Re: [vw-dev] Registry

Maarten Mostert-2
Over here it doesn't  work either however the Win32SystemSupport seems to know how to access the registry.
Win32SystemSupport  notably writes the Visualworks version to the registry and seems to do be able to do other things.

@+Maarten,

Le 28 avr. 2014 à 15:55, Annick Fron <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I am currently trying to use the Registry package, but nothing seems to be working.
> Non existing keys answer true to « exists » and vice versa.
>
> Anyone has used it recently ?
> Annick Fron

Re: [vw-dev] Registry

Niall Ross
Dear Maarten and Annick,
    what versions of VW and registry are you using?

There was discussion a year ago (early March 2013 in VWNC) re sometimes
needing to do

    WindowsRegistry.WindowsRegistryAPI recompileMethods

in 7.8 through 7.9.1.  I addressed that for 7.10 (version 30 - see its
postLoad block).

Joachim posted (5mar2013) re getting the mask right if running a 32 bit
image on 64 but not wanting the indirection.  (I had to address that in
Win32SystemSupport, so that our installer could run in a 32 bit image
but also configure the registry correctly for 64 bit images.  N.B. that
code is not in the base image except for the masks themselves;
KEY_WOW64_64_KEY and KEY_WOW64_32_KEY.)

So
    (1) does recompiling the methods help at all?
    (2) do you see the problem when running in a 32 bit image on a
64-bit machine and not at other times?

(If neither of these, then my post does not help, alas.)

                Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

>Over here it doesn't  work either however the Win32SystemSupport seems to know how to access the registry.
>Win32SystemSupport  notably writes the Visualworks version to the registry and seems to do be able to do other things.
>
>@+Maarten,
>

>Le 28 avr. 2014 à 15:55, Annick Fron <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>

>>I am currently trying to use the Registry package, but nothing seems to be working.
>>Non existing keys answer true to « exists » and vice versa.
>>
>>Anyone has used it recently ?
>>Annick Fron

Re: [vw-dev] Registry

Maarten Mostert-2
Thank you Niall,

Yes the recompile thing tells gives me some souvenirs.

Regards,

@+Maarten,

Le 29 avr. 2014 à 21:12, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Dear Maarten and Annick,
>   what versions of VW and registry are you using?
>
> There was discussion a year ago (early March 2013 in VWNC) re sometimes needing to do
>
>   WindowsRegistry.WindowsRegistryAPI recompileMethods
>
> in 7.8 through 7.9.1.  I addressed that for 7.10 (version 30 - see its postLoad block).
>
> Joachim posted (5mar2013) re getting the mask right if running a 32 bit image on 64 but not wanting the indirection.  (I had to address that in Win32SystemSupport, so that our installer could run in a 32 bit image but also configure the registry correctly for 64 bit images.  N.B. that code is not in the base image except for the masks themselves;  KEY_WOW64_64_KEY and KEY_WOW64_32_KEY.)
>
> So
>   (1) does recompiling the methods help at all?
>   (2) do you see the problem when running in a 32 bit image on a 64-bit machine and not at other times?
>
> (If neither of these, then my post does not help, alas.)
>
>               Yours faithfully
>                  Niall Ross
>
>> Over here it doesn't  work either however the Win32SystemSupport seems to know how to access the registry.
>> Win32SystemSupport  notably writes the Visualworks version to the registry and seems to do be able to do other things.
>>
>> @+Maarten,
>>

>> Le 28 avr. 2014 à 15:55, Annick Fron <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>

>>> I am currently trying to use the Registry package, but nothing seems to be working.
>>> Non existing keys answer true to « exists » and vice versa.
>>>
>>> Anyone has used it recently ?
>>> Annick Fron

Re: [vw-dev] Registry

Annick Fron-2
Hi Niall,

I have finally dropped using Registry, because with Windows 7 there are a lot of issues regarding execution rights, and administrators are not quite administrators …

Using the parcel from version 7.10.1 I have the following working :

(WindowsRegistryValue path: 'HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\ComputerName') value

but not this one :

(WindowsRegistryValue path: 'HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid’) value

Best regards

Annick
Le 29 avr. 2014 à 21:12, Niall Ross <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Dear Maarten and Annick,
>   what versions of VW and registry are you using?
>
> There was discussion a year ago (early March 2013 in VWNC) re sometimes needing to do
>
>   WindowsRegistry.WindowsRegistryAPI recompileMethods
>
> in 7.8 through 7.9.1.  I addressed that for 7.10 (version 30 - see its postLoad block).
>
> Joachim posted (5mar2013) re getting the mask right if running a 32 bit image on 64 but not wanting the indirection.  (I had to address that in Win32SystemSupport, so that our installer could run in a 32 bit image but also configure the registry correctly for 64 bit images.  N.B. that code is not in the base image except for the masks themselves;  KEY_WOW64_64_KEY and KEY_WOW64_32_KEY.)
>
> So
>   (1) does recompiling the methods help at all?
>   (2) do you see the problem when running in a 32 bit image on a 64-bit machine and not at other times?
>
> (If neither of these, then my post does not help, alas.)
>
>               Yours faithfully
>                  Niall Ross
>
>> Over here it doesn't  work either however the Win32SystemSupport seems to know how to access the registry.
>> Win32SystemSupport  notably writes the Visualworks version to the registry and seems to do be able to do other things.
>>
>> @+Maarten,
>>

>> Le 28 avr. 2014 à 15:55, Annick Fron <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>

>>> I am currently trying to use the Registry package, but nothing seems to be working.
>>> Non existing keys answer true to « exists » and vice versa.
>>>
>>> Anyone has used it recently ?
>>> Annick Fron

Re: [vw-dev] Registry

Niall Ross
Dear Annick,

>Using the parcel from version 7.10.1 I have the following working :
>
>(WindowsRegistryValue path: 'HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName\ComputerName') value
>
>but not this one :
>
>(WindowsRegistryValue path: 'HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid’) value

I note that the first has no Wow6432Node alternate whereas the second
can do, so could hit 32-on-64 redirection.  Are you on a 64 bit
machine?  If so, are you running from a 32 bit image or a 64 bit image?
If you have values in both
    HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid
and

HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Cryptography\MachineGuid
do you get a value?

It is possible to read the 64 bit value from a 32 bit image, avoiding
reddirection.  (On the other hand, usually the redirection is what you
want.)

Apologies if I am suggesting what you have already checked.

                Yours faithfully
                      Niall Ross

Re: [vw-dev] Registry

Maarten Mostert

This is probably why it doesn't work:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14213020/getting-windows-serial-number-was-getting-machineguid-from-registry

So the solution might come out of DotNet ....

Regards,

@+Maarten,