Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Hannes Hirzel
On 2/7/13, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 09:10:25AM -0300, Juan Vuletich (mail lists) wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Quoting Martin Kuball <[hidden email]>:

>> >I tried cuis 4.1 but was not able to get it to work. I used the
>> >latest vm from debian unstable: 4.10.2.2614-1_amd64. When I open the
>> >image everything seems to be fine. Altough I'm not sure if the
>> >background is supposed to be black? But when I move windows arround
>> >or open popups the screen is not redrawn and it gets cluttered with
>> >parts of the windows and the popups (see attached image). Any idea
>> >what's causing this? The squeak images work just fine.
>> >
>> >Martin
>> >

>> The problems you see are due to bugs in BitBlt that I fixed about 2
>> years ago. You need a newer VM.
>>
>> As we recommend at http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html , use the
>> latest Cog VM for your platform if possible. Right now, that would be
>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2678/coglinux.tgz . If
>> that doesn't fit your system, you need to find a relatively recent VM
>> with the fixed BitBlt.
>>
>> Maybe someone can give more specific advice, as I'm not a Linuxer...
>>

> Squeak VMs are at http://squeakvm.org/index.html, which has links to
> download the standard interpreter VM at http://squeakvm.org/unix/ and
> Cog VM at http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/. Cuis will work
> with any of these VMs.
>
> I'm not sure who is maintaining the Debian distribution, but apparently
> it is broken.

Maybe Martin Kuball just needs to use the latest Cuis version (minor version).

    https://github.com/jvuletich

Juan indeed did some fixes this January regarding artifacts remaining
on the display.  The updates are available on github (including
ready-made images).

   https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/tree/master/Cuis4WithLatestUpdates

and in particular

    https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/Cuis4WithLatestUpdates/Cuis4.1-1576.zip

That might be enough to bring Cuis4.1 into action on Debian. As Germán
Arduino just noted  it works fine for him on Lubuntu.

Regards
--Hannes

> Dave

Re: [squeak-dev] [Ann] Cuis 4.1 is released

Hannes Hirzel
Forward to Cuis mailing list