Re: smalltalk, objects and design - chamond liu

Re: smalltalk, objects and design - chamond liu

nacho
It's a very good introductory book for Smalltalk in general but it is not focused on Pharo but in IBM's Smalltalk. It has a good treatment of OOP, and the basic classes. But if you want to learn about specific Pharo frameworks and APIs it wont help you that much.
cheers
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA
Prosavic SRL

Tel: (011) 4542-6714

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello,

would the book; smalltalk, objects and design by chamond liu be
considered good to work through using "pharo"?

i am currently working through; squeak, a quick trip to object-land.
while nice as an introduction, doesn't feel like it might be deep enough
for me as i progress further.

i am looking at the pharo books, but, a previous discussion mentioned
something about newer versions being in the works, would prefer to wait
for them.

~mayuresh

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: smalltalk, objects and design - chamond liu

Sebastian Heidbrink-2
Definitely a good book!

You might also consider these, too:

for the couch, or desk while waiting:
http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/WithStyle/SmalltalkWithStyle.pdf

a must
http://www.amazon.ca/The-Design-Patterns-Smalltalk-Companion/dp/0201184621

Sebastian

On 2015-01-25 1:37 PM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> hello,
>
> would the book; smalltalk, objects and design by chamond liu be
> considered good to work through using "pharo"?
>
> i am currently working through; squeak, a quick trip to object-land.
> while nice as an introduction, doesn't feel like it might be deep enough
> for me as i progress further.
>
> i am looking at the pharo books, but, a previous discussion mentioned
> something about newer versions being in the works, would prefer to wait
> for them.
>
> ~mayuresh

Re: smalltalk, objects and design - chamond liu

Sebastian Heidbrink-2
no!

On 2015-01-25 7:48 PM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> thanks. a question; would the second book require me to work through the
> original book on design patterns first?
>
> ~mayuresh
>
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 06:06:31PM -0800, Sebastian Heidbrink wrote:
>> Definitely a good book!
>>
>> You might also consider these, too:
>>
>> for the couch, or desk while waiting:
>> http://sdmeta.gforge.inria.fr/FreeBooks/WithStyle/SmalltalkWithStyle.pdf
>>
>> a must
>> http://www.amazon.ca/The-Design-Patterns-Smalltalk-Companion/dp/0201184621
>>
>> Sebastian
>>

>> On 2015-01-25 1:37 PM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> would the book; smalltalk, objects and design by chamond liu be
>>> considered good to work through using "pharo"?
>>>
>>> i am currently working through; squeak, a quick trip to object-land.
>>> while nice as an introduction, doesn't feel like it might be deep enough
>>> for me as i progress further.
>>>
>>> i am looking at the pharo books, but, a previous discussion mentioned
>>> something about newer versions being in the works, would prefer to wait
>>> for them.
>>>
>>> ~mayuresh

Re: smalltalk, objects and design - chamond liu

jtuchel

Am 26.01.2015 04:48 schrieb Mayuresh Kathe <[hidden email]>:

> thanks. a question; would the second book require me to work through the
> original book on design patterns first?

No, you will able to understand the Smalltalk companion without the pattern bible.

Chamond Liu is definitely a good book!

Joachim