Recommended logging API?

Sébastien Bigaret

     Hi all,

Is there a recommended package to use for logging?
I've found out that Object>>log exists and shoult be used instead of
Transcript>>show, and
http://www.mail-archive.com/setools@.../msg00108.html
speaks about different packages or "adapters".
Is there a recommended one or a recommended way of doing it in Pharo?
(and/or a document I should read)
Thanks for any advice.

__ Sébastien.

Re: Recommended logging API?

Sébastien Bigaret
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:42:06 +0200
Sébastien Bigaret <[hidden email]> wrote:

>      Hi all,
>
> Is there a recommended package to use for logging?
> I've found out that Object>>log exists and shoult be used instead of
> Transcript>>show, and
> http://www.mail-archive.com/setools@.../msg00108.html
> speaks about different packages or "adapters".
> Is there a recommended one or a recommended way of doing it in Pharo?
> (and/or a document I should read)
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> __ Sébastien.
Oops, sorry, I had missed the dedicated page in the collaborActiv book:
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/LanguageAndLibraries/LoggingTools/?_s=DP7qdTBG3pNxqdrS&_k=rqGT_X7QE5Uz2RZo&_n&5

I guess it gathers the recommended approaches I was searching for.

__ Sébastien.

Re: Recommended logging API?

Hi sebastien

it depends which level of logging you want to do. For simple internal logs use Object log
else I would use toothpick

Stef

On Aug 12, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Sébastien Bigaret wrote:

>     Hi all,
>
> Is there a recommended package to use for logging?
> I've found out that Object>>log exists and shoult be used instead of
> Transcript>>show, and
> http://www.mail-archive.com/setools@.../msg00108.html
> speaks about different packages or "adapters".
> Is there a recommended one or a recommended way of doing it in Pharo?
> (and/or a document I should read)
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> __ Sébastien.

Re: Recommended logging API?

Sébastien Bigaret
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:27:36 +0200
Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi sebastien
>
> it depends which level of logging you want to do. For simple internal
> logs use Object log else I would use toothpick
>

> Stef

Thanks --I definitely want to be able to use different logging levels, so I'll have a close look at Toothpick.

__ Sébastien.