Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Chris Winemiller
I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services described by
WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL files.  The WSDL
files are a given (i.e. already defined).  Connections between clients and
servers is supposed to be over SSL. I'll be implementing all this in VW 7.4.

I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any other VW
7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on these subjects.
  Can anyone recommend specific books?

Chris

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

jarober
I did a screencast on the client wizards for this here:

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3304946125

At 12:24 PM 2/22/2006, you wrote:

>I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services described
>by WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL files.  The
>WSDL files are a given (i.e. already defined).  Connections between
>clients and servers is supposed to be over SSL. I'll be implementing all
>this in VW 7.4.
>
>I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any
>other VW 7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on
>these subjects.  Can anyone recommend specific books?
>
>Chris

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Chris Winemiller
James,

I've already used the wizard.  Very nice, but I need to understand concepts
better.  Also, I have some specific questions I'll post in a separate email.

Chris

James Robertson wrote:

> I did a screencast on the client wizards for this here:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView?showComments=true&entry=3304946125
>

> At 12:24 PM 2/22/2006, you wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a project in which I must implement Web services
>> described by WSDL files and also *use* Web services described by WSDL
>> files.  The WSDL files are a given (i.e. already defined).
>> Connections between clients and servers is supposed to be over SSL.
>> I'll be implementing all this in VW 7.4.
>>
>> I've been reading these VW 7.4 docs: SecurityGuide, WebServices.  Any
>> other VW 7.4 docs I should read?  Also, I'm in the market for books on
>> these subjects.  Can anyone recommend specific books?
>>
>> Chris

Re: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

kobetic
Best SSL book I know is http://www.rtfm.com/sslbook/.

Note that VW doesn't have an officially supported HTTPS server solution
yet. If you're willing to try bleeding edge, you can take a look at the
Opentalk-HTTPS and Opentalk-Web packages (they are part of the
OpentalkSOAP bundle) in the public repository.

Alternatively you can have the VW server sit behind a third party web
server like Apache or IIS and hook it up using one of the Wave gateways
(which are supported). That way the web server takes care of the SSL
stuff for you.

HTH,

Martin

Martin Kobetic wrote:

> Best SSL book I know is http://www.rtfm.com/sslbook/.
>
> Note that VW doesn't have an officially supported HTTPS server solution
> yet. If you're willing to try bleeding edge, you can take a look at the
> Opentalk-HTTPS and Opentalk-Web packages (they are part of the
> OpentalkSOAP bundle) in the public repository.
>
> Alternatively you can have the VW server sit behind a third party web
> server like Apache or IIS and hook it up using one of the Wave gateways
> (which are supported). That way the web server takes care of the SSL
> stuff for you.

Martin, VW 7.4 has an SSL implementation.  In the parcel browser you'll find
it in the "Security" section within the "Suggestions" tab.  Is this particular
SSL implementation buggy or otherwise unsuitable for use?  Do you know if I
can use it in conjunction with the VW WSDL components so I can implement a web
service that clients will contact over an SSL connection?

Chris

--
Chris Winemiller                mailTo:[hidden email]
Adventa Control Technologies    Voice: 972-543-1683
http://www.AdventaCT.com

RE: Recommended books for WSDL, XML Schema, SOAP, SSL?

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Presumably Martin would know, he wrote it ;)

That's not SSL server implementation though, this is SSL client
implementation for HTTPS clients etc AFAIK.

Cheers!

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Chris Winemiller wrote:
> Martin, VW 7.4 has an SSL implementation.  In the parcel browser you'll
> find it in the "Security" section within the "Suggestions" tab.  Is this
> particular SSL implementation buggy or otherwise unsuitable for use?

I sure hope not :-). It's certainly supposed to be fully functional.

> Do you know if I can use it in conjunction with the VW WSDL components so I
> can implement a web service that clients will contact over an SSL
> connection?

That's what the Opentalk-HTTPS package is all about, however we don't
officially ship it yet, or any other "out of the box" HTTPS server. That
said, I don't know that Opentalk-HTTPS is not good enough, but we didn't
  exercise it too much yet, so I can't say that it is good enough either.

Situation is better on the client side, where we do have an officially
supported HTTPS capable HttpClient that can be (and was) used for web
services clients.

Martin

Boris Popov wrote:
> That's not SSL server implementation though, this is SSL client
> implementation for HTTPS clients etc AFAIK.

The SSL implementation has all the SSL server features as well, however
SSL server isn't the same thing as HTTPS server. You need to put HTTP
and SSL and some server side infrastructure together to get an HTTPS
server. And we don't ship anything like that yet, even though it
shouldn't be terribly difficult to do and we do have all the pieces of
the puzzle already. That's all I meant.

My main concern is that SSL on the server side is a completely different
ball game. It's not uncommon for busy HTTPS servers to employ all kinds
of hardware accelerators and load balancing setups to handle the volume.
      A back room server handling couple of simple requests a minute
shouldn't be a problem, but a busy server pumping data through a number
of concurrent connections is a different story. Until we actually do
some serious testing and see what it does under load, I can't feel too
confident about it.

Anyway, in the mean time, Opentalk-HTTPS is available in the public
repository, and I would sure appreciate any feedback about it.

Martin