Quantcast

Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Chris Winemiller
I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services described by
WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL files.  The WSDL
files are a given (i.e. already defined).  Connections between clients and
servers is supposed to be over SSL. I'll be implementing all this in VW 7.4.

I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any other VW
7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on these subjects.
  Can anyone recommend specific books?

Chris

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

jarober
I did a screencast on the client wizards for this here:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3304946125



At 12:24 PM 2/22/2006, you wrote:

>I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services described
>by WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL files.  The
>WSDL files are a given (i.e. already defined).  Connections between
>clients and servers is supposed to be over SSL. I'll be implementing all
>this in VW 7.4.
>
>I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any
>other VW 7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on
>these subjects.  Can anyone recommend specific books?
>
>Chris

<Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Chris Winemiller
James,

I've already used the wizard.  Very nice, but I need to understand concepts
better.  Also, I have some specific questions I'll post in a separate email.

Chris

James Robertson wrote:

> I did a screencast on the client wizards for this here:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3304946125 
>
>
>
>
> At 12:24 PM 2/22/2006, you wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services
>> described by WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL
>> files.  The WSDL files are a given (i.e. already defined).  
>> Connections between clients and servers is supposed to be over SSL.
>> I'll be implementing all this in VW 7.4.
>>
>> I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any
>> other VW 7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on
>> these subjects.  Can anyone recommend specific books?
>>
>> Chris

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

kobetic
In reply to this post by Chris Winemiller
Best SSL book I know is http://www.rtfm.com/sslbook/.

Note that VW doesn't have an officially supported HTTPS server solution
yet. If you're willing to try bleeding edge, you can take a look at the
Opentalk-HTTPS and Opentalk-Web packages (they are part of the
OpentalkSOAP bundle) in the public repository.

Alternatively you can have the VW server sit behind a third party web
server like Apache or IIS and hook it up using one of the Wave gateways
(which are supported). That way the web server takes care of the SSL
stuff for you.

HTH,

Martin

Chris Winemiller wrote:

> I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services
> described by WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL
> files.  The WSDL files are a given (i.e. already defined).  Connections
> between clients and servers is supposed to be over SSL. I'll be
> implementing all this in VW 7.4.
>
> I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any
> other VW 7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on
> these subjects.  Can anyone recommend specific books?
>
> Chris
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Chris Winemiller
Martin Kobetic wrote:

> Best SSL book I know is http://www.rtfm.com/sslbook/.
>
> Note that VW doesn't have an officially supported HTTPS server solution
> yet. If you're willing to try bleeding edge, you can take a look at the
> Opentalk-HTTPS and Opentalk-Web packages (they are part of the
> OpentalkSOAP bundle) in the public repository.
>
> Alternatively you can have the VW server sit behind a third party web
> server like Apache or IIS and hook it up using one of the Wave gateways
> (which are supported). That way the web server takes care of the SSL
> stuff for you.

Martin, VW 7.4 has an SSL implementation.  In the parcel browser you'll find
it in the "Security" section within the "Suggestions" tab.  Is this particular
SSL implementation buggy or otherwise unsuitable for use?  Do you know if I
can use it in conjunction with the VW WSDL components so I can implement a web
service that clients will contact over an SSL connection?

Chris

>
> HTH,
>
> Martin
>
> Chris Winemiller wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services
>> described by WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL
>> files.  The WSDL files are a given (i.e. already defined).  
>> Connections between clients and servers is supposed to be over SSL.
>> I'll be implementing all this in VW 7.4.
>>
>> I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any
>> other VW 7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on
>> these subjects.  Can anyone recommend specific books?
>>
>> Chris
>>
>>
>
>
>

--
Chris Winemiller                mailTo:[hidden email]
Adventa Control Technologies    Voice: 972-543-1683
3001 East Plano Parkway #100
Plano TX 75074-7422
http://www.AdventaCT.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
In reply to this post by Chris Winemiller
Presumably Martin would know, he wrote it ;)

That's not SSL server implementation though, this is SSL client
implementation for HTTPS clients etc AFAIK.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.
4th floor 595 Howe Street
Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
attachments.

Thank you.
 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Winemiller [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 3:20 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?
>
> Martin Kobetic wrote:
>
> > Best SSL book I know is http://www.rtfm.com/sslbook/.
> >
> > Note that VW doesn't have an officially supported HTTPS server
> > solution yet. If you're willing to try bleeding edge, you
> can take a
> > look at the Opentalk-HTTPS and Opentalk-Web packages (they
> are part of
> > the OpentalkSOAP bundle) in the public repository.
> >
> > Alternatively you can have the VW server sit behind a third
> party web
> > server like Apache or IIS and hook it up using one of the Wave
> > gateways (which are supported). That way the web server
> takes care of
> > the SSL stuff for you.
>
> Martin, VW 7.4 has an SSL implementation.  In the parcel
> browser you'll find it in the "Security" section within the
> "Suggestions" tab.  Is this particular SSL implementation
> buggy or otherwise unsuitable for use?  Do you know if I can
> use it in conjunction with the VW WSDL components so I can
> implement a web service that clients will contact over an SSL
> connection?
>
> Chris
>
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > Chris Winemiller wrote:
> >
> >> I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services
> >> described by WSDL files and also *use* Web services
> described by WSDL
> >> files.  The WSDL files are a given (i.e. already defined).
> >> Connections between clients and servers is supposed to be
> over SSL.
> >> I'll be implementing all this in VW 7.4.
> >>
> >> I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide,
> WebServices.  Any
> >> other VW 7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market
> for books
> >> on these subjects.  Can anyone recommend specific books?
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> Chris Winemiller                mailTo:[hidden email]
> Adventa Control Technologies    Voice: 972-543-1683
> 3001 East Plano Parkway #100
> Plano TX 75074-7422
> http://www.AdventaCT.com
>
>

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

kobetic
In reply to this post by Chris Winemiller
Chris Winemiller wrote:
> Martin, VW 7.4 has an SSL implementation.  In the parcel browser you'll
> find it in the "Security" section within the "Suggestions" tab.  Is this
> particular SSL implementation buggy or otherwise unsuitable for use?

I sure hope not :-). It's certainly supposed to be fully functional.

> Do you know if I can use it in conjunction with the VW WSDL components so I
> can implement a web service that clients will contact over an SSL
> connection?

That's what the Opentalk-HTTPS package is all about, however we don't
officially ship it yet, or any other "out of the box" HTTPS server. That
said, I don't know that Opentalk-HTTPS is not good enough, but we didn't
  exercise it too much yet, so I can't say that it is good enough either.

Situation is better on the client side, where we do have an officially
supported HTTPS capable HttpClient that can be (and was) used for web
services clients.

Martin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

kobetic
In reply to this post by Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Boris Popov wrote:
> That's not SSL server implementation though, this is SSL client
> implementation for HTTPS clients etc AFAIK.

The SSL implementation has all the SSL server features as well, however
SSL server isn't the same thing as HTTPS server. You need to put HTTP
and SSL and some server side infrastructure together to get an HTTPS
server. And we don't ship anything like that yet, even though it
shouldn't be terribly difficult to do and we do have all the pieces of
the puzzle already. That's all I meant.

My main concern is that SSL on the server side is a completely different
ball game. It's not uncommon for busy HTTPS servers to employ all kinds
of hardware accelerators and load balancing setups to handle the volume.
      A back room server handling couple of simple requests a minute
shouldn't be a problem, but a busy server pumping data through a number
of concurrent connections is a different story. Until we actually do
some serious testing and see what it does under load, I can't feel too
confident about it.

Anyway, in the mean time, Opentalk-HTTPS is available in the public
repository, and I would sure appreciate any feedback about it.

Martin

Loading...