Really Important message (tm)

12

Really Important message (tm)

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

Let me reiterate it:

        - We need you!
        - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
        - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not smart I'm just a tedious learner
        I can any opportunity to learn something new.
        - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
        - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
        - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
        - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper clever fixes!
        - we accept little improvement
        - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code

Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
        - screencast
        - checking tests (yesterday I moved CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
        - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
        - blogging
        - tweeting

We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve even if we disappear on the moon.

Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.

We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Igor Stasenko
On 15 April 2010 10:14, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Let me reiterate it:
>
>        - We need you!
>        - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
>        - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not smart I'm just a tedious learner
>        I can any opportunity to learn something new.
>        - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
>        - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
>        - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
>        - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper clever fixes!
>        - we accept little improvement
>        - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code
>
> Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
>        - screencast
>        - checking tests (yesterday I moved CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
>        - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>        - blogging
>        - tweeting
>

> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve even if we disappear on the moon.
>
> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>
> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.

> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
what is it?

> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).
>
> Stef

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Lukas Renggli
>> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
> what is it?

http://scg.unibe.ch/research/helvetia

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Really Important message (tm)

EstebanLM
You are right... and I pick up the glove. I want compromise some of my
free time on move on Pharo :)
This is not really much, since now I have several ongoing projects who
(I hope) will contribute to pharo community:

-Mars/Deimos
-Reef
-SeasideXUL/Magritte-SeasideXUL (this is new :P)

but I think I can spend a couple of hours/week on (trying to) solve
some of the minor issues, starting this week.

Cheers,
Esteban

On 2010-04-15 04:14:59 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> said:

> Hi guys
>
> Let me reiterate it:
>
> - We need you!
> - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
> - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not
> smart I'm just a tedious learner
> I can any opportunity to learn something new.
> - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
> - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
> - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
> - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper
> clever fixes!
> - we accept little improvement
> - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code
>
> Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
> - screencast
> - checking tests (yesterday I moved
> CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint)
> Yeah hyper difficult
> - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
> - blogging
> - tweeting
>

> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve
> even if we disappear on the moon.
>
> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little
> bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>
> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the
> newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).
>
> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

EstebanLM
oops, I forgot to say I also collaborating with SquakDBX... Mariano is
going to kill me... :P

On 2010-04-15 09:34:29 -0300, Esteban Lorenzano
<[hidden email]> said:

> You are right... and I pick up the glove. I want compromise some of my
>
> free time on move on Pharo :)
> This is not really much, since now I have several ongoing projects who
>
> (I hope) will contribute to pharo community:
>
> -Mars/Deimos
> -Reef
> -SeasideXUL/Magritte-SeasideXUL (this is new :P)
>
> but I think I can spend a couple of hours/week on (trying to) solve
>
> some of the minor issues, starting this week.
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>

> On 2010-04-15 04:14:59 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse
>
> <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> Hi guys
>>

>> Let me reiterate it:
>>

>> - We need you!
>> - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
>> - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not
>
>> smart I'm just a tedious learner
>> I can any opportunity to learn something new.
>> - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
>> - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
>> - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
>> - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper
>
>> clever fixes!
>> - we accept little improvement
>> - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code
>>

>> Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
>> - screencast
>> - checking tests (yesterday I moved
>
>> CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint)
>
>> Yeah hyper difficult
>> - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>> - blogging
>> - tweeting
>>

>> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve
>
>> even if we disappear on the moon.
>>

>> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little
>
>> bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>>

>> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the
>
>> newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
>> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
>> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).
>>

>> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Thanks!
Thanks!
Thanks!
30 min.
One little bug or a little tests. Yes you can have an impact!

Stef

On Apr 15, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> You are right... and I pick up the glove. I want compromise some of my free time on move on Pharo :)
> This is not really much, since now I have several ongoing projects who (I hope) will contribute to pharo community:
>
> -Mars/Deimos
> -Reef
> -SeasideXUL/Magritte-SeasideXUL (this is new :P)
>
> but I think I can spend a couple of hours/week on (trying to) solve some of the minor issues, starting this week.
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>

> On 2010-04-15 04:14:59 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> Hi guys
>> Let me reiterate it:
>> - We need you!
>> - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
>> - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not smart I'm just a tedious learner
>> I can any opportunity to learn something new.
>> - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
>> - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
>> - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
>> - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper clever fixes!
>> - we accept little improvement
>> - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code
>> Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
>> - screencast
>> - checking tests (yesterday I moved CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
>> - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>> - blogging
>> - tweeting
>>

>> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve even if we disappear on the moon.
>> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
>> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
>> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).
>> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Carla F. Griggio
I was reading the website... if I want to be a "commiter" so I can fix bugs, I have to sign the license? How can I do that?

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks!
Thanks!
Thanks!
30 min.
One little bug or a little tests. Yes you can have an impact!

Stef

On Apr 15, 2010, at 2:34 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> You are right... and I pick up the glove. I want compromise some of my free time on move on Pharo :)
> This is not really much, since now I have several ongoing projects who (I hope) will contribute to pharo community:
>
> -Mars/Deimos
> -Reef
> -SeasideXUL/Magritte-SeasideXUL (this is new :P)
>
> but I think I can spend a couple of hours/week on (trying to) solve some of the minor issues, starting this week.
>
> Cheers,
> Esteban
>

> On 2010-04-15 04:14:59 -0300, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> Hi guys
>> Let me reiterate it:
>>      - We need you!
>>      - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
>>      - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not smart I'm just a tedious learner
>>      I can any opportunity to learn something new.
>>      - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
>>      - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
>>      - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
>>      - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper clever fixes!
>>      - we accept little improvement
>>      - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code
>> Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
>>      - screencast
>>      - checking tests (yesterday I moved CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
>>      - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>>      - blogging
>>      - tweeting
>>

>> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve even if we disappear on the moon.
>> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
>> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
>> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).
>> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Alain Plantec-4
Carla F. Griggio a écrit :
> I was reading the website... if I want to be a "commiter" so I can fix
> bugs, I have to sign the license? How can I do that?
Hi Carla and welcome!
http://www.pharo-project.org/license
see the note on the right.
you just have to sign the licence
(http://pharo.gforge.inria.fr/licenseDocuments/PharoSoftwareDistributionAgreement.pdf)
and send it to Stephane.
Cheers
Alain

> [...]
>     >>      - screencast
>     >>      - checking tests (yesterday I moved
>     CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to
>     CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
>     >>      - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>     >>      - blogging
>     >>      - tweeting
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to
>     evolve even if we disappear on the moon.
>     >> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing
>     little bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>     >> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the
>     newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
>     >> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
>     >> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).

garduino
ok, my signed agreement is leaving today for France.

I will try to start understanding how is the contribution process in
Pharo and playing a bit with unstable.

Unfortunately I've very little free time, but still, will try to help.

Cheers.

2010/4/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys
>
> Let me reiterate it:
>
>        - We need you!
>        - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
>        - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not smart I'm just a tedious learner
>        I can any opportunity to learn something new.
>        - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
>        - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
>        - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
>        - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper clever fixes!
>        - we accept little improvement
>        - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code
>
> Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
>        - screencast
>        - checking tests (yesterday I moved CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
>        - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>        - blogging
>        - tweeting
>

> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve even if we disappear on the moon.
>
> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>
> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).
>
> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks!
As I said, 30 min are enough
Stef

On Apr 15, 2010, at 9:25 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> ok, my signed agreement is leaving today for France.
>
> I will try to start understanding how is the contribution process in
> Pharo and playing a bit with unstable.
>
> Unfortunately I've very little free time, but still, will try to help.
>
> Cheers.
>

> 2010/4/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Let me reiterate it:
>>
>>        - We need you!
>>        - 75 % of the issues on the bug tracker are simple.
>>        - BTW how did we learn stuff, by reading code and learning. I'm not smart I'm just a tedious learner
>>        I can any opportunity to learn something new.
>>        - if you spend 30 min a week, YOU CAN get an IMPACT!
>>        - if pharo is important for you then 30 min in a good investment
>>        - every single LITTLE bugs fixed and improvement is IMPORTANT
>>        - we do not want the final latest coolest superhyper cool and hyper clever fixes!
>>        - we accept little improvement
>>        - in UNSTABLE we have the right to push not 100% finish code
>>
>> Now think what YOU can do for pharo. Because Yes YOU can
>>        - screencast
>>        - checking tests (yesterday I moved CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
>>        - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>>        - blogging
>>        - tweeting
>>

>> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo continue to evolve even if we disappear on the moon.
>>
>> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop fixing little bugs because we want to make progress on other fronts.
>>
>> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
>> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
>> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to code argh).
>>
>> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

garduino
The letter is on the way.

A first question, to help with unstable I should use it as it comes
(with no added packages) or I can install somethings to make the
environment more comfortable (as shout for example) ?

Germán.

On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> The letter is on the way.
>
> A first question, to help with unstable I should use it as it comes
> (with no added packages) or I can install somethings to make the
> environment more comfortable (as shout for example) ?

the way you want but if you load packages you should pay attention that you changes do not impact them by accident.
Ideally we would like to have metacello to manage core and the process would be

        - take latest core
        - update
                -> get Pharo with maintained Pharo package: sound
        ------------------------------------------------------- this phase should be done for us on a server with a hudson cron like job

        - you change
        - you publish changes
        we take the current unstable core + packages
        - integrate your changes
        -> produce new version of packages + new metacello configuration

Now since loading code is too slow we have to pay attention and avoid to frantically remove packages from the image
because they can desync too easily when we do system wide changes.

So for simple things just take the latest unstable and publish changes

> Germán.
>
> 2010/4/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks!
>> As I said, 30 min are enough
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2010, at 9:25 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>> ok, my signed agreement is leaving today for France.
>>>
>>> I will try to start understanding how is the contribution process in
>>> Pharo and playing a bit with unstable.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I've very little free time, but still, will try to help.
>>>
>>> Cheers.

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Mariano Martinez Peck
Be aware (Carla) you don't need to be a letter...it can be the letter signed, scanned and sent by email. For those who live far away from France it is easier and cheaper ;)

Mariano

ps: don't tell my wife I am here hahahah

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:

> The letter is on the way.
>
> A first question, to help with unstable I should use it as it comes
> (with no added packages) or I can install somethings to make the
> environment more comfortable (as shout for example) ?

the way you want but if you load packages you should pay attention that you changes do not impact them by accident.
Ideally we would like to have metacello to manage core and the process would be

       - take latest core
       - update
               -> get Pharo with maintained Pharo package: sound
       ------------------------------------------------------- this phase should be done for us on a server with a hudson cron like job

       - you change
       - you publish changes
       we take the current unstable core + packages
       - integrate your changes
       -> produce new version of packages + new metacello configuration

Now since loading code is too slow we have to pay attention and avoid to frantically remove packages from the image
because they can desync too easily when we do system wide changes.

So for simple things just take the latest unstable and publish changes

> Germán.
>
> 2010/4/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Thanks!
>> As I said, 30 min are enough
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2010, at 9:25 PM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>> ok, my signed agreement is leaving today for France.
>>>
>>> I will try to start understanding how is the contribution process in
>>> Pharo and playing a bit with unstable.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I've very little free time, but still, will try to help.
>>>
>>> Cheers.

Re: Really Important message (tm)

garduino
hehe, I understood that a real letter is needed, and sent it yesterday :)

2010/4/16 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Be aware (Carla) you don't need to be a letter...it can be the letter
> signed, scanned and sent by email. For those who live far away from France
> it is easier and cheaper ;)
>
> Mariano
>
> ps: don't tell my wife I am here hahahah
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>> > The letter is on the way.
>> >
>> > A first question, to help with unstable I should use it as it comes
>> > (with no added packages) or I can install somethings to make the
>> > environment more comfortable (as shout for example) ?
>>
>> the way you want but if you load packages you should pay attention that
>> you changes do not impact them by accident.
>> Ideally we would like to have metacello to manage core and the process
>> would be
>>
>>        - take latest core
>>        - update
>>                -> get Pharo with maintained Pharo package: sound
>>        ------------------------------------------------------- this phase
>> should be done for us on a server with a hudson cron like job
>>
>>        - you change
>>        - you publish changes
>>        --------------------------------------------------------
>>        we take the current unstable core + packages
>>        - integrate your changes
>>        -> produce new version of packages + new metacello configuration
>>
>> Now since loading code is too slow we have to pay attention and avoid to
>> frantically remove packages from the image
>> because they can desync too easily when we do system wide changes.
>>
>> So for simple things just take the latest unstable and publish changes
>>

>> > Germán.

Re: Really Important message (tm)

garduino
Thanks by the explanations. I'm already checking the issues and the 1.1 version.

Will be back with more questions, be sure!

2010/4/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
>> The letter is on the way.
>>
>> A first question, to help with unstable I should use it as it comes
>> (with no added packages) or I can install somethings to make the
>> environment more comfortable (as shout for example) ?
>
> the way you want but if you load packages you should pay attention that you changes do not impact them by accident.
> Ideally we would like to have metacello to manage core and the process would be
>
>        - take latest core
>        - update
>                -> get Pharo with maintained Pharo package: sound
>        ------------------------------------------------------- this phase should be done for us on a server with a hudson cron like job
>
>        - you change
>        - you publish changes
>        --------------------------------------------------------
>        we take the current unstable core + packages
>        - integrate your changes
>        -> produce new version of packages + new metacello configuration
>
> Now since loading code is too slow we have to pay attention and avoid to frantically remove packages from the image
> because they can desync too easily when we do system wide changes.
>
> So for simple things just take the latest unstable and publish changes
>

>> Germán.
>>
>> 2010/4/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>> Thanks!
>>> As I said, 30 min are enough
>>> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Miguel Cobá
El vie, 16-04-2010 a las 22:37 +0200, Mariano Martinez Peck escribió:
> Be aware (Carla) you don't need to be a letter...it can be the letter
> signed, scanned and sent by email. For those who live far away from
> France it is easier and cheaper ;)
>
> Mariano
>
> ps: don't tell my wife I am here hahahah

so you are now a married man, congratulations Mariano.

Cheers

> [...]
>         CompiledMethodAsStringTest>>testPrint to
>         CompiledMethodTest>>testPrint) Yeah hyper difficult
>         >>>>        - Class comments: look at the URI class comment
>         >>>>        - blogging
>         >>>>        - tweeting
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>>> We should slowly change our process so that Pharo
>         continue to evolve even if we disappear on the moon.
>         >>>>
>         >>>> Now I asked marcus to focus on the newcompiler and stop
>         fixing little bugs because we want to make progress on other
>         fronts.
>         >>>>
>         >>>> We want newcompiler -  we want the newcompiler -  we want
>         the newcompiler and fixing it and fixing its interface.
>         >>>> We want Helvetia hooks -We want Helvetia hooks.
>         >>>> We want a new package object (but I do not find time to

http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Really Important message (tm)

kiss to Florencia :)

On Apr 16, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Be aware (Carla) you don't need to be a letter...it can be the letter signed, scanned and sent by email. For those who live far away from France it is easier and cheaper ;)
>
> Mariano
>
> ps: don't tell my wife I am here hahahah
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>
> > The letter is on the way.
> >
> > A first question, to help with unstable I should use it as it comes
> > (with no added packages) or I can install somethings to make the
> > environment more comfortable (as shout for example) ?
>
> the way you want but if you load packages you should pay attention that you changes do not impact them by accident.
> Ideally we would like to have metacello to manage core and the process would be
>
>        - take latest core
>        - update
>                -> get Pharo with maintained Pharo package: sound
>        ------------------------------------------------------- this phase should be done for us on a server with a hudson cron like job
>
>        - you change
>        - you publish changes
>        --------------------------------------------------------
>        we take the current unstable core + packages
>        - integrate your changes
>        -> produce new version of packages + new metacello configuration
>
> Now since loading code is too slow we have to pay attention and avoid to frantically remove packages from the image
> because they can desync too easily when we do system wide changes.
>
> So for simple things just take the latest unstable and publish changes
>

> > Germán.
> >
> > 2010/4/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> >> Thanks!
> >> As I said, 30 min are enough
> >> Stef

Re: Really Important message (tm)

garduino
Ok, I'm back asking :)

I started having an updated 1.1 version (PharoCore1.1ALPHA Latest
update: #11317).

Then, checked the issues on google page and selected one qualified as Easy :)
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2297&sort=-id&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty

I saw the things posted and the comments of Nicolás Cellier, but I
can't understand what is supposed to do with this.

I run the DurationTest on the image and the 41 tests runs ok.

Then, what is needed to do? I saw also that the method
#testAsMilliSeconds in the image is different that the method posted
by Stef on the issue page.

Well, sorry with the questions, but I need to understand to have the
possibility of help.

Cheers.
Germán.

2010/4/16 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks by the explanations. I'm already checking the issues and the 1.1 version.
>
> Will be back with more questions, be sure!
>

> 2010/4/16 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> On Apr 16, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Germán Arduino wrote:
>>
>>> The letter is on the way.
>>>
>>> A first question, to help with unstable I should use it as it comes
>>> (with no added packages) or I can install somethings to make the
>>> environment more comfortable (as shout for example) ?
>>
>> the way you want but if you load packages you should pay attention that you changes do not impact them by accident.
>> Ideally we would like to have metacello to manage core and the process would be
>>
>>        - take latest core
>>        - update
>>                -> get Pharo with maintained Pharo package: sound
>>        ------------------------------------------------------- this phase should be done for us on a server with a hudson cron like job
>>
>>        - you change
>>        - you publish changes
>>        --------------------------------------------------------
>>        we take the current unstable core + packages
>>        - integrate your changes
>>        -> produce new version of packages + new metacello configuration
>>
>> Now since loading code is too slow we have to pay attention and avoid to frantically remove packages from the image
>> because they can desync too easily when we do system wide changes.
>>
>> So for simple things just take the latest unstable and publish changes
>>

>>> Germán.

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 17.04.2010 17:34, Germán Arduino wrote:

> Ok, I'm back asking :)
>
> I started having an updated 1.1 version (PharoCore1.1ALPHA Latest
> update: #11317).
>
> Then, checked the issues on google page and selected one qualified as Easy :)
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2297&sort=-id&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Summary%20Milestone%20Difficulty
>
> I saw the things posted and the comments of Nicolás Cellier, but I
> can't understand what is supposed to do with this.
>
> I run the DurationTest on the image and the 41 tests runs ok.
>
> Then, what is needed to do? I saw also that the method
> #testAsMilliSeconds in the image is different that the method posted
> by Stef on the issue page.
>
> Well, sorry with the questions, but I need to understand to have the
> possibility of help.
>
> Cheers.
> Germán.
Looking at the + and - lines in the diff, it seems like the test has two
added assertions.
First, make sure those assertions actually make sense, in that they test
something you would expect.
Then, try adding them to the image, and see if tests still pass.
If they do, submit a slice with the added tests.
If they do not, see if modifying the code to what is pasted in the issue
make them pass.
If it does, submit a slice with tests + modified method.
If not, figure out a way to make the tests pass on Pharo, then submit :)

Cheers,
Henry

Re: Really Important message (tm)

Stéphane Ducasse

> Looking at the + and - lines in the diff, it seems like the test has two added assertions.
> First, make sure those assertions actually make sense, in that they test something you would expect.
> Then, try adding them to the image, and see if tests still pass.
> If they do, submit a slice with the added tests.
> If they do not, see if modifying the code to what is pasted in the issue make them pass.
> If it does, submit a slice with tests + modified method.
> If not, figure out a way to make the tests pass on Pharo, then submit :)

have a look at squeak to see if the tests pass there and not in pharo or inverse.
The idea is to see if they make sense in pharo context and help us to make the system better.
Often I read also the other tests and often I improve things (even like putting a good category instead of as yet unclassified)

Now in the present case this is not clear that
=============== Diff against Kernel-jcg.439 ===============

Item was changed:
 ----- Method: Duration class>>milliSeconds: (in category 'squeak protocol') -----
+ milliSeconds: milliCount
- milliSeconds: milliCount
       "Since seconds is 0 we can call the instance directly."
+       ^ self
+               seconds: milliCount // 1000
+               nanoSeconds: (milliCount \\ 1000)*NanosInMillisecond!
-
-       ^ self basicNew seconds: 0 nanoSeconds: milliCount * NanosInMillisecond!

is really better and may be the suggestion of nicolas should be taken into account.

Thanks German.
You see a lot of little details :)
stef
12