Re: [squeak-dev] Monticello HTTPS

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi folks. I think this guy has a point here. Does someone have an answer ?

I'm curious as to how a company would protect it's source using Smalltalk when the developers are not all set up to dial in via e.g. VPN. Maybe somebody could give me a hint as to how a company would realize a secure distributed development repository? Or is Monticello not the right choice in this case?

Many regards,

Ole.

Re: [squeak-dev] Monticello HTTPS

Lukas Renggli
The problem is that Pharo cannot do HTTPS requests out of the box.

That could be changed if the Curl plugin would be included with the VM
distribution. We the Curl plugin we could transparently do HTTP,
HTTPS, FTP, FTPS and other requests that would properly work and that
would obsolete the ugly HTTPSocket code. As far as I know there are
patches for Monticello to use the Curl plugin.

For now, most people use VPN or SSH tunnels to access their source.

Lukas

2010/1/30 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Hi folks. I think this guy has a point here. Does someone have an answer ?
>

>> I'm curious as to how a company would protect it's source using Smalltalk
>> when the developers are not all set up to dial in via e.g. VPN. Maybe
>> somebody could give me a hint as to how a company would realize a secure
>> distributed development repository? Or is Monticello not the right choice in
>> this case?
>>
>> Many regards,
>>
>> Ole.

Lukas Renggli