Read-only images / how to deploy new image as fast as possible?

Read-only images / how to deploy new image as fast as possible?

Herby Vojčík
Hi,

I came to the phase where I actually deploy the small backend written in
Pharo, and I wonder about two things:

   1. Is it possible to make .image / .changes read-only? Will Pharo
just work (not writing the image, but that is not needed, all data are
in sqlite file)?

   2. How to "switch" images as fast as possible? I presume there is no
way to tell vm to "stop doing this and reload different image" or
something like that? I need to stop the runninng one and then start the
new one? Or is it possible to "swap" the read-only image for new one and
tell VM to reload (just wanting to minimize the off-time).

Thanks, Herby

Re: Read-only images / how to deploy new image as fast as possible?

Tim Mackinnon
Hi Herby - for #1, yes you can do that (I do this in PharoLambda) - there was a snippet from Sven on how to do it (you need to override 2 classes I seem to recall) , if you search in the archives you should find it.

I'm not near a computer to give you the exact bit - but if you can't find it I'll pop a reply tomorrow.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone