Re: [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

Re: [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

Casey Ransberger-2
Below

On Sep 4, 2013, at 6:35 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what the deal here is. It's native OS fonts, I think, and also something that hasn't come up to my recollection since Juan gave us a much-nicer-than-we-had (anti-aliased) font from Cuis.
>
> I didn't really follow recent changes to Cuis, but AFAIK it only supports byte characters, so those fonts only contain some latin characters (Latin-9 maybe).
>

> Levente

I believe this is correct, though someone (Ken Dickey maybe?) has been working on a simplified Unicode implementation for Cuis.

CC Cuis list.

Re: [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

Hannes Hirzel
On 9/5/13, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Below
>
> On Sep 4, 2013, at 6:35 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure what the deal here is. It's native OS fonts, I think, and
>>> also something that hasn't come up to my recollection since Juan gave us
>>> a much-nicer-than-we-had (anti-aliased) font from Cuis.
>>
>> I didn't really follow recent changes to Cuis, but AFAIK it only supports
>> byte characters, so those fonts only contain some latin characters
>> (Latin-9 maybe).
>>

>> Levente
>
> I believe this is correct, though someone (Ken Dickey maybe?) has been
> working on a simplified Unicode implementation for Cuis.
>
> CC Cuis list.

Ken works on an Unicode - add-on to Cuis. [1] He has a working
prototype at this stage.

Cuis 4.2 [2] runs on 8 bit characters (ISO Latin 9 - ISO 8859-15) but
it can read and write UTF8 files. For any Unicode chars not in ISO
Latin 9 (ISO 8859-15), embed an NCR.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeric_character_reference"

[1] https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
[2] https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev

Re: [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

Hannes Hirzel
P.S.

https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode

is separate from the Core-Cuis in terms of Unicode support. If you
load the package you have two character classes.

On 9/5/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/5/13, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Below

>>> I didn't really follow recent changes to Cuis, but AFAIK it only
>>> supports
>>> byte characters, so those fonts only contain some latin characters
>>> (Latin-9 maybe).
>>>

>>> Levente
>>
>> I believe this is correct, though someone (Ken Dickey maybe?) has been
>> working on a simplified Unicode implementation for Cuis.
>>
>> CC Cuis list.
>
> Ken works on an Unicode - add-on to Cuis. [1] He has a working
> prototype at this stage.
>

> Cuis 4.2 [2] runs on 8 bit characters (ISO Latin 9 - ISO 8859-15) but
> it can read and write UTF8 files. For any Unicode chars not in ISO
> Latin 9 (ISO 8859-15), embed an NCR.
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeric_character_reference"
>
> [1] https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
> [2] https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev

Re: [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

KenDickey
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:38:32 -0700
Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe this is correct, though someone (Ken Dickey maybe?) has been working on a simplified Unicode implementation for Cuis.

Hi.  I'm not sure what the context is here.

I wrote a package which adds rudimentary/basic support for Unicode.  (I have a hard time using "simplified" and "Unicode" in the same sentence).

Basically, you can read and write utf-8 files and do simple cut/copy/paste editing.  Display uses a simple bitmap font, but with good coverage of most useful code points.

You can make a cursor from a dingbat or edit a web page.   Let me know if I can help with anything.

From the Git README.md at:

https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode

================================

Status

Incomplete

    Simple edit of Unicode files with copy/cut and paste.
    NO font support (uses simple 'forms' from GNU UniFont).
    Currently, there is NO grapheme composition. Unicode code points are displayed, including 'combining marks'.
    Tested with Cuis 4.2

Introduction/Overview

Unicode is a complex system and strategy for computer manipulation of character and string information for human language.

The code presented here has very limited ambitions:

    Properly read and write Unicode data to/from disk.
    Allow programmatic (code) manipulation of Unicode code points.
    Implement reasonable sorting, searching, and other manipulation of code points.

The support of Unicode text display is minimal. Fonts are not yet supported. Bitmap glyphs (16 x 16 forms) are from http://www.unifoundry.com/unifont.html

-KenD

Re: [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Ken for doing this.

I really need to find some time to play with and understand this. Same
for Ropes. Both are great projects.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 9/5/2013 11:38 AM, Ken Dickey wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:38:32 -0700
> Casey Ransberger<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I believe this is correct, though someone (Ken Dickey maybe?) has been working on a simplified Unicode implementation for Cuis.
> Hi.  I'm not sure what the context is here.
>
> I wrote a package which adds rudimentary/basic support for Unicode.  (I have a hard time using "simplified" and "Unicode" in the same sentence).
>
> Basically, you can read and write utf-8 files and do simple cut/copy/paste editing.  Display uses a simple bitmap font, but with good coverage of most useful code points.
>
> You can make a cursor from a dingbat or edit a web page.   Let me know if I can help with anything.
>

> > From the Git README.md at:
>
> https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode
>
> ================================
>
> Status
>
> Incomplete
>
>      Simple edit of Unicode files with copy/cut and paste.
>      NO font support (uses simple 'forms' from GNU UniFont).
>      Currently, there is NO grapheme composition. Unicode code points are displayed, including 'combining marks'.
>      Tested with Cuis 4.2
>
> Introduction/Overview
>
> Unicode is a complex system and strategy for computer manipulation of character and string information for human language.
>
> The code presented here has very limited ambitions:
>
>      Properly read and write Unicode data to/from disk.
>      Allow programmatic (code) manipulation of Unicode code points.
>      Implement reasonable sorting, searching, and other manipulation of code points.
>
> The support of Unicode text display is minimal. Fonts are not yet supported. Bitmap glyphs (16 x 16 forms) are from http://www.unifoundry.com/unifont.html

Re: [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

KenDickey
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:10:05 -0300
Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Ken for doing this.
>
> I really need to find some time to play with and understand this. Same
> for Ropes. Both are great projects.

No worries.

I should look at why the VM does not support both indexed and named iVars -- SmalltalkAgents did.

The Ropes code would be much smaller if one could subclass String and override #at: and #at:put: .

Lack of time IS the problem.

Thanks for taking the time !!!

On another front, I have been looking at the Morphic Designer code.  Took a quick look at the Signals implementation.  Wow! What a HUGE amount of code/mechanism.  Clearly ported from C++.   8^(

Anyway, back to experiments.  Thinking of GUI building is getting me to read more of the system code -- good for my education!

Cheers,
-KenD
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com