it won't load. Any ideas?
> (see attached)
>
> On Monday, March 4, 2013 5:47:54 PM UTC-5, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
>
>     Hi Chip -
>
>     I cc'd the amber list as this may be helpful for others in the future.
>
>     Amber Slime runs in Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 and I think Squeak 4.3 and
>     4.4.  I
>     have not tried it in others.  It requires you to have the
>     RefactoringBrowser loaded.  It then adds lint rules to the 'Code
>     Critics' tool the RefactoringBrowser provides.
>

>     Which Smalltalk are you trying to load it into?
>
>     You can get the 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' from the monticello
>     repository called 'MetacelloRepository' here:
>
>     http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
>     <http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository>
>

>     Once you have the ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser you should be able
>     to run
>
>     ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser load
>
>     in a workspace to load it.
>

>     Paul
>

>     On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:
>     > Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load
>     Amber Slime.
>     >
>     > This package depends on the following classes:
>     >   RBBlockLintRule
>     >   RBTransformationRule
>     >
>     > I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not knowing
>     how to
>     > get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated. And I will
>     > keep looking around.
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     >
>     > Chip
>     >
>     >

Re: loading Amber Slime

Chip Nowacek-2
I am learning. Here's what I had to do:

ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project

then

ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project stableVersion load

Now all the Amber-Slime stuff loads. Thanks.

On Monday, March 4, 2013 7:06:04 PM UTC-5, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
Eh I gave you bad directions.  No reason to feel stupid.  Nobody has it
all memorized.  The 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' is a Metacello
configuration.  Some of them respond #load and others do not.  I'm not
sure what the difference is between the two.

Try

ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project stableVersion load.

On 03/04/2013 04:00 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:

> I'm feeling pretty stupid. I found
> the 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' but it won't load. Any ideas?
> (see attached)
>
> On Monday, March 4, 2013 5:47:54 PM UTC-5, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
>
>     Hi Chip -
>
>     I cc'd the amber list as this may be helpful for others in the future.
>
>     Amber Slime runs in Pharo 1.3 and 1.4 and I think Squeak 4.3 and
>     4.4.  I
>     have not tried it in others.  It requires you to have the
>     RefactoringBrowser loaded.  It then adds lint rules to the 'Code
>     Critics' tool the RefactoringBrowser provides.
>

>     Which Smalltalk are you trying to load it into?
>
>     You can get the 'ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser' from the monticello
>     repository called 'MetacelloRepository' here:
>
>     http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository
>     <http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository>
>

>     Once you have the ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser you should be able
>     to run
>
>     ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser load
>
>     in a workspace to load it.
>

>     Paul
>

>     On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:
>     > Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load
>     Amber Slime.
>     >
>     > This package depends on the following classes:
>     >   RBBlockLintRule
>     >   RBTransformationRule
>     >
>     > I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not knowing
>     how to
>     > get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated. And I will
>     > keep looking around.
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     >
>     > Chip
>     >
>     >

Re: loading Amber Slime

Paul DeBruicker
The only things thats troubling to me is that you continue to not ask
questions through the list.

Yes.  I don't know why I assumed the ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser
would also load OmniBrowser that it does not makes me think you should
definitely load and use the OmniBrowser.

There is a ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser in the same MetacelloRepository
where you found the ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser.

Once you have that loaded run:

ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project stableVersion load: 'Core RB'

On 03/04/2013 05:36 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     >     Paul
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:
>     >     > Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load
>     >     Amber Slime.
>     >     >
>     >     > This package depends on the following classes:
>     >     >   RBBlockLintRule
>     >     >   RBTransformationRule
>     >     >
>     >     > I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not
>     knowing
>     >     how to
>     >     > get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: loading Amber Slime

Chip Nowacek-2
Starting from a clean image, I ran the the following after setting up the repositories as directed:

(ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project version: #stable) load: 'Core RB'

(ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser project version: #stable) load

(ConfigurationOfAmberSlime project version: #stable) load

The second step seems to be unnecessary but I don't think it hurts to do it for completeness.

Everything seemed to load cleanly. I then loaded the project I want to port from SqueakMap. I reset the default browser to OmniBrowser, tried to open a browser and got the following (image attached):

MessageNotUnderstood: PluggableListSpec>>icon:

PluggableListSpec(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #icon:

OBToolBuilder>>visitList:

OBList>>acceptVisitor:

[] in OBToolBuilder>>widgetsForColumn:

BlockClosure>>ensure:

OBToolBuilder>>spec:frame:do:

OBToolBuilder>>buildWidgetsIn:

OBToolBuilder>>widgetsForColumn:

OBColumn>>widgets

PluggablePanelMorph>>update:

MorphicToolBuilder>>buildPluggablePanel:

PluggablePanelSpec>>buildWith:

[] in MorphicToolBuilder(ToolBuilder)>>buildAll:in:

OrderedCollection>>do:

MorphicToolBuilder(ToolBuilder)>>buildAll:in:

MorphicToolBuilder>>buildPluggableWindow:

PluggableWindowSpec>>buildWith:

OBToolBuilder>>visitBrowser:

OBSystemBrowser(OBBrowser)>>acceptVisitor:

OBToolBuilder(OBVisitor)>>visit:

Any clues would be appreciated. It might be easier to code up prolog myself - as if I knew how.

Thanks.

On Monday, March 4, 2013 9:59:27 PM UTC-5, Paul DeBruicker wrote:
> [...]

>     >
>     >     Paul
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:
>     >     > Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load
>     >     Amber Slime.
>     >     >
>     >     > This package depends on the following classes:
>     >     >   RBBlockLintRule
>     >     >   RBTransformationRule
>     >     >
>     >     > I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not
>     knowing
>     >     how to
>     >     > get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Screen Shot 2013-03-04 at 10.56.54 PM.png (107K) Download Attachment

Re: loading Amber Slime

Chip Nowacek-2
And I'm running on the assumption that the Refactoring Browser works from the OmniBrowser. If it doesn't, I can't find hide nor hair of it anywhere: no choice of browser, no menu, no contextual clues - nothing that I can see.

Porting is painful - and I haven't even started porting.

On Monday, March 4, 2013 11:07:20 PM UTC-5, Chip Nowacek wrote:
> [...]

>     >
>     >     Paul
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:
>     >     > Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load
>     >     Amber Slime.
>     >     >
>     >     > This package depends on the following classes:
>     >     >   RBBlockLintRule
>     >     >   RBTransformationRule
>     >     >
>     >     > I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not
>     knowing
>     >     how to
>     >     > get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: loading Amber Slime

Chip Nowacek-2
So, it appears that many people are having trouble with the OmniBrowser in 4.3 and 4.4. I skipped MetacelloRepository completely and loaded everything from SqueakMap and am testing it out. I can't say I understand yet how the AmberSlime functionality is supposed to work - not that I've refactored smalltalk before.

On Monday, March 4, 2013 11:16:43 PM UTC-5, Chip Nowacek wrote:
> [...]

>     >
>     >     Paul
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >     On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:
>     >     > Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying to load
>     >     Amber Slime.
>     >     >
>     >     > This package depends on the following classes:
>     >     >   RBBlockLintRule
>     >     >   RBTransformationRule
>     >     >
>     >     > I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not
>     knowing
>     >     how to
>     >     > get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: loading Amber Slime

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Chip,

Omnibrowser is what you want.  And its not your fault that this is a pain.

The problem you sent in the image depicts an OmniBrowser + Squeak 4.3
problem.  And really I'd guess its a problem with the
ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser rather than either Squeak or OmniBrowser that
just shows up when you try to run OmniBrowser.

You should upgrade to Squeak 4.4 [*].  If you need to, you should be
able to do what you want from 4.3.  4.4 has a year or two of bug fixes
and improvements.

In the Squeak 4.3 all-in-one at the top of the window there is an 'Apps'
drop down.  In that menu choose 'Squeak Map Catalog'.  In the top left
of the window that opens is a search box.  Search for OmniBrowser. When
it finds it click on the highest version (for 4.3 its 2.0.4) part and
click the 'Install' button.  It will load the appropriate versions of
both omnibrowser and the refactoring browser for Squeak 4.3.

Let me know how it goes.

Paul

* - Squeak 4.4 was released at the start of the year. It is not featured
on the squeak.org website.  They are developing a new website and have
not yet updated the old one.  I've asked whether and where the Squeak
4.4 all-in-one does exist and asked them to link to it from their
website.  You can get Squeak 4.4 from here
ftp://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable but from there the files you'll need
depend upon what platform you're on.  You need the image
(ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-12327.tgz) the sources
(ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/SqueakV41.sources.zip) and a vm (choose the
directory for your platform)

On 03/04/2013 08:07 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:

> [...]
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >     On 03/04/2013 02:02 PM, Chip Nowacek wrote:
>     >     >     > Sorry to bother you. I am getting an error when trying
>     to load
>     >     >     Amber Slime.
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > This package depends on the following classes:
>     >     >     >   RBBlockLintRule
>     >     >     >   RBTransformationRule
>     >     >     >
>     >     >     > I am very inexperienced with Squeak and apologize for not
>     >     knowing
>     >     >     how to
>     >     >     > get myself out of the fix. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: loading Amber Slime

Paul DeBruicker

>  I can't say I
> understand yet how the AmberSlime functionality is supposed to work -
> not that I've refactored smalltalk before.

For the packages you want to port, AmberSlime checks all the code
against the bulleted list of criteria listed here:
https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/wiki/Porting-code-from-other-Smalltalk-dialects

For those things it can fix it provides RBTransformationRules that will
rewrite the code.  For the things it can't fix it will find and show you
the methods or classes with the problems.

In OmniBrowser highlight the package you want to check in the leftmost
pane.  Right click on it and then go to the 'refactoring scope' menu
item, then choose 'Package'.  It will open a scoped browser on that
package.  Once that browser is open go to the 'refactoring' menu and run
the 'code critics' tool.  In it there will be two sets of rules for the
Amber stuff. One in the 'lint checks'  and one in the 'transformations'.
 The lint checks you have to fix yourself and the 'transformations' can
be applied and the code will be automatically rewritten.

Re: loading Amber Slime

Chip Nowacek-2
Thanks, Paul. I got the latest VM and the 4.4 image. Everything loads (from Metacello as I couldn't find it in SqueakMap) and the refactoring capacity works well. Thank you again.

Now I just have to figure out how to deal with the class variables how take the next step in the port process - whatever that is.