Re: [squeak-dev] World menu OCompletion-like algorithm

Re: [squeak-dev] World menu OCompletion-like algorithm

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Sean. I wanted that too. I remember it was one of the things I missed more as I come from Eclipse world. There I used to have ctrl + F7 or similar.

There is something similar in Squeak/Pharo. Open a couple of windows (browser, workspace, transcript, test runnerr, etc) and then, in the world, do a "shift + click" ... It would be great to have a short cut for that

cheers

mariano

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Could the logic of OCompletion - that you're most likely looking for one of
the last three things you looked for - be applied to the world menu?  That
is - put the last three selections at the top?

Sean

Re: [squeak-dev] World menu OCompletion-like algorithm

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Open a couple of windows
(browser, workspace, transcript, test runnerr, etc) and then, in the world,
do a "shift + click"
Cool feature, thanks.

And, it seems that it shows a list of currently open windows, which is different from 'the last three types of objects that I dealt with.'

Use case (contrived):
I'm working in a sub-flow that requires me to constantly open a Transcript window - say I'm manually testing (I know, disgusting, lol) code that closes any open Transcript windows.  So I want to reopen Transcript widnows via the world menu over and over between tests.  The 'all open windows menu' doesn't help, but having Transcript pinned temporarily at the top of the world menu would be very convenient.

Btw of course I realize there are ways to do this (e.g. dragging the Transcript menu item out of the menu onto the desktop), but having the top three dynamically, automatically updated is what I'm toying with.

- Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [squeak-dev] World menu OCompletion-like algorithm

Romain Robbes-2
A useful trick is that you can type in menus to select items. That's not the same, but still might help.

        Romain

On Apr 25, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> Open a couple of windows
>> (browser, workspace, transcript, test runnerr, etc) and then, in the
>> world,
>> do a "shift + click"
>>

> Cool feature, thanks.
>
> And, it seems that it shows a list of currently open windows, which is
> different from 'the last three types of objects that I dealt with.'
>
> Use case (contrived):
> I'm working in a sub-flow that requires me to constantly open a Transcript
> window - say I'm manually testing (I know, disgusting, lol) code that closes
> any open Transcript windows.  So I want to reopen Transcript widnows via the
> world menu over and over between tests.  The 'all open windows menu' doesn't
> help, but having Transcript pinned temporarily at the top of the world menu
> would be very convenient.
>
> Btw of course I realize there are ways to do this (e.g. dragging the
> Transcript menu item out of the menu onto the desktop), but having the top
> three dynamically, automatically updated is what I'm toying with.
>
> - Sean

Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Re: [squeak-dev] World menu OCompletion-like algorithm

Mariano Martinez Peck
Romain, now I remember...isn't WorkingSet something similar to what he wants ?

Sean, you can test it. Read:  http://forum.world.st/ANN-WorkingSet-td1296111.html#a1296111

Cheers

Mariano

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Romain Robbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
A useful trick is that you can type in menus to select items. That's not the same, but still might help.

       Romain

On Apr 25, 2010, at 4:41 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> Open a couple of windows
>> (browser, workspace, transcript, test runnerr, etc) and then, in the
>> world,
>> do a "shift + click"
>>

> Cool feature, thanks.
>
> And, it seems that it shows a list of currently open windows, which is
> different from 'the last three types of objects that I dealt with.'
>
> Use case (contrived):
> I'm working in a sub-flow that requires me to constantly open a Transcript
> window - say I'm manually testing (I know, disgusting, lol) code that closes
> any open Transcript windows.  So I want to reopen Transcript widnows via the
> world menu over and over between tests.  The 'all open windows menu' doesn't
> help, but having Transcript pinned temporarily at the top of the world menu
> would be very convenient.
>
> Btw of course I realize there are ways to do this (e.g. dragging the
> Transcript menu item out of the menu onto the desktop), but having the top
> three dynamically, automatically updated is what I'm toying with.
>
> - Sean

Romain Robbes
http://romain.robb.es

Re: [squeak-dev] World menu OCompletion-like algorithm

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
isn't WorkingSet something similar
WorkingSet looks way cool!  It does for the browser what I was suggesting we do for the world menu.  I will code something up for everyone to play with.  Stand by...

Sean
Cheers,
Sean