Re: vested interest in PharoJS?

NorbertHartl
I thought I responded already. We are interested in pharoJS. We developed stuff with amber but stopped using it. We have one app in the app store with ionic and amber and I'd like to do another one with pharoJS. Additionally I think that combining pharoJS with electron could be a nice thing to have in order to create desktop apps. And finally I was shortly researching native callouts from javascript with javascript core on ios and it seems you can do pharo code, transpile to javascript that calls javascript functions which are OS-native functions.

Norbert

> Am 14.06.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone else interested in PharoJS and making it mature for their own commercial mobile and single page web app (and node.js) development?
>
> I think it has a huge potential because it brings the browser runtime and many libraries and online services from the JS world to us Smalltalkers while letting us keep our agile development and good CS practices. But it does not yet have the necessary features and documentation to work smoothly.
>
> -- Siemen

Re: [Pharo-users] vested interest in PharoJS?

NorbertHartl

Am 22.06.2017 um 13:57 schrieb Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>:

Very cool, Norbert. I have been watching what you are doing at 2denker and thought you might be interested ;)

What is holding you back - do you need more from PharoJS before starting to use it commercially, or are you waiting for a (paid) project before you can start?

What is keeping me? A project and the feasibility. The amber project we could do because the project was more of a research project so I said "why not". For anything serious you need to check if it is feasible to use. And my trials with PharoJS were only little so I don't have the feeling, yet, if it is a huge benefit using it. But I feel a huge potential in it so it is on my list of things I wanna try but not on top.

Norbert

-- Siemen

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought I responded already. We are interested in pharoJS. We developed stuff with amber but stopped using it. We have one app in the app store with ionic and amber and I'd like to do another one with pharoJS. Additionally I think that combining pharoJS with electron could be a nice thing to have in order to create desktop apps. And finally I was shortly researching native callouts from javascript with javascript core on ios and it seems you can do pharo code, transpile to javascript that calls javascript functions which are OS-native functions.

Norbert

> Am 14.06.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Is anyone else interested in PharoJS and making it mature for their own commercial mobile and single page web app (and node.js) development?
>
> I think it has a huge potential because it brings the browser runtime and many libraries and online services from the JS world to us Smalltalkers while letting us keep our agile development and good CS practices. But it does not yet have the necessary features and documentation to work smoothly.
>
> -- Siemen

Re: vested interest in PharoJS?

askoh
Administrator
There seem to be some interesting work with SqueakJS by Craig Latta.
https://thiscontext.com/

I hope Smalltalk of all dialects can get together to develop a killer web development environment.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: [Pharo-users] vested interest in PharoJS?

Stephane Ducasse-3
Did you contact noury?

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 22.06.2017 um 13:57 schrieb Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>:
>
> Very cool, Norbert. I have been watching what you are doing at 2denker and
> thought you might be interested ;)
>
> What is holding you back - do you need more from PharoJS before starting to
> use it commercially, or are you waiting for a (paid) project before you can
> start?
>
> What is keeping me? A project and the feasibility. The amber project we
> could do because the project was more of a research project so I said "why
> not". For anything serious you need to check if it is feasible to use. And
> my trials with PharoJS were only little so I don't have the feeling, yet, if
> it is a huge benefit using it. But I feel a huge potential in it so it is on
> my list of things I wanna try but not on top.
>
> Norbert
>

> -- Siemen
>
> On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I thought I responded already. We are interested in pharoJS. We developed
>> stuff with amber but stopped using it. We have one app in the app store with
>> ionic and amber and I'd like to do another one with pharoJS. Additionally I
>> think that combining pharoJS with electron could be a nice thing to have in
>> order to create desktop apps. And finally I was shortly researching native
>> callouts from javascript with javascript core on ios and it seems you can do
>> pharo code, transpile to javascript that calls javascript functions which
>> are OS-native functions.
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> > Am 14.06.2017 um 11:46 schrieb Siemen Baader <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Is anyone else interested in PharoJS and making it mature for their own
>> > commercial mobile and single page web app (and node.js) development?
>> >
>> > I think it has a huge potential because it brings the browser runtime
>> > and many libraries and online services from the JS world to us Smalltalkers
>> > while letting us keep our agile development and good CS practices. But it
>> > does not yet have the necessary features and documentation to work smoothly.
>> >
>> > -- Siemen

Re: [Pharo-users] vested interest in PharoJS?

NorbertHartl

> Am 24.06.2017 um 21:37 schrieb Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>
> Did you contact noury?

About what? I'm on the pharojs slack community and talk with Noury and Dave from time to time.

Norbert