Reading/writing Windows registry?

Carl Gundel-2
I'm having trouble finding information about accessing the Windows registry in VA Smalltalk.  I googled and only found information about add on products for this.  Really?  Shouldn't this be built in, from the get go?

-Carl Gundel

Re: Reading/writing Windows registry?

Carl Gundel-2
On Friday, April 26, 2013 9:07:08 AM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
I'm having trouble finding information about accessing the Windows registry in VA Smalltalk.  I googled and only found information about add on products for this.  Really?  Shouldn't this be built in, from the get go?

-Carl Gundel

Okay, I kept digging and found the OleRegistry class (why is it called OleRegistry?).  There is an included registry browser example that I will try to use to figure this out.  Is there any written documentation?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Reading/writing Windows registry?

Hermann Ottens
Hi Carl,

i don't know about the OleRegistry class, but you can have a look at AbtHTMLHelpAccessor (application AbtWinHelpApp, subapp of AbtHelpApp) especially the methods platformBrowserPath and platformNewreaderPath.
We built our own registry class based on the information found there.

Hermann

Am Freitag, 26. April 2013 15:29:32 UTC+2 schrieb Carl Gundel:
On Friday, April 26, 2013 9:07:08 AM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:
I'm having trouble finding information about accessing the Windows registry in VA Smalltalk.  I googled and only found information about add on products for this.  Really?  Shouldn't this be built in, from the get go?

-Carl Gundel

Okay, I kept digging and found the OleRegistry class (why is it called OleRegistry?).  There is an included registry browser example that I will try to use to figure this out.  Is there any written documentation?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Reading/writing Windows registry?

Thomas Koschate-2
On Friday, April 26, 2013 9:07:08 AM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:

Shouldn't this be built in, from the get go?

Some of us only use Windows when absolutely forced to, so I think the Instantiations folks will need to hear a demand for support for a Windows registry handler, before you see it happening.

Until then, you might find it worthwhile to spend the $81 for a single copy of http://www.totallyobjects.com/registry.HTM, or talk to David Pennington about licensing more seats.  Totally Objects does good stuff, and surely your time is worth more than that paltry amount?

Tom

Re: Reading/writing Windows registry?

jtuchel

Am Freitag, 26. April 2013 18:51:34 UTC+2 schrieb Thomas Koschate:
On Friday, April 26, 2013 9:07:08 AM UTC-4, Carl Gundel wrote:

Shouldn't this be built in, from the get go?

Some of us only use Windows when absolutely forced to,

 hear, hear ;-)

I guess I'd tend to agree with Tom here: if I could chose between better Linux Support or a Registry tool in VAST, I'd happily buy David's tool and have Instantiations work on less obscure things ;-)

Joachim

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989