Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Ron Teitelbaum

HI all,

Thank you all for stepping up to run for the board.

We now have 6 candidates for 7 board seats.   (in the order of announcement)

Craig Latta
Tim Rowledge
Marcel Taeumel
Bert Freudenberg
David T. Lewis
Ben Coman

Squeak still needs you.  You can help by running for the board or by getting someone you know that is active in the Squeak community to run!  Now is the time to reach out and get others to run!

Don't forget to vote!  The ballots will be coming out next week.  When you see the ballot please vote right away!  Don't leave it for later.  You will have 2 weeks to vote so that we don't miss anyone but please look for the email and vote as quickly as possible.  If you are not on the voter list now is the time to register.  Let me know and I'll add you to the list.  Also if you have a new email address let me know so we can fix it before voting starts.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:23 AM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 00:24, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again.

After years of watching, this year I signed up to vote for the first time!
A personal development program I'm involved in made me realize I've been keeping myself on the sidelines
since the election normally takes care of itself - but my complacency disconnects me from my community.

So I signed up. I would encourage anyone else lurking to also do so.  It really didn't hurt.

And then someone encouraged me to nominate.

My first thought was "no, I'm more involved with Pharo".
Then after consideration I realized who I am is someone concerned with the continuation of Squeak
and with a foot in both camps I may have something of value to offer the Squeak community.

While the two dialects are diverging significantly at the UI level, my interests lie
at the lower levels where there doesn't "necessarily" need to a lot of differences.
Notwithstanding opposing design decisions, the natural enemy is isolation.

So should the Squeak community see value in it, I would:
      * quantify the low level Squeak/Pharo differences referenced against Pharo's headless build
      * promote low level homogenization of dialects (and I'll be glad to learn something new from any dissent around design decisions)
      * promote a headless version of Squeak to run on the same minheadless VM that Pharo is targetting
      * work to reduce dialect specific IFDEFS in the vm code

I offer my candidacy for the 2019 Squeak Oversight Board on that platform.
If you see the possibility of that benefiting Squeak, please let your opinion
be known by voting, particularly if you've not voted before.

cheers -ben

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Chris Muller-3

I would like to serve on the 2019 board.  This year I intend to
upgrade the old SqueakMap server to a GraphQL service hosted on a
modern Squeak image.  GraphQL is a protocol standard for interacting
with object models in a very powerful way.

Over the years this community has been a great example of how groups
can make better decisions than individuals.  Again and again, I've
witnessed it manage to find and assemble the best integration of ideas
distributed in our minds into a best-balanced solution.  IMO, these
deliberations and our processes are why Squeak 5.2 has become the best
Dynabook it could be so far.  So far...  :)

I'm excited about the implications of GraphQL and its potential to
greatly elevate access to Squeak, and Squeak-based apps, on devices
and interface-styles users are comfortable with.  If elected, the
opportunity to interact with Craig and the other board members will be
invaluable for guidance, advice and ideas.

A good year, beginning now!

 - Chris

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 12:09 PM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Notwithstanding opposing design decisions, the natural enemy is isolation.
>>>
>>> So should the Squeak community see value in it, I would:
>>>       * quantify the low level Squeak/Pharo differences referenced against Pharo's headless build
>>>       * promote low level homogenization of dialects (and I'll be glad to learn something new from any dissent around design decisions)
>>>       * promote a headless version of Squeak to run on the same minheadless VM that Pharo is targetting
>>>       * work to reduce dialect specific IFDEFS in the vm code
>>>
>>> I offer my candidacy for the 2019 Squeak Oversight Board on that platform.
>>> If you see the possibility of that benefiting Squeak, please let your opinion
>>> be known by voting, particularly if you've not voted before.
>>>
>>> cheers -ben

Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

We now have 8 candidates for 7 seats on the Squeak Oversight Board!

Thank you to everyone that is running!

Craig Latta
Tim Rowledge
Marcel Taeumel
Bert Freudenberg
David T. Lewis
Ben Coman
Chris Muller
John-Reed Maffeo

It is not too late to add your name to the list of candidates please consider running (but do it quick voting starts tomorrow!)

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 4:43 PM John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
As a long time Squeaker  (since 1.x on a Macintosh) and an occasional contributor (two methods in 18 years ;-), I offer my services to the community as a member of the Squeak Oversight Board.

Since I don't have a very high profile in the community, I offer this brief, biased, bio.

My Professional background is in Corporate IT designing, building, implementing, and managing technical and business applications as an individual contributor, team member, and manager. I am pretty much self-taught after one COBOL for Accountants class at Uni followed by OJT working on a smorgasbord of computers and languages from embedded to mainframe to distributed (as a programmer, not an accountant (right place, right time)).

The first program I ever modified in a work environment was in machine code on a Wang. I have dabbled in assembler but did not have the patience to do much with it. I started working with Squeak on a hobby project that I had started trying to code in C, then Pascal, both of which were painful). When I read about a Smalltalk being released on usenet, I jumped at the chance to try it because I had seen a PP vendor demonstration a few years earlier and was gobsmacked at its capabilities, which fit into all of the various niches which I had been working in but was rejected by the suits in favor of Forte (what's that you say? JAVA in a fancy dress).

Squeak, with information I was able to learn in the library and on the net,  enabled me to write an application using GIS data from an arcane data structure, but Morphic stymied me in my attempts to complete the graphic part of my design (as much my fault as not). I have written some other applications for my personal use and continue to learn more about Squeak and the ever growing constellation of software which is derived or influenced by it.

If the Squeak community decides to elect me to the SOB, I will do my best to help Squeak grow and thrive as a language and culture which fosters learning, creativity, experimentation, and openness.

Regards,

John-Reed Maffeo [|]

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 9:24 AM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe it's been a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven members from our community. The current board members are:

1. Bert Freudenberg
2. Eliot Miranda
3. Tim Rowledge
4. David T. Lewis
5. Marcel Taeumel
6. Craig Latta
7. Nicolas Cellier

For more info on the board please see:

Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked
here:
               http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6612

Now until Monday 21nd of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!

Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she intends to run.

During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask questions.

I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run. Some people will not run without encouragement.  Also, I know that some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster start and just jump right in!

Schedule:

Now until Monday 21nd of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Monday 21nd of January 2019 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Candidate list is finalized.
Monday 21nd of January 2019 4 PM (21.00 UTC): Online election starts.
Tuesday 5th of February 2019 4 PM (23.00 UTC): Online election ends.
Results will be announced immediately when the election ends.
The voting period is two week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started. You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 21st of January 2019 or you will NOT be able to vote. If your Email has changed please try to make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election starts.

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote you should do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me a name and email for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum