Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

GreggInCA
Tim and Ben,

Thanks for your help. Sorry for not being clear. When I said "I just can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac," what I should have said is "I just can't get Pharo-specific shortcuts to work on the Macintosh implementation of Pharo" (6.1 is what I'm using BTW).

Maybe I should have said "keymap shortcuts"? I'm talking about things like Meta+Shift+f for 'find class', and Meta+x, Meta+m for 'remove method'.

I've looked for what the definition of Meta is for Mac OS. All I can find is meta-click is Shift+Option+click, but that doesn't seem to work. Option + <many keys> gives "special characters" like ∂, ß, and œ.

I hope that now you can simply say, "Oh, of course, what you need to do is…". Thanks!

> I just can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac. I?ve tried a lot of stuff, more than I can list here. Here are some things I?ve tried:
>
> * searching the Pharo by Example book
> * turning off all Mac keyboard-macro programs
> * switching from extended to standard US keyboard
> * looking at options in System Preferences > Keyboard
>

> If you?re on the Mac, do you have this problem? If so, what?s your solution? Thanks!

Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Greg - meta is the Cmd key on a Mac.

So you type cmd-shift-f for reformat code in a method, cmd-s to save.

There are some chorded keys - eg cmd-b cmd-m (keep holding the cmd then press b followed by m) to browse implementers of the selected method.

On Linux the meta key is Ctrl (just an FYI)

While discussing keystrokes - a less obvious but very useful one is shift-enter to get the spotter (sort of like the Mac’s spotlight but for code)

All of this is in the help documentation - Help | Help Browser | Pharo Environment Help.

But happy to get you started, as it’s frustrating if the basics aren’t working for you.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 5 Jun 2018, at 04:50, Gregg Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim and Ben,
>
> Thanks for your help. Sorry for not being clear. When I said "I just can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac," what I should have said is "I just can't get Pharo-specific shortcuts to work on the Macintosh implementation of Pharo" (6.1 is what I'm using BTW).
>
> Maybe I should have said "keymap shortcuts"? I'm talking about things like Meta+Shift+f for 'find class', and Meta+x, Meta+m for 'remove method'.
>
> I've looked for what the definition of Meta is for Mac OS. All I can find is meta-click is Shift+Option+click, but that doesn't seem to work. Option + <many keys> gives "special characters" like ∂, ß, and œ.
>
> I hope that now you can simply say, "Oh, of course, what you need to do is…". Thanks!
>

>> I just can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac. I?ve tried a lot of stuff, more than I can list here. Here are some things I?ve tried:
>>
>> * searching the Pharo by Example book
>> * turning off all Mac keyboard-macro programs
>> * switching from extended to standard US keyboard
>> * looking at options in System Preferences > Keyboard
>>

>> If you?re on the Mac, do you have this problem? If so, what?s your solution? Thanks!

Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

GreggInCA
Tom, thanks for the detailed instructions. They help, but many of the
shortcuts listed in Help (Help window > Pharo Environment Help > Keyboard
Shortcuts > Browser Shortcuts) don't work.

cmd-b, cmd-m works as you said, but anything that begins with Meta + f
(i.e., cmd-f) brings up a Find and Replace dialog, just as you would expect
any Mac application to provide (i.e., cmd-f lets you find things). Some
shortcuts do work, while others do not.

Other examples of things not working: With a system browser active and a
class selected, Meta + t, Meta + c does *not* "show class side" (which is
what the Browser Shortcuts window says it should do).

I'm sure this is Mac-specific, with built-in Mac behavior having precedence
over any application-defined behaviors. As I said in my earliest post, I've
looked everywhere in the Mac environment for ways to turn this Mac behavior
off, with no success.

Hey, I can live without keyboard shortcuts, but I thought I'd put some
energy into seeing if it's possible to get them to work.

If no one running Pharo 6.1 on a Mac can tell anything that might help, I'll
just give it up and use menus. Everybody, thanks for your help!

=== original post ===

Tim Mackinnon wrote

> Hi Greg - meta is the Cmd key on a Mac.
>
> So you type cmd-shift-f for reformat code in a method, cmd-s to save.
>
> There are some chorded keys - eg cmd-b cmd-m (keep holding the cmd then
> press b followed by m) to browse implementers of the selected method.
>
> On Linux the meta key is Ctrl (just an FYI)
>
> While discussing keystrokes - a less obvious but very useful one is
> shift-enter to get the spotter (sort of like the Mac’s spotlight but for
> code)
>
> All of this is in the help documentation - Help | Help Browser | Pharo
> Environment Help.
>
> But happy to get you started, as it’s frustrating if the basics aren’t
> working for you.
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 5 Jun 2018, at 04:50, Gregg Williams &lt;

> gregg13@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> Tim and Ben,
>>
>> Thanks for your help. Sorry for not being clear. When I said "I just
>> can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac," what I should have said is
>> "I just can't get Pharo-specific shortcuts to work on the Macintosh
>> implementation of Pharo" (6.1 is what I'm using BTW).
>>
>> Maybe I should have said "keymap shortcuts"? I'm talking about things
>> like Meta+Shift+f for 'find class', and Meta+x, Meta+m for 'remove
>> method'.
>>
>> I've looked for what the definition of Meta is for Mac OS. All I can find
>> is meta-click is Shift+Option+click, but that doesn't seem to work.
>> Option +
> <many keys>
>  gives "special characters" like ∂, ß, and œ.
>>
>> I hope that now you can simply say, "Oh, of course, what you need to do
>> is…". Thanks!
>>

>>> I just can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac. I?ve tried a lot of
>>> stuff, more than I can list here. Here are some things I?ve tried:
>>>
>>> * searching the Pharo by Example book
>>> * turning off all Mac keyboard-macro programs
>>> * switching from extended to standard US keyboard
>>> * looking at options in System Preferences > Keyboard
>>>

>>> If you?re on the Mac, do you have this problem? If so, what?s your
>>> solution? Thanks!

Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

Paul DeBruicker
Oh.  Its not an individual

Cmd-t then Cmd-t

Its Cmd-t-c

So with a browser open on the instance side of a class press and hold the
Cmd key, then hit t then hit c

At least it works on my machine™

GreggInCA wrote

> [...]
>>> can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac," what I should have said is
>>> "I just can't get Pharo-specific shortcuts to work on the Macintosh
>>> implementation of Pharo" (6.1 is what I'm using BTW).
>>>
>>> Maybe I should have said "keymap shortcuts"? I'm talking about things
>>> like Meta+Shift+f for 'find class', and Meta+x, Meta+m for 'remove
>>> method'.
>>>
>>> I've looked for what the definition of Meta is for Mac OS. All I can
>>> find
>>> is meta-click is Shift+Option+click, but that doesn't seem to work.
>>> Option +
>>
> <many keys>
>>  gives "special characters" like ∂, ß, and œ.
>>>
>>> I hope that now you can simply say, "Oh, of course, what you need to do
>>> is…". Thanks!

Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

oh and a typo.  Which should have been:

not Cmd-t then Cmd-c

but

Cmd-t-c

Paul DeBruicker wrote

> Oh.  Its not an individual
>
> Cmd-t then Cmd-t
>
> Its Cmd-t-c
>
> So with a browser open on the instance side of a class press and hold the
> Cmd key, then hit t then hit c
>
> At least it works on my machine™
>

> GreggInCA wrote
>> Tom, thanks for the detailed instructions. They help, but many of the
>> shortcuts listed in Help (Help window > Pharo Environment Help > Keyboard
>> Shortcuts > Browser Shortcuts) don't work.
>>
>> cmd-b, cmd-m works as you said, but anything that begins with Meta + f
>> (i.e., cmd-f) brings up a Find and Replace dialog, just as you would
>> expect
>> any Mac application to provide (i.e., cmd-f lets you find things). Some
>> shortcuts do work, while others do not.
>>
>> Other examples of things not working: With a system browser active and a
>> class selected, Meta + t, Meta + c does *not* "show class side" (which is
>> what the Browser Shortcuts window says it should do).
>>
>> I'm sure this is Mac-specific, with built-in Mac behavior having
>> precedence
>> over any application-defined behaviors. As I said in my earliest post,
>> I've
>> looked everywhere in the Mac environment for ways to turn this Mac
>> behavior
>> off, with no success.
>>
>> Hey, I can live without keyboard shortcuts, but I thought I'd put some
>> energy into seeing if it's possible to get them to work.
>>
>> If no one running Pharo 6.1 on a Mac can tell anything that might help,
>> I'll
>> just give it up and use menus. Everybody, thanks for your help!
>>
>> === original post ===
>>

>> Tim Mackinnon wrote
>>> Hi Greg - meta is the Cmd key on a Mac.
>>>
>>> So you type cmd-shift-f for reformat code in a method, cmd-s to save.
>>>
>>> There are some chorded keys - eg cmd-b cmd-m (keep holding the cmd then
>>> press b followed by m) to browse implementers of the selected method.
>>>
>>> On Linux the meta key is Ctrl (just an FYI)
>>>
>>> While discussing keystrokes - a less obvious but very useful one is
>>> shift-enter to get the spotter (sort of like the Mac’s spotlight but for
>>> code)
>>>
>>> All of this is in the help documentation - Help | Help Browser | Pharo
>>> Environment Help.
>>>
>>> But happy to get you started, as it’s frustrating if the basics aren’t
>>> working for you.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> gregg13@

> <many keys>
>>>  gives "special characters" like ∂, ß, and œ.

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

Tim Mackinnon
Yes they all work for me too - so we ‘re a bit confused by what your reporting Greg, as they should all work on a Mac.

I’m sure we can help you get to the bottom of it.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 7 Jun 2018, at 06:39, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> oh and a typo.  Which should have been:
>
> not Cmd-t then Cmd-c
>
> but
>
> Cmd-t-c
>

> Paul DeBruicker wrote
>> Oh.  Its not an individual
>>
>> Cmd-t then Cmd-t
>>
>> Its Cmd-t-c
>>
>> So with a browser open on the instance side of a class press and hold the
>> Cmd key, then hit t then hit c
>>
>> At least it works on my machine™
>>

>> GreggInCA wrote
>>> Tom, thanks for the detailed instructions. They help, but many of the
>>> shortcuts listed in Help (Help window > Pharo Environment Help > Keyboard
>>> Shortcuts > Browser Shortcuts) don't work.
>>>
>>> cmd-b, cmd-m works as you said, but anything that begins with Meta + f
>>> (i.e., cmd-f) brings up a Find and Replace dialog, just as you would
>>> expect
>>> any Mac application to provide (i.e., cmd-f lets you find things). Some
>>> shortcuts do work, while others do not.
>>>
>>> Other examples of things not working: With a system browser active and a
>>> class selected, Meta + t, Meta + c does *not* "show class side" (which is
>>> what the Browser Shortcuts window says it should do).
>>>
>>> I'm sure this is Mac-specific, with built-in Mac behavior having
>>> precedence
>>> over any application-defined behaviors. As I said in my earliest post,
>>> I've
>>> looked everywhere in the Mac environment for ways to turn this Mac
>>> behavior
>>> off, with no success.
>>>
>>> Hey, I can live without keyboard shortcuts, but I thought I'd put some
>>> energy into seeing if it's possible to get them to work.
>>>
>>> If no one running Pharo 6.1 on a Mac can tell anything that might help,
>>> I'll
>>> just give it up and use menus. Everybody, thanks for your help!
>>>
>>> === original post ===
>>>

>>> Tim Mackinnon wrote

>> <many keys>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html

Re: more on "can't get keyboard shortcuts to work on Mac"

GreggInCA
Paul and Tim. Nope, still doesn't work. It might be some hacker-level
customization I've forgotten about.

Anyway, it's not worth my time or yours to track this down. Thanks for all
your help.