Reboot required ?

Chris Uppal-3
A bit puzzled.

Installing beta 1 on Win2K required a reboot.  Not what I'd expected, but OK,
fair enough.  Installing beta 2 on Win2K required another reboot.  I can't
think of any reason why that should be so.  I've just installed beta 2 on my
WinXP box, and /that/ is asking for a reboot too.

Is this actually necessary ?  If not then it looks pretty unprofessional.  If
it is then it's a bit worrying... what is Dolphin changing in my system ?

I haven't yet rebooted the XP box, so if there's anything you'd like me to
check before I do so (at which time, presumably, the record of /why/ a reboot
is required will lost) then please say so (soon).

    -- chris

Re: Reboot required ?

Andy Bower-3
Chris,

> A bit puzzled.
>
> Installing beta 1 on Win2K required a reboot.  Not what I'd expected,
> but OK, fair enough.  Installing beta 2 on Win2K required another
> reboot.  I can't think of any reason why that should be so.  I've
> just installed beta 2 on my WinXP box, and that is asking for a
> reboot too.
>
> Is this actually necessary ?  If not then it looks pretty
> unprofessional.  If it is then it's a bit worrying... what is Dolphin
> changing in my system ?
>
> I haven't yet rebooted the XP box, so if there's anything you'd like
> me to check before I do so (at which time, presumably, the record of
> why a reboot is required will lost) then please say so (soon).

I can only think it is the MSVCR71.dll and MSVCP71.DLL that are copied
to \Windows\System32. The ones we are distributing are both version:
8.0.21213.0 (I think). They are being installed as Shared Files but
perhaps they are being overwritten even when the current copy is up to
date.

Ah.. this might be it.. just found that the default seems to be to
always overwrite files, regardless of version or date. Let me try and
build a new installer with that turned off. Give me 30mins.

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Reboot required ?

Chris Uppal-3
I wrote:

> I haven't yet rebooted the XP box, so if there's anything you'd like me to
> check before I do so (at which time, presumably, the record of /why/ a
> reboot is required will lost) then please say so (soon).

BTW, the beta appears to be running perfectly well without the reboot.

    -- chris

Re: Reboot required ?

Chris Uppal-3
Andy,

> I can only think it is the MSVCR71.dll and MSVCP71.DLL that are copied
> to \Windows\System32. The ones we are distributing are both version:
> 8.0.21213.0 (I think). They are being installed as Shared Files but
> perhaps they are being overwritten even when the current copy is up to
> date.

Currently I in my Windows hierarchy I have:

    <windows>/system32/msvcr71.dll
            -- 7.10.3052.4

    <windows>/system32/XMSVCR71.dll
        -- 8.0.21213.0

    <windows>/system32/urttemp./msvcr71.dll
        -- 7.10.3052.4

    <windows>/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322
        -- 7.10.3052.4

So that sounds plausible.  Should Dolphin in fact be replacing the c runtime
stuff ?  If it's only required by the IDE then I'd have though a local
installation would be safer.  If it's required by deployed applications, then I
can't remember seeing any mention of this in the documentation, and /I/ wasn't
aware of the requirement.  (Not that it matters much to me, since the IDE tends
to be installed on any machines where I run deployed apps, anyway).

    -- chris

Re: Reboot required ?

Andy Bower-3
Chris,

> Ah.. this might be it.. just found that the default seems to be to
> always overwrite files, regardless of version or date. Let me try and
> build a new installer with that turned off. Give me 30mins.

I'm going to assume that this is the problem but I won't release a new
installer yet. There will probably be a PL2 later this week so we can
do another full release then.

Best regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
www.object-arts.com

Ted

Re: Reboot required ?

Ted
Andy Bower wrote:
> [..]
>
> I can only think it is the MSVCR71.dll and MSVCP71.DLL that are copied
> to \Windows\System32. The ones we are distributing are both version:
> 8.0.21213.0 (I think). They are being installed as Shared Files but
> perhaps they are being overwritten even when the current copy is up to
> date.

Interestingly the other day I installed one of my apps on a machine that
didn't have these two dll's installed and they appeared to be required
to run my app.
This was the first time I came across a machine that didn't have these
files so it raised a couple of questions with me:
- is it common not to have these on a machine?
- why are they required, does the vm need them for example or should I
be able to deploy without them?
- am I allowed to redistribute them (any licence issues)?

Thanks,

Ted