Re: [squeakland] Time to Vote!

Jeremy L.
I'm abstaining from voting because I have no idea who anyone on the list is aside from Bert off the top of my head.  I'm also not even sure how to or where to vote nor am I sure of eligibility in the first place.  That said, even if someone said to me, 'no it's okay, you can vote', it still wouldn't mitigate the fact that I'd be voting purely from a perspective of familiarity which would in turn undermine the legitimacy of voting at all.

I'm only responding because of the incredible push for voting in this election I keep seeing above and beyond regular Smalltalk-related posts.  I suppose that happens in any election season though!  :)

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:06 AM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Not sure if I've mentioned this but IT"S TIME TO VOTE!

You may be asking why is Ron pushing so hard for people to vote?

We are on track to have our lowest vote count ever.  The number of voters is going down year to year but the drop this year is significant.  I'm sure we can do better!

Please let me know if you have trouble finding your ballot.  I can resend it to you.

Thanks!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: [squeakland] Time to Vote!

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
On 02/03/2018 01:02 AM, Jeremy Landry wrote:
> I'm abstaining from voting because I have no idea who anyone on the
> list is aside from Bert off the top of my head.

That's fair enough.

One of the lovely things about the voting method this community uses is
that you are able to mark candidates with "don't care".

So for example, if Bert was the only person you were familiar with, and
you also actively wanted to vote for him, you would rank Bert number 1
on your ballot, and then rank everyone else as "second equal".

This gives a signal that you favour Bert being on the board and
otherwise don't care about its composition.

> I'm also not even sure how to or where to vote nor am I sure of
> eligibility in the first place.

For me, there was a link to my ballot in the automated email I received.

Regards,
  Tony

Re: [squeakland] Time to Vote!

David T. Lewis
Hi Jeremy,

If you do choose to vote, it will still be appreciated even if you vote
neutral on most of the candidates. When you vote, it shows that you are
out there and it shows that you care :-)

Dave

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 05:02:38PM -0800, Jeremy Landry wrote:

> I'm abstaining from voting because I have no idea who anyone on the list is
> aside from Bert off the top of my head.  I'm also not even sure how to or
> where to vote nor am I sure of eligibility in the first place.  That said,
> even if someone said to me, 'no it's okay, you can vote', it still wouldn't
> mitigate the fact that I'd be voting purely from a perspective of
> familiarity which would in turn undermine the legitimacy of voting at all.
>
> I'm only responding because of the incredible push for voting in this
> election I keep seeing above and beyond regular Smalltalk-related posts.  I
> suppose that happens in any election season though!  :)
>
> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 5:06 AM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Not sure if I've mentioned this but IT"S TIME TO VOTE!
> >
> > You may be asking why is Ron pushing so hard for people to vote?
> >
> > We are on track to have our lowest vote count ever.  The number of voters
> > is going down year to year but the drop this year is significant.  I'm sure
> > we can do better!
> >
> > Please let me know if you have trouble finding your ballot.  I can resend
> > it to you.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > Ron Teitelbaum

Re: [squeakland] Time to Vote!

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Jeremy,

I am sorry about all the election email.  Please let me know if you would like to vote I will add you for next year.

The candidates this year did a nice job of telling the community why they are running.  Those can be helpful when deciding who to vote for.

All the best,

Ron

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:02 PM, Jeremy Landry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi All,

    Jeremy's thoughtful message below prompts me to suggest that we add two pages to Squeak.org, one for the election and another for members of the community to add mini bios with optional links to more extensive information, similar to the Pharo contributors list at https://pharo.org/about.

In fact, given that we have http://squeak.org/board/, why don't we have two versions, one for normal and one for the election period?  We could add arguments for voting to persuade people like Jeremy that voting can be done for arbitrary reasons, as in any election, and that voting turnout is used to estimate active community size, and so we'd much rather have an ill informed or irrational vote than no vote at all :-)

_,,,^..^,,,_ (phone)

On Feb 2, 2018, at 5:02 PM, Jeremy Landry <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

timrowledge

> On 03-02-2018, at 7:32 AM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you do choose to vote, it will still be appreciated even if you vote
> neutral on most of the candidates. When you vote, it shows that you are
> out there and it shows that you care :-)

Exactly the point I wanted to make earlier. It’s nice to have some indication that the work one does is actually of value to others.

tim
Strange OpCodes: VDP: Violate Design Parameters

Squeak People (was: Time to Vote!)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Eliot,

>     Jeremy's thoughtful message below prompts me to suggest
> that we add two pages to Squeak.org, one for the election and
> another for members of the community to add mini bios with
> optional links to more extensive information, similar to the Pharo
> contributors list at https://pharo.org/about.

Squeak information has always been divided among different sites, like
squeak.org, the swiki, squeaksource, the bug system, squeak news and
there was one called Squeak People. The last one had mini bios (though
the swiki does too) and a blog. It also implemented a "trust" system
with the idea of using this to control the project after "Squeak
Central" had gone away and before the Squeak Oversight Board was
created.

Eventually the site went away and though there was an overlap with what
we still have I think it has left a major hole in our community
resources.

-- Jecel

Re: Squeak People (was: Time to Vote!)

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 06:01:22PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:

> Eliot,
>
> > ?? ?? Jeremy's thoughtful message below prompts me to suggest
> > that we add two pages to Squeak.org, one for the election and
> > another for members of the community to add mini bios with
> > optional links to more extensive information, similar to the Pharo
> > contributors list at??https://pharo.org/about.
>
> Squeak information has always been divided among different sites, like
> squeak.org, the swiki, squeaksource, the bug system, squeak news and
> there was one called Squeak People. The last one had mini bios (though
> the swiki does too) and a blog. It also implemented a "trust" system
> with the idea of using this to control the project after "Squeak
> Central" had gone away and before the Squeak Oversight Board was
> created.
>
> Eventually the site went away and though there was an overlap with what
> we still have I think it has left a major hole in our community
> resources.
>
> -- Jecel

I had forgotten about "Squeak people" but here is the link to a
swiki page about it:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/8

This is page number 8 on the swiki, so it must be of fairly ancient
provenance. IIRC there was also an actual web site for "squeak people"
but I do not remember any details.

For me it is interesting to follow a few of the links on this swiki page.
There is a listing of "Who's Where" that shows three people in Michigan,
USA. I am one of the three, but I have never met the other two, both
of whom apparently lived in the city of Ann Arbor at the time of the
"Squeak people" listings. I now live in Ann Arbor myself, but I still
have never met or spoken with any other Squeakers aside from other
members of the Squeak oversight board who I now know from our video
conference board meetings.

Dave

Re: Squeak People (was: Time to Vote!)

Nicolas Cellier

On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 06:01:22PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
> Eliot,
>
> > ?? ?? Jeremy's thoughtful message below prompts me to suggest
> > that we add two pages to Squeak.org, one for the election and
> > another for members of the community to add mini bios with
> > optional links to more extensive information, similar to the Pharo
> > contributors list at??https://pharo.org/about.
>
> Squeak information has always been divided among different sites, like
> squeak.org, the swiki, squeaksource, the bug system, squeak news and
> there was one called Squeak People. The last one had mini bios (though
> the swiki does too) and a blog. It also implemented a "trust" system
> with the idea of using this to control the project after "Squeak
> Central" had gone away and before the Squeak Oversight Board was
> created.
>
> Eventually the site went away and though there was an overlap with what
> we still have I think it has left a major hole in our community
> resources.
>
> -- Jecel

I had forgotten about "Squeak people" but here is the link to a
swiki page about it:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/8

This is page number 8 on the swiki, so it must be of fairly ancient
provenance. IIRC there was also an actual web site for "squeak people"
but I do not remember any details.

For me it is interesting to follow a few of the links on this swiki page.
There is a listing of "Who's Where" that shows three people in Michigan,
USA. I am one of the three, but I have never met the other two, both
of whom apparently lived in the city of Ann Arbor at the time of the
"Squeak people" listings. I now live in Ann Arbor myself, but I still
have never met or spoken with any other Squeakers aside from other
members of the Squeak oversight board who I now know from our video
conference board meetings.

Dave

Hi Dave,
unfortunately, http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/8.history shows a serious drop of interest after 2005...

Nicolas

Re: Squeak People (was: Time to Vote!)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
David,

> I had forgotten about "Squeak people" but here is the link to a
> swiki page about it:
>
>    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/8

Nice list! Odd that I am not there given

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/207

> This is page number 8 on the swiki, so it must be of fairly ancient
> provenance. IIRC there was also an actual web site for "squeak people"
> but I do not remember any details.

If you delete a swiki page and then create a new one, it might reuse the
old number. So while it is very likely that this was a very early page
you can't be sure until you check the history (which starts in January
2000 for page 8).

The site I talked about can be found at

> https://web.archive.org/web/*/people.squeakfoundation.org

Please ignore all snapshots after May 14 2008 since that was the last
time the site was actually running. It felt a bit like LinkedIn and help
see who had joined recently and what people were doing.

At one point there was a list on SqueakLand that people could add their
names to, but with a strict chronological order it only worked well in
the begining but became pointless as the list grew too big (just like
having 3000 comments on a video is worse than having 30).

> For me it is interesting to follow a few of the links on this swiki page.
> There is a listing of "Who's Where" that shows three people in Michigan,
> USA. I am one of the three, but I have never met the other two, both
> of whom apparently lived in the city of Ann Arbor at the time of the
> "Squeak people" listings. I now live in Ann Arbor myself, but I still
> have never met or spoken with any other Squeakers aside from other
> members of the Squeak oversight board who I now know from our video
> conference board meetings.

There was a "meet up" site that people tried to use to organize local
events. I think that other than a few meetings in London there was a not
enough concentration of people to make it work. At one point Craig Latta
was organizing some meetings in Silicon Valley - perhaps he could
comment on how well those worked?

-- Jecel