Re: (was: Moose-dev) #stable and Metacello

Re: (was: Moose-dev) #stable and Metacello

DiegoLont
Dale, Stef,

I like to have "a recommended version" as default and not #'stable'. Because I still want to recommend a version, even is this isn't stable. I can use the blessings to mark it as "development" or "release".

Using a 'recommended version' also makes it clear, that it depends on the project (both using as used) wether is is wise to use this version or not. For Moose 4.8 the 'recommended version' is the release candidate.

Diego

On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:55 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:29 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Stef,
>>
>> I think it is clear that #stable is not the right name, but I also think it is better to have one "badly named," commonly used symbolic version rather than a bunch of different names for the same thing…
>
> yes
> but this can be confusing.
>> Eventually we should change the convention, but I don't think we need to hurry and do so:)
>
> first we need a tool to manage configuration for real.
>
> Stef
>

>> Dale

Dale Henrichs
Diego,

I realize that you may not like the name #stable, but the mechanism behind #stable is what you want.

In current usage, the #stable version is the 'recommended version'.....

Dale

| I like to have "a recommended version" as default and not #'stable'. Because
| I still want to recommend a version, even is this isn't stable. I can use
| the blessings to mark it as "development" or "release".
|
| Using a 'recommended version' also makes it clear, that it depends on the
| project (both using as used) wether is is wise to use this version or not.
| For Moose 4.8 the 'recommended version' is the release candidate.
|
| Diego
|
| On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:55 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
|

| > On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:29 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
| >
| >> Stef,
| >>
| >> I think it is clear that #stable is not the right name, but I also think
| >> it is better to have one "badly named," commonly used symbolic version
| >> rather than a bunch of different names for the same thing…
| >
| > yes
| > but this can be confusing.
| >> Eventually we should change the convention, but I don't think we need to
| >> hurry and do so:)
| >
| > first we need a tool to manage configuration for real.
| >
| > Stef
| >

| >> Dale

| >> |
| >> |