Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Jordi Delgado-2
Hi,

First of all, thanks everybody for your effort making Pharo. It's hugely
appreciated.

But..., I cannot make Pharo 6 or 7 work in os x "El Capitan". I've tried
stable and latest for images and vm's, either 6.0, 6.1 and 7.0. Any
combination fails to start. Also, no download from Pharo.org works for
me (not the launcher, not the standalone).

It's always an error that looks like this one:

"Illegal instruction Wed Jun 13 19:52:37 2018

VM: 201805090836 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
Date: Wed May 9 10:36:12 2018 CommitHash: 334be97
Plugins: 201805090836 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git

./pharo: line 11:  2623 Abort trap: 6
"$DIR"/"pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo" --headless "$@""

Is this a known problem (hopefully with some known workaround), or is it
me getting old? I am not new to Pharo and everything worked fine up to
Pharo 5.0.

This problem only appears in os x "El Capitan". I use Pharo, any
version, in Ubuntu with no problem at all.

Thanks in advance,

--
Bests,

Jordi Delgado

Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Campus Nord, Omega building,
Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
08034 Barcelona, Spain.
Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Tim Mackinnon

Hmm - it’s an older MacOS but I recall it working back then. The msg about —headless looks a bit suspicious. Are you running what you think you are running?

Try following the command line instructions for a zero conf install in a terminal in a fresh directory, that might give you better feedback (and may just work).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 19:07, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> First of all, thanks everybody for your effort making Pharo. It's hugely
> appreciated.
>
> But..., I cannot make Pharo 6 or 7 work in os x "El Capitan". I've tried
> stable and latest for images and vm's, either 6.0, 6.1 and 7.0. Any
> combination fails to start. Also, no download from Pharo.org works for
> me (not the launcher, not the standalone).
>
> It's always an error that looks like this one:
>
> "Illegal instruction Wed Jun 13 19:52:37 2018
>

> VM: 201805090836 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
> Date: Wed May 9 10:36:12 2018 CommitHash: 334be97
> Plugins: 201805090836 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
>
> ./pharo: line 11:  2623 Abort trap: 6
> "$DIR"/"pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo" --headless "$@""
>
> Is this a known problem (hopefully with some known workaround), or is it
> me getting old? I am not new to Pharo and everything worked fine up to
> Pharo 5.0.
>
> This problem only appears in os x "El Capitan". I use Pharo, any
> version, in Ubuntu with no problem at all.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Bests,
>
> Jordi Delgado
>
> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
> Campus Nord, Omega building,
> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Tim Mackinnon
Just to be clear - the instructions on pharo.org/download where it says:
curl https://get.pharo.org | bash
And then run it via

./pharo-ui Pharo.image

On 13 Jun 2018, at 19:52, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your answer Tim.

That's one of the multiple things I've tried. I did it again and here
you have the complete session, starting from an empty directory:

iMac-de-Jordi-2:tmp jordi$ ls -al
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   2 jordi  staff    68 13 jun 21:01 .
drwxr-x---@ 49 jordi  staff  1666 13 jun 19:45 ..

iMac-de-Jordi-2:tmp jordi$ curl https://get.pharo.org/64/ | bash
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
Speed
100 11324  100 11324    0     0  26168      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
26152
Downloading the latest 61 Image:
    http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/pharo64.zip
Pharo.image
Downloading the latest pharoVM:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/pharo64-mac-stable.zip
pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo
Downloading PharoV61.sources:
        http://files.pharo.org/get-files/61/sources.zip
Creating starter scripts pharo and pharo-ui

iMac-de-Jordi-2:tmp jordi$ ls -la
total 112456
drwxr-xr-x   8 jordi  staff       272 13 jun 21:02 .
drwxr-x---@ 49 jordi  staff      1666 13 jun 19:45 ..
-rw-rw-r--   1 jordi  staff   7694724  5 abr 14:36 Pharo.changes
-rw-rw-r--   1 jordi  staff  49867880  5 abr 14:36 Pharo.image
-rwxr-xr-x   1 jordi  staff       390 13 jun 21:01 pharo
-rwxr-xr-x   1 jordi  staff       379 13 jun 21:01 pharo-ui
drwxr-xr-x   5 jordi  staff       170 13 jun 21:01 pharo-vm

iMac-de-Jordi-2:tmp jordi$ ./pharo Pharo.image --help

Illegal instruction Wed Jun 13 21:02:06 2018

VM: 201805090836 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
Date: Wed May 9 10:36:12 2018 CommitHash: 334be97
Plugins: 201805090836 https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git

./pharo: line 11:  3483 Abort trap: 6
"$DIR"/"pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo" --headless "$@"

And that's it :(

El 13/6/18 a les 20:52, Tim Mackinnon ha escrit:

--
Salut!

Jordi Delgado

Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Campus Nord, Omega building,
Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
08034 Barcelona, Spain.
Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Tim Mackinnon
Have you tried the 32bit version - just to rule that out? You did the 64bit version - not sure how El Capitan faired with that?

Tim

> [...]
>>
>> Hmm - it’s an older MacOS but I recall it working back then. The msg about —headless looks a bit suspicious. Are you running what you think you are running?
>>
>> Try following the command line instructions for a zero conf install in a terminal in a fresh directory, that might give you better feedback (and may just work).
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>

> --
> Salut!
>
> Jordi Delgado
>
> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
> Campus Nord, Omega building,
> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Yes, I did. Same result.

All the same happens with the latest version of Squeak.

I tried with High Sierra. In HS Pharo 6.1 starts, the image opens but
then it complains about not being able to create some file in
/Private/var/... and the image becomes unusable. In High Sierra the
latest version of Squeak opens correctly.

Tomorrow I will try with Sierra, on a clean computer (a computer that
never had a Smalltalk installed in it).

I insist. You do not find any of these problems with Ubuntu. Quoting
Robert de Niro, f*ck Apple ;)

El 13/6/18 a les 21:55, Tim Mackinnon ha escrit:
> Have you tried the 32bit version - just to rule that out? You did the 64bit version - not sure how El Capitan faired with that?

--
Salut!

Jordi Delgado

Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Campus Nord, Omega building,
Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
08034 Barcelona, Spain.
Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

EstebanLM

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 22:57, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I did. Same result.
>
> All the same happens with the latest version of Squeak.
>
> I tried with High Sierra. In HS Pharo 6.1 starts, the image opens but
> then it complains about not being able to create some file in
> /Private/var/... and the image becomes unusable. In High Sierra the
> latest version of Squeak opens correctly.

this is because you are trying to execute a non-signed VM then it puts you in a sandbox.
easy fix: copy your VM into Applications and execute from there.

> Tomorrow I will try with Sierra, on a clean computer (a computer that
> never had a Smalltalk installed in it).
>
> I insist. You do not find any of these problems with Ubuntu. Quoting
> Robert de Niro, f*ck Apple ;)

well, but is very weird.
most of use work on mac and we do not have this problems (yes the one about the signed VM, but just that one).

Esteban

> El 13/6/18 a les 21:55, Tim Mackinnon ha escrit:
>> Have you tried the 32bit version - just to rule that out? You did the 64bit version - not sure how El Capitan faired with that?
>>

> --
> Salut!
>
> Jordi Delgado
>
> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
> Campus Nord, Omega building,
> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Jordi Delgado-2
Hi,

I checked with Sierra and High Sierra, both Pharo and Squeak and
everything works ok.

Thus, I guess some change/improvement was done to the vm's that broke
them for El Capitan.

Thanks for your answers.

On 13/06/18 23:41, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 22:57, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I did. Same result.
>>
>> All the same happens with the latest version of Squeak.
>>
>> I tried with High Sierra. In HS Pharo 6.1 starts, the image opens but
>> then it complains about not being able to create some file in
>> /Private/var/... and the image becomes unusable. In High Sierra the
>> latest version of Squeak opens correctly.
>
> this is because you are trying to execute a non-signed VM then it puts you in a sandbox.
> easy fix: copy your VM into Applications and execute from there.
>

>> Tomorrow I will try with Sierra, on a clean computer (a computer that
>> never had a Smalltalk installed in it).
>>
>> I insist. You do not find any of these problems with Ubuntu. Quoting
>> Robert de Niro, f*ck Apple ;)
>
> well, but is very weird.
> most of use work on mac and we do not have this problems (yes the one about the signed VM, but just that one).
>
> Esteban
>

>> El 13/6/18 a les 21:55, Tim Mackinnon ha escrit:
>>> Have you tried the 32bit version - just to rule that out? You did the 64bit version - not sure how El Capitan faired with that?
>>>

>> --
>> Salut!
>>
>> Jordi Delgado
>>
>> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
>> Campus Nord, Omega building,
>> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
>> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
>> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
>> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

--
Salut!

Jordi Delgado

Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Campus Nord, Omega building,
Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
08034 Barcelona, Spain.
Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Tim Mackinnon
I guess we should work out which vm still works and put that as a footnote on the installation page? Possibly not worth fixing it for something several os versions black?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 14 Jun 2018, at 09:37, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I checked with Sierra and High Sierra, both Pharo and Squeak and everything works ok.
>
> Thus, I guess some change/improvement was done to the vm's that broke them for El Capitan.
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> On 13/06/18 23:41, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 22:57, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I did. Same result.
>>>
>>> All the same happens with the latest version of Squeak.
>>>
>>> I tried with High Sierra. In HS Pharo 6.1 starts, the image opens but
>>> then it complains about not being able to create some file in
>>> /Private/var/... and the image becomes unusable. In High Sierra the
>>> latest version of Squeak opens correctly.
>> this is because you are trying to execute a non-signed VM then it puts you in a sandbox.
>> easy fix: copy your VM into Applications and execute from there.
>>>
>>> Tomorrow I will try with Sierra, on a clean computer (a computer that
>>> never had a Smalltalk installed in it).
>>>
>>> I insist. You do not find any of these problems with Ubuntu. Quoting
>>> Robert de Niro, f*ck Apple ;)
>> well, but is very weird.
>> most of use work on mac and we do not have this problems (yes the one about the signed VM, but just that one).
>> Esteban
>>>
>>> El 13/6/18 a les 21:55, Tim Mackinnon ha escrit:
>>>>

>>> --
>>> Salut!
>>>
>>> Jordi Delgado
>>>
>>> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
>>> Campus Nord, Omega building,
>>> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
>>> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
>>> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
>>> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8
>>>

> --
> Salut!
>
> Jordi Delgado
>
> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
> Campus Nord, Omega building,
> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Jordi Delgado-2
I think that is a great idea. El Capitan is not that old and I bet there
are a lot of computers still running it.

In my case, an iMac bought in 2007 with 4Gb ram, 512 Gb SSD disk and El
Capitan works like a charm, and I'm not going to quit using it until it
stops working. It's a pity that I cannot run the latest Pharo in it (I
have no problem with the latest versions of any of the other software I
regularly use).

What you suggest is quite reasonable. Offering a Pharo 6.1 for OS X
pre-Sierra (as far as you can go backwards in time) would be great.
Provided it is possible, of course (maybe 6.1 images do not run in
previous vm's; I do not know).

On 14/06/18 10:44, Tim Mackinnon wrote:

> I guess we should work out which vm still works and put that as a footnote on the installation page? Possibly not worth fixing it for something several os versions black?
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 14 Jun 2018, at 09:37, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I checked with Sierra and High Sierra, both Pharo and Squeak and everything works ok.
>>
>> Thus, I guess some change/improvement was done to the vm's that broke them for El Capitan.
>>
>> Thanks for your answers.

>>> this is because you are trying to execute a non-signed VM then it puts you in a sandbox.
>>> easy fix: copy your VM into Applications and execute from there.

>>> well, but is very weird.
>>> most of use work on mac and we do not have this problems (yes the one about the signed VM, but just that one).
>>> Esteban

>> --
>> Salut!
>>
>> Jordi Delgado
>>
>> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
>> Campus Nord, Omega building,
>> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
>> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
>> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
>> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

--
Salut!

Jordi Delgado

Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
Campus Nord, Omega building,
Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
08034 Barcelona, Spain.
Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Tim Mackinnon

I think you can run the latest Pharo but with a slighter older vm with no issue (not sure - but think I’ve heard folks say this)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 14 Jun 2018, at 09:58, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think that is a great idea. El Capitan is not that old and I bet there are a lot of computers still running it.
>
> In my case, an iMac bought in 2007 with 4Gb ram, 512 Gb SSD disk and El Capitan works like a charm, and I'm not going to quit using it until it stops working. It's a pity that I cannot run the latest Pharo in it (I have no problem with the latest versions of any of the other software I regularly use).
>
> What you suggest is quite reasonable. Offering a Pharo 6.1 for OS X pre-Sierra (as far as you can go backwards in time) would be great. Provided it is possible, of course (maybe 6.1 images do not run in previous vm's; I do not know).
>
>> On 14/06/18 10:44, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
>> I guess we should work out which vm still works and put that as a footnote on the installation page? Possibly not worth fixing it for something several os versions black?
>> Tim
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On 14 Jun 2018, at 09:37, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I checked with Sierra and High Sierra, both Pharo and Squeak and everything works ok.
>>>
>>> Thus, I guess some change/improvement was done to the vm's that broke them for El Capitan.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your answers.

>>> --
>>> Salut!
>>>
>>> Jordi Delgado
>>>
>>> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
>>> Campus Nord, Omega building,
>>> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
>>> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
>>> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
>>> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8
>>>

> --
> Salut!
>
> Jordi Delgado
>
> Computer Science Department - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
> Campus Nord, Omega building,
> Office S115 c/Jordi Girona Salgado, 1-3
> 08034 Barcelona, Spain.
> Phone: +34.93.413.40.18
> Public Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB7911543AD9E79A8

Re: Recent Pharo does not work (to me) with "El Capitan"

Marcus Denker-4

> On 13 Jun 2018, at 23:41, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Jun 2018, at 22:57, Jordi Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I did. Same result.
>>
>> All the same happens with the latest version of Squeak.
>>
>> I tried with High Sierra. In HS Pharo 6.1 starts, the image opens but
>> then it complains about not being able to create some file in
>> /Private/var/... and the image becomes unusable. In High Sierra the
>> latest version of Squeak opens correctly.
>
> this is because you are trying to execute a non-signed VM then it puts you in a sandbox.
> easy fix: copy your VM into Applications and execute from there.

For the .image, what happens is that if you de-compress with the finder, it will set a special extendend attribute.

(this would not happen if we would ship the .image not in a .zip file but instead in a signed .dmg).

You can execute

        sudo xattr -d com.apple.quarantine myImage.image

and then the image will not started in a sandbox.

We really should change the build and ship everything for the mac in signed .dmg files, else this is so arcane that it confuses everyone.

        Marcus