Re: [vwnc] most energy efficient AI system - challenge of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [vwnc] most energy efficient AI system - challenge of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF

Nowak, Helge

Dear Bernhard, Alexandre and all,

Thanks Bernhard for pointing to this. I would have missed it completely…

The German BMBF (Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung = German Federal Ministry of Research and Technology) started this competition for German universities and public research centers. It is targeted at increasing energy efficiency for AI systems. The aim is to increase Germany’s competencies and competitiveness in this sector which is deemed to be a future key technology with the potential of disruptive innovation.

It is clear that the energy efficiency is less determined by what programming language is used and what virtual machine is run on some standard hardware. The real gains are rather found in maybe novel algorithms, surely in novel hardware architectures and implementations. Indeed, when you look at the details of the competition (link below) that is exactly the case: any proposed solutions submitted to the competition must belong to one of three categories: FPGAs, ASIC s in 130 nm technology or ASICs in FDSOI technology. Close hardware/software co-design is explicitly requested. Not eligible are solutions that only optimize software components or use commercially available hardware unchanged.

Does this mean that this competition is of no interest to ambitious Smalltalkers? No! In contrary. With Smalltalk being a perfect interactive modeling, exploration and simulation tool we Smalltalkers can help our competition team to build, explore and optimize their ideas before and while building them in hardware. Also hardware is nothing without software. Smalltalk is in my view best positioned to execute the desired co-design in a co-evolutionary way. Certainly we could demonstrate modern “agile” engineering approaches as a side-means to increase competitiveness.

Everyone interested should take a look at the competition here: https://www.bmbf.de/foerderungen/bekanntmachung-2371.html (in German, obviously).

Please also forward to all people who might be interested.

Cheers

Helge

Helge Nowak
Cincom Smalltalk Technical Account Manager

http://internal.cincom.com/signature/logo.png
Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Humboldtstraße 3
60318 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY

office
mobile

website
email

+49 89 89 66 44 94
+49 172 74 00 402

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com
[hidden email]

A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero. -- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Donald E. Vick
oHG mit Sitz/based in Frankfurt am Main (Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRA 50297)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

--- CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT ---

This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the addressee named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited, please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Von: Alexandre Bergel [mailto:[hidden email]]
Gesendet: Freitag, 12. April 2019 19:08
An: Bernhard Höfner <[hidden email]>
Cc: VisualWorks mailing list list <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [vwnc] most energy efficient AI system - challenge of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF

Hello,

We conducted some experiment in characterizing virtual machine from an energetic point of view. Results are not public yet. This is just to say this is a topic that I am interested in.

Cheers,

Alexandre

On Apr 11, 2019, at 5:29 PM, Bernhard Höfner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Group,

the German BMBF advertised a reward for the most energy efficient AI system, see: https://www.bmbf.de/de/mehr-ki-erfordert-weniger-energie-8156.html (in German), and I am wondering what is the position of Smalltalk in that field or what it could be. From the early 90th I know that much of the pretended slowness of Smalltalk was absorbed by the more efficient programs due to better analysis, concepts, design and development tools (and maybe developers ? ).

Best Regards, Bernhard

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nowak, Helge
Dear all,

I have received several interesting suggestions about innovative ideas, on this list and privately. I would love to see these pursued! Unfortunately this competition is for _German_  universities and research institutes only. And the idea givers come from elsewhere. Thus we would need a German research group who would take these ideas and bring them to life. And, we would need permission and support by the idea givers to use and implement their ideas. Whether this would result in any remuneration? I don't know.

Are there people out there who would want to take this challenge? If yes, I would be happy to help coordinate things.

Cheers
Helge
[cross-posted to ESUG]

Helge Nowak
Cincom Smalltalk Technical Account Manager

Cincom Systems GmbH & Co. oHG
Humboldtstraße 3
60318 Frankfurt am Main
GERMANY
office
mobile

website
email
+49 89 89 66 44 94
+49 172 74 00 402

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com
[hidden email]
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero. -- Albert Einstein

Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Thomas M. Nies, Donald E. Vick
oHG mit Sitz/based in Frankfurt am Main (Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRA 50297)
Pers. haftender Gesellschafter/Partner liable to unlimited extent:
Cincom Systems Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH (Amtsgericht Königstein/Ts. HRB 5069)

--- CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT ---
This e-mail transmission contains information that is intended to be privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the addressee named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited, please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Alexandre Bergel [mailto:[hidden email]]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 30. April 2019 04:11
An: [hidden email]
Cc: Bernhard Höfner <[hidden email]>; Nowak, Helge <[hidden email]>; VisualWorks mailing list list <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [vwnc] most energy efficient AI system - challenge of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF

Hello,

Just to share a bit of the work being done in the Southern Hemisphere:
- The book https://agileartificialintelligence.github.io is going well, and will be published by Apress
- Popular AI libraries written in Python are accessible from Smalltalk. Here is a report about it: http://bergel.eu/MyPapers/Infa18a-Keras.pdf

I can provide more information if necessary...

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Apr 16, 2019, at 3:35 PM, mark pirogovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> About AI in Smaltalk:
>
>
> Bernhard Höfner wrote:
>> Thank you, Helge, I had no clue but I felt something like this.
>> …at least it would be an excellent advertisement for Smalltalk when
>> it succeeds and therefore maybe it would be worth to harness the forces in the Smalltalk community, no matter if Squeak, Pharo, VisualWorks… But Smalltalk will not have any effect without an excellent partner for hardware and for AI algorithms. Maybe the suitable Fraunhofer institute? At least they invented mp3.
>
> In mid 90ies I was part of the Smalltalk project where the Neural network was paired with the distributed computing and n-tier architecture.   The Neural Net part was running on bunch of Windows computers running Win 3.1.  Each of the PC  would get  data from the central Database, analyze and  learn from it and post suggestion and modes to neural network back to the database.
>
> The effectiveness was quite amazing. It was in real production for a
> while.  I wonder if something like this still quietly exists  in some
> bank or investment place  or CIA
>
>> From the early 90th I know that much of the pretended slowness of Smalltalk was absorbed by the more efficient programs due to better analysis, concepts, design and development tools (and maybe developers ? ).
>>
>> Best Regards, Bernhard
>
> Today reincarnation of the VisualWorks performs just as good as many compiled languages thanks to the VM optimization and excellent  JIT algorithms.